PDA

View Full Version : Maggie Price's sunlight/shadow underpainting technique

Punky2
02-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I tried the sunlight/shadow underpainting technique found in Maggie Price's book. I used 4 values each of yellow and blue.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Feb-2008/74403-colors.jpg
I liked using this underpainting because I have a very hard time judging values and this helped alot. It helped me to see the sunlight before thinking about color. Here is the underpainting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Feb-2008/74403-JustBeyond3_copy.jpg

Here is the almost finished painting. 13" x 20" on Wallis.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Feb-2008/74403-JustBeyond8_copy.jpg

I wanted to convey the sense of exploring around the next corner and seeing something new when out hiking about. For my level of work, I'm not unhappy with this but I'm sure there are many things wrong with it. I'd be happy to hear anyone's suggestions.

klord
02-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Terri, THis is fabulous! I love the color harmony and you really captured that desire of wanting to go just a little bit farther to see what is behind that twist in the trail. You really nailed the sense of light. If it were mine I wouldn't change a thing. Congratulations!

David Patterson
02-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Wonderful job depicting light Terri! Great painting!

David

Punky2
02-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Kim thank you so much!

David thank you too!

Deborah Secor
02-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Terri, I think it's wonderful! :clap:

I love the light you created along the tops of the trees and that little bit of highlight on the water is lovely. The shapes of the bluffs and that distant mesa are great, and the light on them is very well done. I'm particularly interested in the right hand side of this painting, from the color of the sky to the backlit, silhouetted tree, the meandering creek and shadowed bushes and grasses--beautiful! I would think you'd be very pleased with this. Sure, there are a couple things you chould change but I hope you'll just enjoy looking at it for a while... Be satisfied with a well-painted piece.

Deborah

mississhippi
03-01-2008, 04:24 AM
I really like how you did the underpainting. It makes sense of the lights and darks before you get started painting.

The end product looks lovely.

Punky2
03-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Thank you very much Deborah! I've learned soooo much from reading your posts here on WC. Trying to apply what I've learned is another story. The water is actually supposed to be a path. I am happy with the right side of the painting but not so much the left. When I was putting in the sky colors after doing the underpainting, I kept telling myself to not cover up all of the yellow that will be behind the dark tree on the right. I think that's why the light came out fairly well there.

Thank you too Elaine!

Donna T
03-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Terri, this turned out beautifully! Thanks for showing your underpainting. I love to see how you followed the values and added the colors to make this gorgeous scene.

Donna

DAK723
03-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Very nice! And a great way to show us the value of underpainting.

Don

Colorix
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Very nice indeed! You can be very proud of catching the light and the scene so well! Isn't life much easier when you separate light and shadow from the start, eh? Thank you for showing the success!

Willemke
03-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I have to agree, it is very well painted.

water girl
03-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Thank you for posting the underpainting. It just reminds us of one of the elements of a successful painting. Your painting is successful on many levels. I have to say I'm enjoying traveling through this piece.

*Violet*
03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
i can't imagine why you'd be unhappy with this lovely painting !! ... the light you've captured pulls the viewer into and through your painting inviting a glance up into the rugged cliffs and back down to the path ... simply lovely !!

Tracer
03-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Beautiful....I love the light!

Punky2
03-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Donna thank you so much! It really helped me to just have to decide, is it in sunlight or is it in shadow, without having to worry about color just yet.

Don, thank you! I had been reading so many posts about the different underpaintings that people have been doing and decided to give it a try. It really helps.

Charlie thank you! It is much easier.

Willemke thank you!

Karen thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Violet thank you!

Tracer thank you!

Now I want to try some more underpaintings of various kinds.