PDA

View Full Version : Whos using Dick Blick brand acrylic paint

JWT
02-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Thinkin about an artist grade paint, seems cheap enough fer my taste or lack thereof. :)

Would like to see others finished works, having used dick blick brand acrylic soley. Maybe it would be the best way for me to judge if Id be able to get a different result from the DB than from what Im currently using.

Thanks

BigC
02-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I use mainly Van Goh, Windsor & Newton, and some Liquitex Basics.

I've never tried DB paint..

JWT
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Haha..ok..well...good luck with those. :confused: :D

c1omr
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I purchased a couple of tubes a few weeks back, but have not used them yet. They are not student grade, so I am assuming atleast their quality would surpase student grade.

Smoker
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I've used Dick Blick acrylics and have had no problems. I have purchased a couple colors of Golden (Which, I have been told, is the acrylic of choice.). I see and feel no difference in application.

However, I am new to the world of art. Like about 7 months. None-the-less, for this neophyte they're the same.

Smoker

idylbrush
02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the acrylics forum at wet canvas. Glad to have you here.

Please take a small block of time and visit the information kiosk, the hot link is in my signature line. Full of good information and helpful hints.

There are some helpful articles on acrylic paint brands in there.

I have used Blick house brand for years. Just not exclusively. It is a good paint in my humble opinion. For whatever that is worth.

Blick, from all that I have heard and read, seems to have a good reputation and I have been pleased with using it so far. Just not exclusively.

BTW, they have great sales on their house brand quite frequently.

JWT
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Id like to see a painting done using DB acrylic exclusively.

I know what Im looking for the product to do, as in final painting, effect, just not sure how to express my needs, Im thinking a richer pigment would do that but Im not sure, need to see the puddin' before I'll know. :D

Be patient with me, I am using the search function. :)

Thanks

dreamz
02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Like Howard said, I have a couple of tubes of DB ( I actually got them at a yard sale) but I dont use them exclusivly, I mix paints depending on the color i want and so far haven't encountered any problems. I don't recall having any issues with the DB, they work just like any other artist grade paint. I think the only way for you to know if you like them is to try a tube or 2.

Einion
02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Me too.

Id like to see a painting done using DB acrylic exclusively.
No way to tell what brand of paint is used, from the image. Very often no way to tell what colours were used incidentally :)

As far as quality goes they're about equal with other artists' acrylics in terms of pigmentation, handling and viscosity straight from the tube. And for the price they're really good.

Einion

owenj
02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree w/Einion in that for the price, Blick housebrand paints are great. I have several tubes, & am using their Titanium White as a staple in all paintings. I think I read somewhere on this forum that certain colors don't exhibit the same quality as other artist quality brands, ex. Dioxazine purple, but I'm not certain.
~Jaime

JWT
02-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Me too.

No way to tell what brand of paint is used, from the image. Very often no way to tell what colours were used incidentally :)

As far as quality goes they're about equal with other artists' acrylics in terms of pigmentation, handling and viscosity straight from the tube. And for the price they're really good.

Einion

Interesting, so this begs the question, why use artist vs student grade paint, if there is no noticable difference in the final product? I was expecting a more rich colored canvas with an artist grade, regardless of color, as compared to the student grade Ive used, is that an unfair conclusion on my part? I have no idea, Ive only used the student grade daler-rowney and thats where my artist experience ends.

Thanks

idylbrush
02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
It sometimes isn't about what can be seen all the time. The long term residual effects need to be taken under consideration as well. Fading, color shift, transparency issues. There are reasons for the different levels of paints and pigments. Quality paints just cost more to create and therefore may cost more to buy. Student grade paints may use cheaper pigments, lower quality pigments(as far as purity and clarity) and have a lighter pigment load. Sometimes they just don't have the same hand feel either.

There is no magic bullet. The handling of the paint will be different. The feel in the hand is different. Colors may be "cleaner" out of the tube with artist grade paints, but anyone can mess that up with little effort.

The biggest difference may be in the base and pigment load.

I won't tell you you are coming to unfair conclusions but hopefully you can see that YOU need to do more research.

Please take a small block of time and visit the information kiosk, the hot link is in my signature line. Full of good information and helpful hints.

JWT
02-28-2008, 09:31 AM
I took a look at the kiosk when I came here, alotta info, just not sure Im putting one and one together to get the answers, to the questions I have. There are many demonstrations/ visuals, however, the brands used arent specified, so I cant really draw a conclusion there.

If the answer is, I must try new brands to figure it out on my own, then I wont find an answer here.

If its just a matter of "feel" and not color richness of final product, then Ill just stick with the student grade Ive been using.

From what Ive read so far, I might draw the conclusion that artist grade simply means it will last longer, as in withstand the elements and be more presentable long term (this comes directly from the DB reps posts and indirectly from the other memebers, that ive read).

Imagine my confusion. :D

idylbrush
02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
You are making far to many assumptions from a stance of lack of knowledge.

Until the brush hits the canvas you will never know the difference. The paint needs to be experienced not talked about. It is the difference of tasting chocolate, tasting good chocolate, and talking about chocolate. Until you taste it you can't know about it, until you taste quality chocolate you won't know what quality is.

Try a few tubes of Blick paint, if you like them, then buy more, if not give another brand a chance. The world as we know it won't come to a screeching halt.

JWT
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Its a forum, people want to know others impression of chocolate. :D

Its more a matter of not having the extra cash to blow. World wont end but it demands I make more educated guesses the first time.

Thanks though

idylbrush
02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
If it is a financial issue, save up till you can afford a few tubes. Use what you have until you feel you can afford it. Wait until Blick is on sale, their sale prices sometimes can beat the pants off of the student grade paint prices. There are ways around it. Check local garage sales and check with your local art center. Sometimes they will have an artists closet where you can pick up what others artists found they can't use. Check on line for an art closets and see if you can find some deals.

When all else fails, put the paints aside for a while and pick up a pencil (1.00)and paper(doesn't even need to be good, just clean) and draw until you feel you can afford to get back into painting, Write a daily journal.

Others opinions of chocolate still don't give you the chocolate experience, it only gives you the second hand thoughts and an empty stomach.

Charlie's Mum
02-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Most artists here will use different brands in any one painting, and as no-one yet has come in to say they use DB exclusively, and shown a painting, I'm afraid you won't get the definitive answer you're looking for.

Also, looking at images on screen, usually at low resolution, perhaps even adjusted in a programme to get the scan/photo as close as possible to the original, you won't really get any idea of the difference in the products: wht may look rich and full on screen may not be so in reality.

If you are not concerned about the longer-lasting benefits for your work, then just continue using what you have.
If you really want to produce the best you possibly can, in quality as well as in performance, then bite the bullet and start to build up some better quality paints ...... and the make is a matter of personal choice.

There is another way of course, and that's to buy dry pigment and an acrylic medium/binder and make your own :D

JWT
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I understand...

I went ahead and replaced the paint I know I need, with dick blick brand, give me the opportunity to see how it compares to the student grade Im accustomed too.

Appreciate the responses.

dreamz
02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I must have misunderstood the first question, I thought we were comparing DB against other brands not student and artist levels of quality. I think the only student grade or basic paint I have is white and I use it to lighten other colors. Most of what I use are midrange like galeria or academy, and some golden, there's a big difference between those and craft type paints but I haven't used actually student grades

Einion
02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Interesting, so this begs the question, why use artist vs student grade paint, if there is no noticable difference in the final product?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6569999#post6569999

When I said above there's very often no way to tell what colours were used I was referring to the palette, not the type of paint (sorry, unavoidable using vague wording at times since we refer to different things as colours in different contexts). But within certain limits you can achieve the same-coloured results using cheap and expensive paints, just tends to be easier/less effort with something that costs a bit more; this does depend a bit on how you paint though.

Differences in consistency tied to higher pigmentation (not through 'artificial' thickening, as in ranges like System 3D) make paint that works differently, for applications of the same type.

Also some pigments aren't available in lower-cost ranges at all, so there's no choice but to buy artists'-quality if you want to try them. Cad reds and yellows are a must-try in my book, given as they're the most opaque colours available to us in these hues.

I think the only student grade or basic paint I have is white and I use it to lighten other colors.
I do that too sometimes since there's a tube of System 3 Titanium White upright on my desk all the time, so it's the easiest white to reach for :D This is much the same as using artists'-quality Titanium White and adding medium to it, to make it more transparent, just without the mixing.

Most of what I use are midrange like galeria or academy... but I haven't used actually student grades
The classification 'student grade' isn't fixed and many lower-cost ranges are just thought of loosely as student/studio grade. True scholastic acrylics aren't that common in the shops, I think they tend to be sold directly to schools; because of the negative associations with the term, paint of a certain quality can just be labelled differently, so that it appeals to a wider audience.

Einion

JWT
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Had a kink thrown into things.

I guess earlier, my thought process was I need all these colors, its gonna cost a fortune, blah blah blah.

Sometimes we over think things I know, Im not that experienced but what I realized as I went over my paint to see what I needed, I do mix my own color, it just never occured to me that I was doing it, explains why I have all this extra paint (had been purchasing kits). Buying the main colors + white should give me what I want from a more expensive product, should I go that route.

Now the kink, DB just emailed me and offered to send a sample of the system 3D ultrathick paint. They commented it has an oil like consistancy and the price is definitely right. Gonna see if they have a sample of the house brand.

Im tired of thinking about it, Ill keep on painting with what I have, see what I think of the system 3D ultra thick and go from there. :D

JWT
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I dunno about dick blick product yet but wow, customers service is crazy. They actually reply quickly to emails and when they say samples, they mean samples. One was a 7.6oz tube, I was expecting something smaller, like a little containers in a childs paint set. :D

Eowell, im about out of titanium white, too bad they couldnt have sent that as a sample...hehe...gonna see how the DR ultra thick and the blick artist paint compare to what im using, I know noone cares, Im just bored, thought Id share. :D

idylbrush
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
"I know noone cares, Im just bored, thought Id share."

What is going on here today, so many attitude issues.

Its not that we don't care. Many of us really do. We sometimes don't take well to people who get argumentative when we are trying to assist.

More chips today than a bag of Fritos.

Over and above that, System 3 is, from my understanding, still is a student grade paint.

I still contend that you will find better pigment saturation and better pigment qualities in Artist grade paints. I know many artists who use nothing but student grade paints. Whatever floats your boat.

The bottom line is that if you want to use student grade, then by all means, please do. It is no skin off of my nose.

JWT
03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
"I know noone cares, Im just bored, thought Id share."

What is going on here today, so many attitude issues.

Its not that we don't care. Many of us really do. We sometimes don't take well to people who get argumentative when we are trying to assist.

More chips today than a bag of Fritos.

Over and above that, System 3 is, from my understanding, still is a student grade paint.

I still contend that you will find better pigment saturation and better pigment qualities in Artist grade paints. I know many artists who use nothing but student grade paints. Whatever floats your boat.

The bottom line is that if you want to use student grade, then by all means, please do. It is no skin off of my nose.

You got me man, I was just trying to be sarcastic/add humour in my post, maybe its your experience. I have no problem with how Ive been treated here, its a perty good site with perty good people.