PDA

View Full Version : Holbein cuts # of OP Colors

Scarefishcrow
02-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I found the following statement at the Dakota Pastel Site under their Holbein link:

http://www.dakotapastels.com/oil_holbein.shtml

Quote from Dakota site:

Holbein has narrowed the range of their oil pastels to 141 colors. They have discontinued the tints #2 and #4 from their line for all colors except grays. There are now 45 primary colors with three shades (1,3 & 5) and 3 colors (32A, 32B and 32C) with 5 for a total of 141 colors. The gradations are subtle and allow for ease in developing blended passages. Holbein oil pastels are soft, smooth, and easily blended. The sticks are .38 square and 2.75 long. Along with the color change, the Holbein Oil pastels now have labels (our stock will change as new shipments arrive). A square metal holder is available for the Holbein oil pastels.
*We will continue to offer the full wood set of 225 oil pastels from the original line until stock is depleted.

===
Apparently Holbein is cutting the number of colors from 225 to 141!

:eek:
Bill

Peiwend
02-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Bill, quick, cancel the trip south! Get the money back! Take the money and order the set of 225 Holbeins immediately!

I'm sure your wife will understand, maybe...

___________________________Wendell

LJW
02-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Bill, this has been true for at least 8 months - this isn't new news. If you look at my posting on Getting Started in Oil Pastels, you will see an illustration of the individual plastic labeled case in which the Holbeins now come. I have been buying the individually-packed Holbeins in Ottawa since last spring.

One reason I splurged and bought the full set from Jerry's back in the fall was so that I would have the original full range of five values for each colour. The range of three values is okay for most purposes, but I have found having the five great for doing grapes and some flowers. On the other hand, I find having the new labeling and the plastic case, which I use as a holder for the OP when applying it, is an advantage. Jane

Scarefishcrow
02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Jane,
Thanks. I thought this was probably not news to those in the know, and am still trying to get through all the info in just this forum much less any of the others. The labels sound nice. Unless you are an advanced artist, such as yourself, would it probably be a waste of money to grab a 225 set while still available or should the 141 be sufficient. The extra colors would not be replaceable anyway.

Are the new 141 sets available or is the shift being phased in?

Bill

LJW
02-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Bill, I haven't seen any sets in the new format yet, just the individual ones, and I don't know what you get if you order the individual ones on-line. My guess is that it depends on what old stock is available. My local store ran a special on the old individual unlabeled ones to clear them out, and then started selling the plastic-packaged labeled ones. I'm sure they're much easier for them to handle - not messy and easy to keep the right ones in the right bins.

It is true that I won't be able to get the #2 and #4 values once I use up my currents ones, but they do last some time. Jerry's actually sells five packs of particular values, but I don't know how long they'll stay in stock. If I knew which ones I was going to use the most, I'd buy a few of the five packs of the particular values now. Here's the link:

http:///www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/4435

As you can see, a number are out of stock already. Jane