PDA

View Full Version : Oil bars over old oil paintings ok?

Artchrispy
02-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi I have some old oil paintings that I might be able to try to fix if I can use w&n oil bars over them. They are very dry and were mostly done in water mixable Van Gogh oils w water mixable medium. (Linseed oil if I remember correctly.) Will the oilbar lawyer crack and peel?? Thanks

LJW
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Chris, I would think the issues would be how dry is the painting, and how much oil is there in the Bars relative to the paint plus medium (fat over lean issue). If the paintings are completely dry (one year is best) then I think you would be okay, but I'll leave it up to the experts to give a definitive answer. Jane

friesin
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
you can use oil bars just like any oil colour!
Which means you can add them to a freshly done picture or add them while painting. You don' t have to wait until the picture is dry.

Artchrispy
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks Jane and Friesin!

Peiwend
02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Chris, you might want to put a thin coat of retouch varnish on the dry painting to improve adhesion and avoid possible future cracking. Check what it says on the label of retouch varnish as to new layers of paint over old.

______________________________Wendell

Artchrispy
02-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks Wendell! I will do that first!

Pat Isaac
02-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I also think a coat of retouch would be good and the oil bars should work perfectly.

Pat