PDA

View Full Version : Reclaimed Wallis Paper - What is it?

jemgold
02-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I've heard Deborah talk about Reclaimed Wallis Paper and would like to know what that is?
Is it paper that has been brushed off?

Thanks for help with this

Donna T
02-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Carolyn, I think that's what Deborah means, at least that's what I understand "reclaimed" or "recycled" to mean. If it's Museum Wallis or the Pro that has been mounted in some way, it can be washed off with water. I brush my dust off outdoors and if it's not too windy I save it all in a little plastic tub. Easel dust is very useful for toning white paper. How often do we get to re-use dust? :)

Donna

jemgold
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Donna,
Thanks for the info. That is what I understood it to mean but gosh I just wasn't sure.
I save easel dust in those little plastic tubs too. Actually, I think I have enough to make a couple sticks. :)

johndill01
02-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Try taking that dust, mixing it with either a few drops of alcohol or distilled water, just enough to make a paste, form it into different shapes or sticks, let it dry until it no longer feels cool. Great tones for shading or toning an area. Each batch of dust will give you a different neutral color to use. Well worth the time invested in making a couple of sticks.

John

Deborah Secor
02-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Yep, that's what I mean by reclaimed. I find that when I tone Wallis paper with pastels using my trusty foam house painting brush, and don't use any solvent or fixative, it's very easy to reclaim it. I tape the paper to a board, take it outdoors and using the 3" wide foam brush I go at it like crazy until absolutely as much as poissible is gone. Sometimes there's the ghost of dark marks that I'll erase with my Mars white plastic eraser, then rub again with a clean foam brush. You'd be amazed how much comes off! Give it a go...

Deborah

Deborah Secor
02-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I use that loose dust to tone paper! I dip my foam brush into it and scrub--voila! A nice neutral grayish (usually kinda greenish) tone! Scrubbed down into the paper it makes charcoal easy-schmeasy to erase (using, you got it, my foam brush...)

Deborah

jemgold
02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks Deborah,
Just wanted to be sure.