PDA

View Full Version : A color question

starblue
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Say you've put a bright color down and want to subdue it, how to you go about it? I want to decrease its saturation, not darken it. TIA

Pat Isaac
02-21-2008, 04:50 PM
That is a tricky question, but one thing I have done to reduce the chroma of a color is to add a light hue of it's complement. This did reduce the chroma and didn't darken it. There is always white, but I sometimes feel that makes the color chalky. Don't know if this helps, but it worked for me.

I'm also going to move this to the talk forum. We've added a talk forum so these subjects can go there and may get more response.

Pat

LJW
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
One thing I found, when I was doing my rose painting and wanted to lighten but keep saturation, was that white definitely brings down the chroma. In my most recent tulip painting, I wanted to reduce the chroma of the lemon yellow petals and tried various colours - light raw umber, light blue-green, but I found that white seemed to work best. For darker colours, Pat's idea is probably the best. Jane

sundiver
02-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I often soften overly-bright greens with pinks or light oranges.

AnnieA
02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Sometimes a light layer of one of the Sennelier grays - I think they're roughly numbers 11 through 18 (guessing here) - can also help in reducing saturation. There are several different colors of grays - yellow-gray, lilac-gray, green-gray, blue-gray, red-gray, etc., and pure (B+W grays too). Each is a slightly different value. Depends on the color in question, I guess.

What are you working on Bob? Are you going to show us? :)