PDA

View Full Version : The Adobe Mission - Scottsdale AZ

djstar
02-27-2008, 03:17 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/djstar/08/finalsmall.jpg
Pastel on watercolor paper with watercolor underpainting.
12x18"
dj*

Donna T
02-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi dj, this is really nice! I love the colors in the shadows and the texture on the building. I guess your underpainting really helped with that layered look. This is such a nice composition.

Donna

Paulafv
02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Absolutely beautiful texture and palette. Excellent.

Paula

fiannah
02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Beautifully done Dj :) Makes me miss Scottsdale! :clap:

Westerngirl
02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I really like the energy of the strokes in this painting. Nicely done!

One little nitpick, and it might just be the way the monitor displays, with the small size and everything. I am somewhat distracted by the pole, or sign on the lower right, in front of the mission. Can't tell for sure what it is.

Beautiful painting and beautiful color work!

ponting
02-27-2008, 11:58 AM
DJ - I love the colours in the dome and great perspective on it also.:thumbsup:

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Westerngirl
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Whoops....I just realized that you didn't really ask for a critique, dj. I hope you don't mind! I apologize for not paying attention! :o

Deborah Secor
02-27-2008, 12:07 PM
I really like the light and the negative shapes, dj! Your colors are so fun--as always. :D

Deborah

IdahoHat
02-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Very lovely, intense but soft. Makes me want to visit Arizona. Everybody must be furiously painting away this winter. I can't keep up with all of these!

djstar
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Whoops....I just realized that you didn't really ask for a critique, dj. I hope you don't mind! I apologize for not paying attention! :o
Not a problem. Honest gut responses are the best critiques. They beat out the ones that people spend a lot of time finding fault.

That is a lamppost. As a local landmark the shape is the center of an old wagon wheel and they are all up and down the street. This subject is ALWAYS mistaken for a more romantic local, or the one in Tucson or on the border. I love painting it. It is incredibly changeable. The white church never ends up white in my renderings. I believe people miss the most interesting things in their lives by not actually LOOKING. It is there every day and they never noticed.

The lamppost MIGHT help the locals figure it out!
dj*