PDA

View Full Version : A Dream of Anselm

solocrow
02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Since a few members remarked they'd like to see more of my work, I thought I'd post another piece:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2008/132871-a_dream_of_anselm.jpg

This one is called [as the thread title might suggest ;)] 'A Dream of Anselm'.

It's another 4x4 footer: masonite, acrylics, and coffee grounds.

It was inspired by my constant visiting of an Anselm Kiefer exhibit -- I'm jealous of the scale of his stuff! This piece was compositionally quite a departure from my normal MO, but I enjoyed grappling with the converging lines. My friends affectionately call this one "crowbutt". :D

C&C welcome.

Note: The colors are a little warmer than usual in this shot because of the incandescent lighting...well that, and the fact that I hadn't figured out my new digital camera's settings at the time.

Linee
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
My friends affectionately call this one "crowbutt". :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can see why. Another very interesting piece. It makes me ponder the story behind it. For some reason the raven in the story of Noah's Ark comes to mind, flying about looking for a place to land. The shell shapes add to the intrigue.

Fainsbert
02-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I just enjoy sitting and staring at this even if it is a bird's bottom. It's so intriguing...but, if I may be so bold...where are the coffee grounds?
Lucie

Thomas Greaves
02-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Never heard of Anselm Kiefer, but this is a great composition. I really lke this

solocrow
02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks! :D

And here's a detail of one of the shell shapes [to increase your intrigue level of course! ;)]

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2008/132871-anselm_crop.jpg

solocrow
02-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I just enjoy sitting and staring at this even if it is a bird's bottom. It's so intriguing...but, if I may be so bold...where are the coffee grounds?
Lucie

Almost all of the texture is from coffee grounds! :D In fact, this one had so much coffee in it that it even *smelled* like coffee on the wall.

@ Thomas: Here's a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anselm_Kiefer) all about Anselm.

Thanks to everyone for looking at my 'crowbutt'! :lol:

idylbrush
02-21-2008, 09:36 PM
On a personal level I am finding these to be striking and exceptional.

bchlvr
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Beautiful painting!

Margaret 59
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Another goodie. I like the detail pics too.

Lady Carol
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I like this one as well. Good use of colour and juxtaposition.

TxAggieDarlin
02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I like this one even better....nice work...
going to look up juxtapositon :)

1. an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast.
2. the state of being close together or side by side.

My learning for the day :):wave:

LavenderFrost
02-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Crowbutt... that's funny. :lol::lol:

Cool painting, especially that little shell, the colours make it look iridescent.

solocrow
02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks, LavenderFrost.

And the crowbutt thing! - sheesh! I almost called it that once on accident during a gallery talk.

I might just have to retitle it-- you know, to cover my crow butt. :D

debee
02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Another successful painting. Nice feeling of space in this one. The shapes in the fields could be crop circles.

loobyteacher
02-22-2008, 04:47 PM
I like this so much better than Anselm Kiefer's work that is in the link you gave to Thomas. I am afraid I had never heard of him either, but I love color and from what little of his work that is there it was lacking in color. Your work is beautifully colored and seems to speak to us. Thanks for sharing

solocrow
02-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I like this so much better than Anselm Kiefer's work that is in the link you gave to Thomas. I am afraid I had never heard of him either, but I love color and from what little of his work that is there it was lacking in color.
Well he's kinda one of those dour old German guys, which might explain the muted colors a little. :D His work really *is* impressive in person though.

Your work is beautifully colored and seems to speak to us. Thanks for sharing
I love rich, vibrant colors -- probably because I'm secretly dour and attempting to compensate for something or other. ;)

Thanks for the lavish praise.