PDA

View Full Version : Call for articles!

scottb
06-30-2002, 01:26 AM
Hey glass folks, now that you've found your own corner of WC!, how about some folks volunteering to put some articles together on the "basics"? Like many of our members here, I'm new to the glass scene. I'd love to see an article on the basic materials needed, and possibly some beginner techniques. Any takers? :D

Cheers.
Scott

BlackDotMags
06-30-2002, 02:11 AM
Hi, Scott :)

Basic hot glass instruction is too broad and complex a topic for an article or two to cover, mostly because one needs to first thoroughly understand the safety aspects of working with 1700 degree molten glass and tanked fuel gases. There are whole books written on the subject, but even those still leave a novice glass worker for want of more detailed information. I'd hate to have someone get seriously injured or killed from lack of adequate knowledge.

The best course of action, IMO, for someone wanting to get into this field is to take a class with a knowledgeable, experienced hot glass instructor.

An article on techniques, on the other hand, is very do-able, and I'd be willing to write one or more for the website. :)

Mags
~~~~~~

Mike E etc
06-30-2002, 08:38 AM
I did read up on the article process. I have one in mind.
Mike E

generationsglass
06-30-2002, 09:01 AM
I've also got an idea for an article that I plan to start working on this week.

Elankat
06-30-2002, 09:27 AM
Eventually, I'll be doing one on the basics of how large scale furnace work is done. I don't need to worry so much about the safety issues, since it's very expensive to set up and if you locate a shop, the master blower won't let you just step in the hot shop. :)

b2beads
06-30-2002, 09:43 AM
You guys are all so great! Can't wait to read all these. And LeAnne, I'm fascinated by furnace work - can't wait to learn more. I have not heard of any hot shops locally, but I know of one or two in Omaha. Need to check them out!

B2 :clap:

Dale_M
06-30-2002, 12:06 PM
I have something, how do I submit it to you for approval and posting?

Dale

paintfool
06-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Dale, at the top of this page you'll see drop down menus. Look to the one one the left that says 'community' in there you'll see the article publisher. But here's a cheat link for you. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Publisher/
Thanks and welcome to WC!

paintfool
06-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Mags, lets change the word 'basic' to introductory'. While all articles are welcomed and appreciated i'd like to see one that introduces us to glass art. I may or may not ever try this but would love to learn the hows and whys of this fantastic art form. A lot of us have no idea of what is involved. I think a walk through would help people decide whether or not this is something that they'd like to pursue. If anything at least we'll be left with some idea of what it's all about. :) Materials, equipment, safety issues and precautions as well as what can be achieved would be a good start. I understand that there's far more to this procedure than can be packed into one article and that's exactly why a starting point would be a very good thing for me!

BlackDotMags
06-30-2002, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Paintfool, for the clarification. I sometimes forget how foreign this must all seem to folks who've never seen the process before.

Mags :)
~~~~~

Elankat
06-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Okay, I'm currently working on one that talks about the properties of glass and how it relates to the hot glass artist. I hope to have it done in the next day or so.

It's part of my usual narrative that I do when we give live demos at the Renaissance festival, so I don't anticipate it taking too long. :)

paintfool
06-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Sounds wonderful Elenkat. Yes Mags, foreign is a good word for it. The closest most of us have been to it would be standing watching in awe at Disney world :D

Elankat
06-30-2002, 03:27 PM
Well, lovely. I had a decent amount written and went to save it.

Guess what?

"There seems to have been a slight problem with the WetCanvas! database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Now I have to rewrite it.

Dale_M
06-30-2002, 11:16 PM
If we submit an article, and its is approved, where do we go to read it. Better yet how do we find articles submitted by other users...

Or are they just put up in message forum.

Dale

Elankat
07-01-2002, 01:09 AM
They can be found in the channel that is associated with the article. So, for a glass article, you would just go to the "Content Channels" area at the top of the site and select "Glass Art." The article will be listed in the news and articles section on the right side of the channel. :)

llis
07-13-2002, 07:23 PM
I know a couple of you have articles in the publisher. Just wanted to tell you, if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.