PDA

View Full Version : Full Creek-WIP

Tom Christopher
02-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Hell _ i started this pastel today and took some photos of the progress.

1. In the first step, I painted a 16x20 sheet of gatorboard white with gesso. I also like to mask the edge to leave a clean white boarder. I mixed some old pastel dust I collected with water and applied the value wash--locating the dark and light areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2008/35607-river_bend_wip_001.jpg

2. Next I apply a \clear coast of Golden pastel ground 0ver the dried value wash . I the added the watercolor wash to identify the colors . The watercolor i used was a \cheap set of Windsor Newton

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2008/35607-river_bend_wip_002.jpg

3. In this step I took a sharp nupastel dark green and began to locate tree trunks and fallen branches. Also began to apply the pastels-- Mount vision, unison and nu pastel (close up)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2008/35607-river_bend_wip_004.jpg

4. Now I finally am down to pastel painting. I am looking to create some drama by focussing on a dark and misty theme. I am applying dark blues and greens to the far shore line.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2008/35607-river_bend_wip_006.jpg

5. Here is the latest versiion --I need to stop and let the painting rest until I go at it again tomorrow. About 2 hours of painting so far..

I'll post the finish tomorrow--comments welcome thanks Tom

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2008/35607-river_bend_wip_008.jpg

Deborah Secor
02-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Bravo! It looks wonderful, Tom, and what a treat to see this method!

Interesting that you coat the gatorboard with gesso for the textural qualitites, I assume, then add the clear ground over that. Do you roll the ground on or brush it? Does it add to the texture or minimize it in any way? Do you pay any attention to the subject in applying the textural strokes of gesso &/or ground, shaping it in some way, or is it totally random? Just curious...

Can't wait to see the conclusion of this!

Deborah

Tom Christopher
02-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Bravo! It looks wonderful, Tom, and what a treat to see this method!

Interesting that you coat the gatorboard with gesso for the textural qualitites, I assume, then add the clear ground over that. Do you roll the ground on or brush it? Does it add to the texture or minimize it in any way? Do you pay any attention to the subject in applying the textural strokes of gesso &/or ground, shaping it in some way, or is it totally random? Just curious...

Can't wait to see the conclusion of this!

Deborah

Hi Deborah-I have been brushing the ground mixture with a soft bristel brush. The mixture seems to dry relatively smooth - I like to pick out details left by the layers of color and texture and make them into rocks and grassy areas. The texure strokes are random as I am trying to remain loose and not too specific.

Thanks Tom

binkie
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the demo, Tom. I really like watching your work come together.

binkie

Westerngirl
02-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I really like seeing the process you go through. You get such dramatic results. It's fun to watch.....thank you!

Tom Christopher
02-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Hello-I gathered up enough energy to go ahead and finish this piece. I peeled the masking away--I have been framing these with out matting.

thanks for commenting --Tom

finished painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2008/35607-river_bend_wip_010.jpg

nana b
02-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Tom, it's absolutely beautiful! You are so good and fast! Thanks for showing us.

nana

jkook
02-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Wow, I really like the method and the out come.
Jim

Donna T
02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Gorgeous work, Tom. Thanks so much for showing us how you did it.

Donna

Adriana Meiss
02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
This is beautiful!
It is nice to see how you work, step by step; I always learn something from this. Thank you for showing us.

I can see the texture of the Golden pastel ground. Does it depend on the brush you use or on the kind of ground?
Adriana

IdahoHat
02-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Tom - just gorgeous. Interesting to see how you planned the back lighting from the beginning and still did not lose it in all the rest of the painting. AS the others said, I learn so much from each demo. Thanks.

*Violet*
02-23-2008, 04:54 PM
wow ... great wip !! ... and the finished painting is fabulous !! ... many thanks for sharing your method ...

Elain
02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Thank you so much for showing how you do your paintings. I love your paintings and this is very intersting.

You say you pick out details of the layer before and make them into rocks, etc. Is the entire work imagination or do you use a photo as a starting point?

Tom Christopher
02-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Thank you so much for showing how you do your paintings. I love your paintings and this is very intersting.

You say you pick out details of the layer before and make them into rocks, etc. Is the entire work imagination or do you use a photo as a starting point?

Hello- Elain- many times the texture will leave raised areas that resemble rocks or fallen tree limbs. By adding a touch of highlight they appear. I admt you have to look closely. One example is where the water meets the far shore line. I used a charcoal stick to outline the rock suggestions. Most of the time these are not planned but they still have to fit into the total composition Tom

chewie
02-23-2008, 10:46 PM
i swear it tom, i know EXACTLY where you took this from! its down the hill from my house, its almost spooky its soooo much like 'my' spot! the WIP is great, i plan to keep it and study it, thank you for taking the time to do it. oh, and that finished piece is gorgeous to boot!

by chance, do you have a ref. that you started this from? i like to see where a person started, so to speak.

Paula Ford
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Tom, I love the WIP and the painting is wonderful!!

Please tell us more about how you frame without mats. Do you mean you are putting them against the glass, or are you using spacers? If you don't use mats, are you cutting the border away?

Paula

David Patterson
02-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Great WIP Tom...can't wait for the finished piece!