PDA

View Full Version : Lil' Baby Tiger. WIP :)

Ubiquitia
02-22-2008, 02:21 AM
So I haven't done watercolors in a really really long time, but this is my art project and I sort of have to do it. After a hideous argument with my art teacher I got to do this piece. So far, I've put about 8 hours into it and it's really moving slowly, although I rather like it.

Its about 11 inches by 14 on 200lb paper. Since I'm cheap (and broke) I'm using Reeves watercolors and they're actually pretty neat.

So here you go. C&C's welcome. And yes, I realize the skin tone is somewhat off, I'm just afraid to "fix" it.

Reference:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/math_freak_100/referencepic.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/math_freak_100/wip1overview.jpg
Close up of man's face:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/math_freak_100/wipmanshead.jpg

painterbear
02-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Hi Mila,
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum. I like your reference photo because it has a lot of different meanings about people and animals and humanity and kindness and dependence, etc.

It is also a challenge for a painter because of all the different kinds of textures in it. Don't know why you had to argue with your teacher about using it, I think it is one that will show your abilities very nicely if you paint it well.

Looks like you are already off to a terrific start. What kind of paper is it—manufacturer and finish (i.e., cold-pressed, rough, hot-pressed)?

I used Reeves when I was just getting back into the swing of things and they were fine for a while. Gradually I replaced them all with artist grade paints I usually bought on sale at good prices. There is a difference, but it isn't impossible to do a very nice painting with the Reeves.

Paper quality is a different matter though. Since you are using 200 lb. paper, you probably already knew that and didn't skimp there. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to watching your progress on this painting.

Sylvia

mgthorvaldsen
02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
:wave: Hi! Mila, Oh, so tiny....am appreciating what you've done so far, skin tone have a way of balancing as you progress, I don't think it looks too way off.

MRSBB
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
No critique as this is way beyond my ability. I love how you have done the man so far. I will be watching this one. Very nice.........Lenore

Ms. Gee
02-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Wonderful reference photo. Such tenderness! You're off to an amazing start. I'll be checking back often.

Grace

susieq632002
02-23-2008, 02:21 PM
This is going to be beautiful, fantastic start :clap: .
Sue

HarvestMoon
02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
oh boy and I glad you got to/ had to do this painting!!! It is already wonderful....

ona
02-23-2008, 06:59 PM
WHat an amazing subject, so full of feeling. great choice and you have made such a brilliant start. Looking forward to watching this one develop

sonita
02-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Mila, this is such a wonderful subject and I have to tell you that the beginning looks terrific already. Definitely gonna stick around for your progress
Soni :)

Ubiquitia
03-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Sylvia, thanks for the lengthy response. :) I also like this photo because of the humanity and certain fragile parts of the environment. I saw it and momentarily had to go and demand that I can do it. The teacher didn't want to give in simply because I don't do enough portraits and she thinks I need to work on those (which I agree to, but I don't like drawing people that much). I'm actually not too sure what type of paper I have, I only remember the 200lb part and the rest escaped my memory already. Reeves paints are proving to be really nice to handle and have good colors available too.

mgthorvaldsen, thank you! I hope I can fix it up a bit once I'm done. Or maybe by the end I'll just stick with what I have and forget about the tone deal.

Lenore, Grace, Sue, HarvestMoon, ona and Soni, thanks for the comments! I really appreciate the feedback. :D

And here is the update I've been working on. So far it has taken at least 30 hours. Probably more, but I lost count. I will do more work on the paws once I get to the man's hand, but for now I'm being distracted and working on the jacket. As always, C&Cs welcome!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/math_freak_100/wip2overview.jpg

painterbear
03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Mila,
I'm really impressed with your work here. The little tiger's fur is beautiful and the texture and folds in the jacket really work.

Coming along beautifully. You'll have to read the thread in the Palette Talk section titled How Long Does It Take You to Paint? I think you might enjoy reading the discussion. ;)

Sylvia

CharM
03-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi Mila... This is a beautiful reference and I'm glad that you're able to paint it... Curious... did your Art Teacher feel that it was inappropriate to the ciriculum for this semester??

You've really made beautiful progress, regardless of the time it has taken... It's been my experience that you can become *lost* when painting these details, forgetting to eat or take breaks... :)

You've already captured the tender emotion of the baby's nuzzle into his gentle keeper's embrace... His weathered skin tones are excellent... as are the baby's fur and the man's jacket...

I'm really looking forward to peeking in again to watch your progress... Your time is well spent!

susieq632002
03-07-2008, 06:56 PM
It is going to be amazing........WOW I love it :clap: Just can't wait for next update.
Sue

Ubiquitia
03-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Sylvia, thank you. I will be sure to take a look at the topic :)

Char, thanks! No, I dont think it was something about curriculum, it's just her idea that I have to do challenging projects and the ones I really really want to do. I definitely understand what you mean about getting lost. Hehe, I was painting and then looked up at the clock and realized it was like 5 hours since I go home and I haven't even fed the cat yet. He was just sleeping in front of me all that time. :D

Sue, Thanks!

I got some done today in my art class and I'll be sure to try and post an update tomorrow! Thanks for looking

sonita
03-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Looking forward to your next update as well...gorgeous :)
Soni

Moose.man
03-09-2008, 01:02 AM
You've got this coming along very nicely. The little cat is so cute ! :clap: :clap: !
This is going to be so adorable when you get it finished. :clap:

Ted :wave:

Ubiquitia
03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
I finished! It took about 60-70ish hours in total and by the end I was cursing the person who invented watercolors.

But I like it. :)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/math_freak_100/finishedtiger.jpg

As always C&Cs welcome.

Thanks for all the comments!

Ms. Gee
03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Wonderful! You did an amazing job! :thumbsup:

Grace

painterbear
03-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Mila,
This is a terrific painting. You really did wonderfully with it.

Now that it is finished, you can post the painting in the Gallery and give a link to this thread for people to visit once they see the finished painting. :D

:thumbsup:

Sylvia

CharM
03-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi Mila... Wow... this is just beautiful... that tender moment really does tug at our heartstrings... I would like to see one more weak skin-tone wash over your man's face and hand... that final step will help blend your colour and soften and unify the skin tones...

sonita
08-30-2008, 05:46 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I KNOW I KNOW...I'm more then late but better late then never:lol:
I love your finished work....absolutely :thumbsup: You should be proud!
Soni

Jamie4
08-31-2008, 05:34 PM
This looks wonderful great capture of the moment. Jane

linettalee
08-31-2008, 06:43 PM
I am really awed and more impressed with this than I can say. That little guy is so sweet and innocent looking (great softness in the fur) and the expression and caring you have conveyed in the man is amazing. It appeared to be quite an ambitious project to me - - but you have achieved really fantastic results !!