PDA

View Full Version : Strata - Texture Exploration

howyadoin
02-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey. I've got a painting I've been working on for awhile now:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2148/2276716568_3fff2995d7.jpg

It's almost finished at the moment, so I guess this is sort of a WIP thread. (Anybody who follows the "What's on your easel?" threads should recognize the painting.) I've worked ceramic stucco gel, fiber paste, molding paste, glass bead medium, opaque flake medium, extra coarse nepheline texture gel, crackle medium, some string, and bits of straw into it. The goal was more to explore texture than anything else, so I didn't sweat the composition much. I've already had people interpret it 3 or 4 different ways, and generally I smile and say, "that's interesting."

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/2286590665_0fbafbc498.jpg

At any rate, I tried to use the various media together, overlapping as much as I could so the various strata in the piece weren't too clearly defined. This has given me tons of ideas for future paintings, so even if I weren't happy with how this has been turning out, it'd still be a success in that regard. A lot of the composition came from an architectural book I read on Malibu, and the various beach homes there - found the book dirt cheap at a bookstore, and it's chock full of interesting textures and colour juxtapositons.

I also tried my hand at acrylic skins for the first time here - definitely a learning experience, and a fun one at that:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2286595835_017aa9a13b.jpg

So, a lot of this is just to show off the fruits of my labour, and hopefully inspire more people to explore texture. Obviously I'm open to C&C.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2264/2287385110_300913e74d.jpg

I should be wrapping this up relatively soon, so once I've had a competent photographer shoot the painting, I'll post the results here, too.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2286598643_a92c61c6e6.jpg

Larger versions can be found in this Flickr set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/howyadoin/sets/72157603973538363). The photos are much too big to post here, but I think they're worth checking out.

Thanks for looking.
Bret

tonyjazz
02-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey Bret: You must have had fun experimenting with this! I'm inspired and impressed! Thanx...TJ

Artchrispy
02-23-2008, 10:22 PM
The color and texture juxtapositons seem perfect. The smooth, cool blueness of the tiles against the warmer earthy jagged crust. Just the perfect amout of blue as well, which is echoed in the crust. It's a really great piece. :thumbsup:

Thomas Greaves
02-23-2008, 10:26 PM
This looks pretty cool. Some nice things going on, certainly holds interest.

sonita
02-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Great texture...sounds like you had tons of fun experimenting :)
Soni

howyadoin
02-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the input, folks. It was indeed a lot of fun.

Now I have to think of something to top it, of course...

eliza ollin
02-24-2008, 01:33 PM
wooo I love it! thank you so much for posting those macro shots, deee-licious! They really are transparent, wish I could see it IRL, I know the photos are not doing it justice!!! Can you still see the pearl from underneath? sigh... love how you put your sig underneath too, very cool...

clumboy
02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
the contrast of textures is terrific, and i really like the colors too. at first i was trying to figure out where you got that beautiful aqua opalescent glass! really fun to look at! chris

edtree
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
:wave: I love all these textures and enjoyed reading about all the ingredients. It's fun to experiment with new methods and materials - great idea to do so many at once to try out for future paintings. I was thinking that some of the thick swirly textures would look fabulous on picture frames. It will be interesting to see where all of this takes you. In the meantime, this is also a nice piece! :D

Elizabeth

fazzy01
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
As you all know most of my work is done with texture, and I love experimenting with all the different mediums. Its a shame not many artists use all these wonderful mediums on offer, as they can enable you to create some beautiful work. If your an abstract artist I think you should experiment with texture and you will be amazed how fun it is.

Howyadoin, I love your piece, I know you didn't concentrate on composition but the result is very good. I love the different washes you used, can I ask what colours you used? Can you also teach me on how you applied the different colours. Glazes, soft edges, etc are my weak points and would love to learn on applying different washes of colour to texture. I do assume you let the texture dry first and then applied the colours, or did you apply the different textures in stages ie applied first layer of texture, let dry, then apply colour, apply second layer of texture, let dry and then apply more colour?

I am amazed by the colour, because it looks beautiful with the texture.

howyadoin
02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
wooo I love it! thank you so much for posting those macro shots, deee-licious! They really are transparent, wish I could see it IRL, I know the photos are not doing it justice!!! Can you still see the pearl from underneath? sigh... love how you put your sig underneath too, very cool...Thanks, eliza. Yeah, you can still see the pearl, depending on the angle. And the white part of the signature is... well, underpainting, I guess. I'll be signing it in iridescent copper on top of the clear gel.
the contrast of textures is terrific, and i really like the colors too. at first i was trying to figure out where you got that beautiful aqua opalescent glass! really fun to look at! chrisThanks, Chris. Glass is exactly what I was shooting for - I'd love to find a source of clear acrylic sheets for stuff like this.
:wave: I love all these textures and enjoyed reading about all the ingredients. It's fun to experiment with new methods and materials - great idea to do so many at once to try out for future paintings. I was thinking that some of the thick swirly textures would look fabulous on picture frames. It will be interesting to see where all of this takes you. In the meantime, this is also a nice piece! :D And thanks, Elizabeth. I really like that picture frame idea; might have to steal that.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
this is very interesting i love it

howyadoin
02-26-2008, 03:08 AM
this is very interesting i love itThank you very much.

chammi kaiser
02-26-2008, 05:01 AM
This is gorgeous. The colours are magical. The textures make me want to touch it.

howyadoin
02-26-2008, 05:10 AM
This is gorgeous. The colours are magical. The textures make me want to touch it.Now that is exactly the reaction I want my paintings to have.

Thanks, Chammi.

Ms.Understood
02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Love the up-close shots. The paint almost looks like frosting to me in some areas. How much does this weigh?

gaykir
02-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Great job - love the closeups of the texture!

howyadoin
02-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Great job - love the closeups of the texture!Thank you so much.
Love the up-close shots. The paint almost looks like frosting to me in some areas. How much does this weigh?It's not too bad, actually. According to my highly scientific measuring techniques, it weighs less than a 40-ouncer of rum.

Linee
02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
The has a wonderful balance of simplicity and detail. I love the variety of the piece. Good work!