PDA

View Full Version : Generations Glass-6/28

generationsglass
06-29-2002, 02:02 PM
Hey ya'll,
This is a piece I made yesterday, took it out of the kiln this morning and wanted to post it.

I did have a little inspiration for this one after watching Easyrider for about the 100th time. Just wanted to do a "lowrider" feeling piece.

generationsglass
06-29-2002, 02:03 PM
Here's the other side.

margaretz
06-29-2002, 02:07 PM
very pretty! great color choices. I like the stripey section (pardon my lack of techinical jargon) near the mouthpiece.

Elankat
06-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Very groovy.

I can see the motorcycle influence, but it also reminds me of an oriental dragon. Ever done a dragon pipe?

little dreamer
06-29-2002, 06:05 PM
~absolute beauty~

rightbrainbeads
06-29-2002, 06:30 PM
wow, kristian, that is amazing! i love the shape, the design and the colors...

just beautiful!

lynne

BlackDotMags
06-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Hey, Kristian! Great to see you here!! :)

Yep, hon, you got that "lowrider" look for sure with this one! I'm especially interested to hear how you tweaked the glass into that funky triskellion shape on the bowl area. Waay kewl!

(drooling on her keyboard)
Mags :)

Mike E etc
06-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Kristian,
you nailed the look and you have people here who appreciate the ebb and flow of a good piece of art.
Mike, this is fun, E

dnip24
06-30-2002, 12:43 AM
looks amazing! Thanks to sharing it!

b2beads
06-30-2002, 03:52 AM
Great piece!

I'm with Mags - I'm sittin' here trying to figure out how you did that design on the bowl..........................time's up - I've got no clue! It's wonderful!

B2:confused:

Modesto
06-30-2002, 05:28 AM
Wow, I see the entire bike end to end, seat, bars and, headlight. Then you contribute more...you dazzle my eyes with not one but, what really can be considered 3 separate and, exciting splashes of imagination and color. I think even Dave Mann would be humbled.

generationsglass
06-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the kind response everyone!!!

Hey Mags and B2, I'm not quite sure I know which design you are asking about. Triskellion? Just let me know which designs you would like to know more about and I would be more than happy to explain.

LeAnne, now that I look back at it and get the chopper out of view I do see the dragon. I have made dragon oil burners in the past, but not in a while. It may be my next project to work on that again. That is when I get caught up on orders again.

b2beads
06-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Kristian - it's what looks to me like the main design on each side of the bowl. From my monitor, looks kinda like there is yellows, blue, some red. I thought it actually looked a bit like paisley, but with out the round edges.

Any designs with sharp angles fascinate me, and in that design, the stripes come to points. Hmm, not sure if I'm describing it right, and now the picture isn't visible...grr.

Anyway, it's just amazing! Beth

generationsglass
06-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Ok, I think I got you now.
That's what I call a switch back. I took a tube, flared it out, layed stringers, closed it back down into a tube, heat a small section at at time and tiwst the lines back and forth all the way down the tube. I then attached it to each end of the red tube(made that before hand) and blew the whole thing into a bubble. After that pop a hole 90 degrees from your blowtube, and attach another blowtube to the new hole. Remove the original blowtube and shape the bubble(I added some more color tube to the ends and another inside out section to one end before shaping).

I hope that makes sense, I'm not very well known for my descriptions making sense.;)

Glassy79
06-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Harold
Wow, I see the entire bike end to end, seat, bars and, headlight. Then you contribute more...you dazzle my eyes with not one but, what really can be considered 3 separate and, exciting splashes of imagination and color. I think even Dave Mann would be humbled.

Harold this is a real 79 Lowrider

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2002/79_Lowrider.JPG

Posted by Glassy79 (aka GlassLowrider)

Modesto
07-01-2002, 08:00 AM
69 Pan

I think I only put about 3,000 miles on this one Richard.

My first was a 51 Sprint...I think:cool:

Glassy79
07-01-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Harold
69 Pan

Nice one Harold, but it's a hard riding springer. Wouldn't want to take it on a long trip like the one I did in 1990 riding round trip to and from Sturgis SD from CT. the trip was 4860 miles. And I made it on my Lowrider.

candygrrl
07-02-2002, 08:13 PM
You know, I didn't actually realize that was a pipe until someone mentioned it on down in the thread. :o I thought it was just a cool piece of sculpture... (it's that too!) Nice work!

off to make beads... must...stop...reading...forums....!!!

Candace

macbeth7
07-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Wow Kristian, that is amazing!

I didn't realize it was a pipe either, Candace.

Cool!
:D
Beth

Modesto
07-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Funny how labels work in changing the perception.

macbeth7
07-02-2002, 10:46 PM
I just thought it was an amazing sculpture/hollow piece of glasswork. I went back to the pictures, & saw things I didn't before. :)

Beth

candygrrl
07-03-2002, 09:20 AM
by the way, just as a clarification, I don't care and am not offended that its a pipe :D I just felt silly that I didn't recognize it, heh heh. I've seen them before, but that one is much cooler than any I have come across.

Looked like a dragon to me, as I didn't know what a lowrider was till I asked hubby and have never seen Easy Rider. :p

Candace

generationsglass
07-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Thanks Ya'll,
I have noticed that the people here seem to be more open minded about pipes in the aspect of art.;) I mean I run a board that is 90% pipe makers but other than that one most glass boards are very down on pipes and think they can't be considered art.

I like the fact that WC is an ART influence board all around!

Modesto
07-03-2002, 09:41 AM
I was thinking back on a recent encounter with a family friend:

I showed her the picture of Kristian's Glass Art and her response was..."Oh so beautiful and, the colors...where can I get one?"

My response was "It's also a pipe, and you can e-mail...."

She cut me off at that point..."Oh, what would I want with one of those things?"

My post reply wasn't directed toward anyone here but, some did cause me to remember the encounter.

macbeth7
07-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Hey, I've got nothing against pipes, or motorcycles for that matter. :D

Beth

BlackDotMags
07-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Amen, Kristian, on this being an ART board!

Whether it's to hang on a wall, wear around your neck, or has some other practical use means little in the larger context. Good design, flawless technique, and creativity all know no boundaries!

Mags :)

b2beads
07-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Hmm, funny how I knew right away it was a pipe....:D Not from any historical firsthand experience, of course! :angel:

B2 (who's highschool/college days are showing...opps!)

PS - wow, until now, I couldn't figure out when I'd ever use that "angel" icon...

macbeth7
07-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Geez Beth, I think we may have more in common than just the name thing!

:angel:
Beth

BlackDotMags
07-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Ditto, Beth! (snork, sheepish grin) ;)

Mags

generationsglass
07-03-2002, 03:32 PM
:evil: Oh, I'm getting a kick out of this!

Funny thing is I haven't done any of that since high school and started making glass pipes after I had stopped.

It was a great way to learn lampworking and make money at the same time so that I could further my glass education and addiction!:D

flamewerks
07-03-2002, 03:52 PM
Stunning pipe, Kristan.

Here's a funny story. (Well, to me, at least...) I have some postcards on the walls in my studio, many of which have pictures of pipes and torches. Sometimes my student's children will come in to wait for their parents and look at the postcards. It always cracks me up when they ask, "Uh, do you *know* what that is???"

I usually say, "No, hon. What is it?" and wink at their parents.

Of course, then they clam up because "Mom/Dad" is also interested in knowing what they know about it.

They forget, I may look like a mild-mannered, middle-aged lady, but I've been there, done that, tie-dyed the t-shirt. :evil:

Sadly, where I live, it's illegal to even make pipes.:rolleyes:

motherbeads
07-03-2002, 04:00 PM
Has anyone posted an image of a pipe on the ISGB boards? I'm wondering if it would be pulled?

Great work, Kristen!

generationsglass
07-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Hi Motherbeads,
I did try posting a pipe on the ISGB board a long time ago(about a year and a half or two years ago). Yes, it was pulled, but I have noticed that more people there have lightened up over there since then. I have gotten emails from a few people when I would post something about making pipes that were rather rude and distasteful.

Things like that(with other glass boards as well) was the reason I started the pipe board.

I've got to say that I like the atmosphere of both boards(WC and the pipe board) and I am finding myself comming here nearly as much as the other.;)

Glassy79
07-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Those rulers over at ISGB will pull just about anything that they don't like. If your not a paid member of that forum and you post an opinon they don't like they'll jumb all over you in a dime store min. But if it's something they can use to help them. well thats a different story. Been there done that. I'm not a pipe maker. but i have to say this. They have done more with and for North Star and glass Alchemy colored rods then anyone in the glass field. And it's about time they got credit for it. that would never happen in a millions years at ISGB. I look at it as art. maybe it's a pipe, a bead, or beads, marble. what ever? it's art. Each and everyone one of us see's something different in art. Did you ever see the drawing in caves that were over a thousand years old? Art started a long long time ago. we just seem to have found a way to improve on it. and a hundred years or more from now. Improvements will still be made.

Richard

LLuvia Brito
07-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Wow, work like this puts me in awe! Its so great seeing so much talent and skill go into any piece of glass!! Can I ask about how long it took you to make this pipe? I've always been fascinated with the differences in technique in glass blowing and bead making, it just seems like so much more times ends up in blown work :D

LLuvia Brito

generationsglass
07-03-2002, 11:59 PM
Hi LLuvia,
I'd say that there is about 5 hours in that one. It took me all day but taking out the breaks I think would put it at 5. I probably could have done it quicker but it was on one of my lazy days(everybody has those every now and then). Not to mention I had to redo a couple of secitons to get it to my liking.

Mike E etc
07-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Wow:D A layed back thread:cat:. And no blood:clap: !!!!
Mike,:evil: and/or:angel: E

meesh
07-04-2002, 05:40 PM
i've seen a few pipes myself! :angel: this one is SMOKIN' :D

Modesto
07-05-2002, 09:36 AM
LOL very funny meesh:clap: