PDA

View Full Version : Chateau Animaux

FULLERARTIST
02-23-2008, 11:26 PM
This is still a little damp and rippley, and angled wrong because of the photographer (me) not the way it is paintee. I wanted to get your
suggestions before I put it in a mat. It is one of a series of paintings
that I am doing of Capitol Hill, D.C. This is the local pet shop on 8th
street, S.E., now known as Barracks Row. It is done on Arches 140 cold
pressed paper using mostly W&N artist watercolor paint. Your C&C would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kay
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2008/117702-chateau_1.jpg

CharM
02-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi Kay... I straightened out your image as best I could... hope that's ok...

I think that I'd like to see some textural interest in your foreground...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2008/20514-117702-chateau_1.jpg

painterbear
02-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi Kay,

Interesting topic for a series.

I like the woman and the three dogs in juxtaposition with the Chateau Animaux and the way the dogs in the window are looking at the ones on the sidewalk.

All your dark values are in the lower part of the painting. The weight of the brown you used for the sidewalk makes the picture seem off-balance. Perhaps another wash of color in the sky or on the front of the building would help to alleviate that.

Sylvia

Shirl Parker
02-24-2008, 03:47 PM
The program Picasa from Google, which is a free download has a wonderful straighten tool in it which you can use to straighten a reference photo before you paint it. Just type "Picasa" in your search and it will be found, if you want it.

FULLERARTIST
02-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I could not get on this morning, but must have been in tune with your suggestions. I darkened the sky and windows. I will photograph it when light improves and again request your comments. Thanks so much, Kay

FULLERARTIST
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2008/117702-chateau_2.jpg

Here is a better picture after darkening the sky and windows. The ski has a lavender tint in the original that just did not come across in the photograph. Kay

painterbear
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Much more in harmony now with the values of the building and the sky enhanced as you've done with your revisions. Looks terrific.

This is a tip for future paintings—when you lay out your composition, mark off about 1/2" all around for matting and framing when you are finished. The way you've drawn this picture, the poor dog in the foreground is going to have his tail and his feet cropped off by the mat and the building will be right up against the mat on the left side. :eek: I always tape my paper to a board which gives me the visual reminder to not draw my images too close to the edge, but if you don't like to tape your paper down, then a line drawn there will do the same thing. :D

Sylvia

FULLERARTIST
02-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Good point, Sylvia. My husband is always giving me the devil for painting up to the edge. It usually gives me some wiggle ability when I do mat it. Thanks, K