PDA

View Full Version : you guys might appreciate this as much as i do...

margaretz
06-29-2002, 11:00 AM
My mom has always shown a good interest in my new glass addiction and in jewelry of all kinds. So, i sent her to a bead show in Cleveland yesterday, and jokingly told her not to spend too much money... She called me here in AZ immediately after she got home from the show to give me the report. She didn't find too many lampworked beads, but apparently managed to tell just about every hot glass artist she met about me, as moms do. Some of you may have met her... She bought a number of etched dicroic fused beads from one table. Then she found some findings, a book of postcards from the Hot Rods, and every magazine she could get her paws on. Mom wouldn't tell me how much she spent. She's already talking about getting a family membership to ISGB... I can't wait to see all of her new baubles! I'm just so happy I'm getting my mom hooked too!
(margaret doing a little excited dance)
:clap: :clap:

Lara
06-29-2002, 12:47 PM
I have my mom hooked too. She has a braclet made out of some of my early and I must say, wonky beads. She tell EVERYONE that I make beads.

Does anyone elses mom do this?:
Saying out loud at an art fair "CAN YOU DO THAT." I just want to crawl in a hole and hide. Then she'll go on to say, my daughter does beadwork and could make that. AUGH. I don't want people to think I'm stealing ideas. I tell her that I wish she wouldn't say it right in front of the booth, but she keeps doing it. Oh well, I know she loves my stuff, at least I have one fan.

Lara

cankeep
06-30-2002, 08:16 AM
This is so funny! My Mom and Dad are my biggest supporters, and my kids too of course!
My parents are addicted to watching the bead auctions on eBay since I started selling a few years ago. Mom has been making notebooks for me filled with pages of each of my eBay auctions so I'll have a record of what I've done. It's great to be able to flip through the years and see how the work has changed and progressed (or in some cases regressed!LOL!)
It's also great when I get an email asking for beads like the ones that were in an auction ages ago, and I can't remember for the life of me what they may have looked like!

My daughter just went to an art show a few weeks ago and called me to say that there were a couple lampwork artists in the show. She said that she needs some more really nice pieces to wear so she can show off some of my better work when she's out and about and the subject of beads comes up. Isn't it great that our families are so supportive?

I'm training my grandsons to be bead lovers too. When the oldest was just a few months old I noticed that he'd have a big smile when he'd see me coming, but then his little eyes would go right to my neck....he was looking for my beads! He remembered and associated me with the pretty (or perhaps tasty) beads I always wore. Ever since then I try to remember to wear something different every time I see them. Now the oldest is three and loves beads. He has one that looks like space on a leather cord and often puts it on before we go shopping. He also has a collection of different beads he's asked for like the Space shuttle (now that was a challenge!) animals, rockets and that sort of thing....now he'd like Thomas the Train and a cement mixer bead! LOL!
I'm thinking future shop assistant in a few years here. He's very much into crafts already and making things. Asked Santa for a big huge workshop just like Nana's last Christmas! LOL!
Now his little brother at six months is following in his footsteps, Always looking for the beads when he sees me. Can't start the next generation of potential glass workers (or bead connoisseurs) too early!
Lezlie