PDA

View Full Version : Start of a New Series - Mountain Toppers

Quicktiming
03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I've recently been laid off and in an effort to use the time off productively, I'm painting my behind off. The idea is to follow the painting a day system. My plan -- a new (small) painting Mon-Thursday, Fridays are reserved for marketing efforts, and weekends spent working on larger pieces. So I've started a new series I'm calling "mountain toppers". This is partly to get some time practicing on skies and rocks as I try to incorporate more landscape into my works. So here are the first two pieces (one was xp to the Wildlife forum) in that series. The mountain goat is a 24x12 panel, and the big horn sheep is an 10x8 on stretched canvas. I think a bear and a cougar next.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2008/107603-mountain_goat.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2008/107603-big_horn.jpg

polarbear
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I really like these two pieces. I usually hang out in the wildlife forum, but I must have missed your post there. I sure wish I could paint half as fast as you seem to be able to. Are you going to have to go back to work, or are you taking the leap and going to paint full time now? Being laid off just might be that silver lining. Good luck either way.

Quicktiming
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
...I sure wish I could paint half as fast as you seem to be able to. Are you going to have to go back to work, or are you taking the leap and going to paint full time now?

If I could make a living painting, I'd be as happy as a pig in poop. I am sending out resumes, but not having a lot of luck at it. So in the meantime, I'm approaching my painting as a job. I get up in the morning, take a shower and get dressed just like I was going to work, and then I take care of stuff on the computer (email, my blogs, job listings and auctions) till about 10AM, then hit the studio. After lunch I'm back in the studio again till 5PM or so. Sometimes I add a bit before bedtime to that. I'm really trying hard to be disciplined and focused. Now all I need are more and/or higher dollar sales.

Diane Cutter
03-02-2008, 06:47 AM
These are great! I especially like the loose brushwork of the mountain goat! Can't wait to see the others!

Diane

Jprice022
03-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Quicktiming

I like both of these. The big horn seems to be of a different style but still very good.

Good luck on sales. You seem to be working hard enough at producing your work. I can't paint that many hours but if I was hungry enough I could probably manage it.

Thanks for sharing your paintings.

John

Quicktiming
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Quicktiming

I like both of these. The big horn seems to be of a different style but still very good. John

They are really both more similar than they look. My style tends toward to be looser, more painterly. The difference you are seeing is that the sheep is being reduced less than the goat. It makes the brish work on the sheep more visible.

HarvestMoon
03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
these are both terrific- I esp. love the first one- so majestic!

2bears
03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I really hope it works out that you can paint full time. You have a wonderful style and, with your disciplined approach to your day, I'm certain you will find the right market soon.