PDA

View Full Version : Hot off the Torch!

BlackDotMags
06-29-2002, 01:29 AM
Here's what I've been up to lately. Dark Sapphire Czech glass with 22kt gold leaf, encased in clear. Size = 2.25 inches.

Mag :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2002/bluekarat.jpg

b2beads
06-29-2002, 01:35 AM
Gorgeous! Was that on the Major? B2

BlackDotMags
06-29-2002, 01:40 AM
And here's another. (Gosh, I hope this isn't against protocol, posting 2 pics in one thread. Please advise.)

This one's just over an inch long, and made of Bullseye; French Vanilla, Cranberry Pink, & Dk. Royal Purple, I think. The stickiness of Bullseye lends itself well to the raking in this one. The colors stay separate, and retain their shape, rather than run together.

Mags :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2002/crantab.jpg

BlackDotMags
06-29-2002, 01:41 AM
Yep, Beth, the blue one was on the Major, however the small cranberry/purple tab was not. :)

Elankat
06-29-2002, 02:16 AM
These are both gorgeous!

It's absolutely fine to post another of your pieces in the same thread. It's just good to avoid posting your work in someone else's thread unless they request people to. It's also good to try and not load TOO many images in one thread so that the thread will load quicker for people with slower connection speeds. :) Of course, there are always exceptions. :D

rightbrainbeads
06-29-2002, 03:21 AM
wow! those are so beautiful mags! i especially love that blue czech glass-- that is a *beautiful* color! i've been thinking about buying czech glass....

lynne

Mike E etc
06-29-2002, 08:52 AM
A couple more very good beads. Colors are good and I really like the technical control. Casing over gold leaf and a bicone to-boot
What is the difference between gold leaf and 22k leaf. I had some leaf and gave it away after destroying three pieces. My preference is foil. I can staple it into a birthday card, cut it and move it around. If the 22k leaf is a LOT more workable than leaf I may have to buy some.
OK, what is a tab bead?
Mike E
PS Mags, post some of the finished ideas...

Laura Brito
06-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Wow! When are you going to send me the blue bead! hehe, I will email you my address heheh

It is so lovely, I just want to pop it in my mouth and eat it!

Laura
I must be hungry!

Kimberly Affleck
06-29-2002, 10:37 AM
I LOVE the Bullseye bead! Fabulous! I use Bullseye once in a while and the stiffer property of the glass really lends itself to some interesting designs! Great for sculptural beads, too! Way tp go!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

margaretz
06-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Lovely beads! And if Laura doesn't get the blue one, I can give you another address in Tucson that can give it a good home...
:-)
:D :D :D

Modesto
06-29-2002, 01:06 PM
There are absolutely no flaws in any of your creations both here and or on your site. Breathtaking! You are so precise, deliberate and, on target...I have to step back in awe:cool:

BlackDotMags
06-29-2002, 09:04 PM
Gosh, I'm blushing. Thank you all for the kind comments about my beads.

I know I seem like a really outgoing person on the computer (okay, admittedly I can be outspoken at times {grin}) but I'm so very shy about my work. Your support makes it easier for me to overcome my fear. I can't begin to express my gratitude. {{{virtual hugs}}}
~~~~

Lynne, you wouldn't believe how *vibrant* the Czech soda-lime glass colors are! I hope to soon try out their leaded and shampoo glass lines, too. I hear the shampoo glass is to die for!
~~~~

Laura, the blue bicone will be in the large bead exchange. :)
~~~~

Mike, the 22kt. leaf if the stuff that Mike Frantz sells. It's very, very thin and sticks to everything (especially when you don't want it to!). I've seen other suppliers carry both 22kt. and 23kt leaf. I haven't tried the gold foil yet, mostly because it costs $70 for five 4" square sheets. Ouch! The downside is the leaf breaks apart in the glass much more than foil does.

A "tab" bead is one that has been marvered flat on either side. The one I posted above was a bicone to start with, but I flattened it into the tab shape.

Heehee, dare I ask, which "finished ideas" were you referring to? ;)
~~~~

Harold, you sweetie, you...
If you think my work is flawless, remind me never to allow you near my beads with a magnifying glass!! LOL!
~~~~

Mags (who spent the day in Milwaukee, purchasing a sandblasting cabinet!) :) :)

Mike E etc
06-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Thanks Mags on the gold leaf answer. That is the stuff I destroyed. You should try some gold foil. I use 1 to 3 1/2" sections of gold foil and it will give you a great look. This is from someone who is constantly broke, it is still worth it.
Thanks on the tab thing.
Mike, still learning, E

Glassy79
06-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Mike E etc
Thanks Mags on the gold leaf answer. That is the stuff I destroyed. You should try some gold foil. I use 1 to 3 1/2" sections of gold foil and it will give you a great look. This is from someone who is constantly broke, it is still worth it.
Thanks on the tab thing.
Mike, still learning, E Did mike say constantly broke. I'm beginning to wonder if he even knows what money looks like?

Richard

Mike E etc
06-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Richard,
if one has two fiver's, what more can one want. I believe it is the biggest bill in American currency?
For the money, gold "foil" is better!
Mike, no clue, E

Glassy79
06-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Richard,
if one has two fiver's, what more can one want. I believe it is the biggest bill in American currency?
Mike, no clue, E

Glassy79
07-01-2002, 07:24 AM
Richard,
Mike, no clue, E

Mike you wouldn't be talking about the fingers on both hands when you say fivers would you?

Did you ever give any thought to panning for gold?

Richard

macbeth7
07-02-2002, 11:06 PM
Wonderful beads, Mags! I especially like the second one. I'll take that one, since the other people requested the blue one! ;)

Other forums?? I haven't even made my way through this one yet!! There are many I want to check out though!

Beth

Ann*S
07-02-2002, 11:46 PM
Mags,
Your beads are so perfect and so beautiful. They are both wonderful.
..........in a state of envy...
Ann

BlackDotMags
07-03-2002, 01:17 AM
Thank you, Beth and Ann, for your kind comments! :D

Mags
~~~~

Modesto
07-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Hey Mags,

I want to see more...I promise I won't use a magnifying glass, how many of us could really hold up under a magnifying glass anyway:D

BlackDotMags
07-03-2002, 11:35 AM
Harold, you're so fun! :)

Okay, here's a few more newer ones. I think maybe I posted them on my website the other day.

This one was me playing some more with Bullseye. The nice thing about their black is when it gets runny, it stays BLACK, not purpley like Effetre. It's Black & French Vanilla on a base of White sheet glass. I was going for a woven look, but it didn't turn out quite right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2002/blackweave.jpg

~~~~~

BlackDotMags
07-03-2002, 11:39 AM
Another attempt at a woven look. Bullseye Canary Yellow, Egyptian Blue, and Dense White. The black magically appeared! (reaction between yellow & blue, no doubt)

Mags
~~~~

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2002/egyptianbicone.jpg

BlackDotMags
07-03-2002, 11:23 PM
No, wait! I think maybe that was Dense White as the base of the black & white bead. Whatever it is, it's not very dense...more like milky.

Modesto
07-04-2002, 06:34 AM
Hey Mags,

Aren't you clever....You caused me to surf to your site again...well worth the effort...I love everything. Then of course I had to check out your past sales on e-bay...with the expectation of adding to my collection.
Check your PM...

Mike E etc
07-04-2002, 06:59 AM
Mags, it is nice when the magic comes!
Mike E

Nonie
07-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Stunning Mag...I am amazed at your work ...it's so beautiful.

Modesto
07-05-2002, 09:45 AM
Is Mag short for magic?

BillBrach
07-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Mag,

I've got at question about your long bead.

I have done a few this long and large, and I REALLY have a hard time getting them off of the mandrel. So, my questions are:

1. what brand of bead release are you using ?
2. is it a single dip or double dip of bead release ?
3. do you soak them in water, and if so, how long ?

BTW, an ABSOLUTELY GEORGOUS bead. I wish I could do one HALF as nice :cat:

Bill

BlackDotMags
07-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Harold... "Mag = short for magic"? LOL!

Bill,
The long beads are beastly to remove from the mandrel, for sure! I use a single coat of Super Blue Sludge. To remove, I soak them in water, sometimes for half a day. Playtex rubber gloves and a pliers help in the removal. You can firmly grasp the bead with the glove, while gripping the mandrel tightly with the pliers, and twist back & forth. I sometimes soak them for an hour or more in a 1:1 mix of water and CLR if they're really stuck on there.

BTW, CLR is great for loosening bead release in holes. I soak all my beads in them before cleaning. Muuuuch easier to get the release out!

(Welcomes Bill to WC!)

rightbrainbeads
07-05-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi Bill! (and welcome!)

Long beads come off easily with Alice's bead release. The only thing that I don't like about Alice's, is that the release is harder to clean off the mandrel...

lynne :)

b2beads
07-05-2002, 12:31 PM
I, too, had been using Super Blue Sludge and never had a bead stuck. I've been using Fusion lately because I'm lazy and never remember to dip the mandrels ahead, but last night I trashed two potentially nice bicones because I cracked the bead release while shaping :crying:

Mags, have you ever flame dried super blue sludge? Is it possible? BTW, I love both those beads. A woven look would be cool, but I'm not sure how you'd pull it off. I'll be interested to watch and see!

B2

BlackDotMags
07-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Beth,
About flame-drying the SBS...I really couldn't say if it works. I attempted it once, but the release really shrank down against the mandrel where I heated it, and it looked pretty freaky. I decided I didn't dare mess with the laws of chemistry, so I didn't lay any glass onto it. It somehow seemed like inviting disaster or bad karma or sumthin'. LOL!

I think *you* should try it and let me know how it goes. (passing the bowl of Life cereal to B2) ;)

Mags

Aleta
07-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Mags,

That's bluetiful!

Aleta