PDA

View Full Version : Paper size

AmesArt
02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
For those of you who have sold oil pastel works, what size do you find buyers (just your average buy, not galllery) are most willing to buy?

Pat Isaac
02-29-2008, 05:06 PM
That is an interesting question. Many galleries and art associations around here have small works shows every year near the holidays and these seem to sell well. No larger than 11"x 14". I tend to work relatively large and have sold these also over the years. I tend to think that if a person wants the painting and is enamored by it, he will buy it if he can afford it. I find people don't buy original work no matter the size unless it "speaks" to them. There has to be something special about it that appeals to them. I have an artist friend who consistently paints small works because she feels people will buy it. However, despite her beautiful work they don't often sell, but some of her larger pieces have.
Don't know if this answers your question.

Pat

AmesArt
03-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Hmm I guess I could work small (11x14 or so) and if someone happens to like one of the paintings but wants a bigger size, I could recreate the piece on a larger scale.

Peiwend
03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
10 x 14 is a very good size to start with. For practical considerations a 10" x 14" inch work with a 3" mat all around will fit into a standard 16" x 20" frame. Trying different sizes will allow you to find the size you are most comfortable working with.

_________________________________Wendell