PDA

View Full Version : St Columba's Voyage

craftyandy
02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi there. this is a painting I finished last year (since been framed by a friend), that I thought you'd like to see. I am trying to get the energy together to do a new one soon :0). It's painted in gouache (mostly), acrylic (partly), with gold leaf and details in ink, measures about 60x40 cm on hardboard. I'm a total luddite, so I'm afraid this image is the best I can do at the moment. Also, although I'm not a snob about such things, none of the drawing was done with photoshop etc.
Hope you like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=369656&d=1188168469

Alex1
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Good job. I would like to create illuminations too.

How many hours do you estimate that took?
What medium did you use? Watercolor? Goauche? Ink?
What kind of paper did you use?

craftyandy
02-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks. It took a long loooooooooong time to do as I have only one or two eveings a week to do any painting. All told, it took about 60 hours including planning and rough drafts (slow worker). As for the other stuff, as I mentioned in the original post it is mainly gouache, some acrylic, a little ink and some gold leaf, painted on hardboard. I've done a few little calligraphy pieces, but really I enjoy doing the decoration, the lettering only provides a context for the decoration. Ideally, I'd have someone else do the calligraphy for me to decorate.:)

Alex1
02-28-2008, 06:01 PM
lol - I was so caught up in the picture I glossed over most of your original post.

For what areas did you use acrylic? It seems to me (novice) that all could have been done with gouache. The old manuscripts were done entirely in gouache I think.