PDA

View Full Version : My first ever acrylic canvas

MarjeK
02-21-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2008/129584-P1030573.JPG

Okay so this is my first attempt ever at an acrylic painting. It was inspired by a photograph I took last winter and artistically interpreted.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when I paint ! I just loaded up some black and some white and used pretty much every brush I own !!! Have to say I'm quite pleased with it but constructive criticism welcomed so I can learn !

Anyway just thought I'd share my first proper painting ...have to say it was difficult to resist the temptation to make it an 'altered' piece as I love mixed media art but no, I was very good ! I just used craft shop bought acrylic paints in a very simple 'black' and 'white'!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking!

MarjeK

~~Kathleen
02-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Welcome to Wet Canvas Acrylics forum Marje.
That is wonderful, and so calming.
You show great potential here, and with two colours at first? WOW!
I may say that the trees behind the dock do not have the same slant as the other reflections in the water.
(The reference photo would be a big help here)
Keep up the wonderful work.
I like this very much.
~~Kathleen

tking
02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Marje, I like it. Its has a very Canadian feel to it. A lot better than my first acryilic. Welcome to the forum and keep them coming.

Linee
02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Welcome, Marje. There's a lot going for this, nice composition and mood. The dock seems to slant into the water. Kathleen mentioned the refelctions. Other than that, you've done well. You have a right to be pleased.

loobyteacher
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
You actually started in the best way, you are forced to use all the values to make the painting work! Nice job,

dreamz
02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
You have a lot of talent waiting to be released. the best way to learn is to keep painting and I hope you continue to show us your progress

Charlie's Mum
02-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Marje.
Good first painting. Others have mentioned the glaring bits - as you paint more, you'll learn to 'see' more ...... very good start :)

Your background brushstrokes indicating distant trees are excellent - as is the atmosphere of a cold, grey day.

sonita
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
hello and welcome to the forum :) I really like this, the black and white gives it more of a cold and wintery look! And i like the reflection.
Soni

clumboy
02-21-2008, 05:47 PM
terrific job on the water! it looks frozen and it looks like it is reflecting the color of the sky--doing that with just black and white is really great! keep painting! chris

howyadoin
02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Damn, I'd say you're off to a fine start here - you've created a lot of mood with just two colours.

Lady Carol
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I think you did very well with this.

Which black did you use? There is an under colour in it which is very pleasing. If you were to try this again, think about Paynes Gray as it isn't quite black but has a stronger blue tone to it.

TxAggieDarlin
02-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I agree...wish my first had been that good....or my second, third.... LOL..great job

MarjeK
02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone and yes I've had a close look now at the angles and the reflections and you're right....so a lesson learned and will take that knowledge going forward on to future projects.

To be honest about the paints I used, I used just everyday, cheap and probably quite nasty acrylic paints that are used for stuff like scrapbooking, so the black was just ....err.....black!!!! That sounds terrible doesn't it !! But honestly the paints were just cheap ones that I think kids use on projects! I really must increase my knowledge and get some 'proper' coloured paints me thinks.

But again, a huge thanks for your comments - it's been good to reflect on the picture after reading your comments and like Charlie's Mum said, I've started to 'see' more....thanks everyone.

What a great forum!

MCARTERMLB
02-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello MarjeK! and Welcome.
I am new to this site as well, and also new to painting. I was usually just a drawer with various types of mediums, with an ultimate goal of painting, but, as for a critique, you did good! I like it, especially the water. What you can do is, if you already did'nt, is use vine charcoal first and put a rough sketch in, nothing fancy, but get your perspective and angles down and when you do the painting, things will turn out the way they should. Also, you can just start painting and make it up as you go, and adjust the angles as you paint. You are definately talented and I look forward to seeing more.

MarjeK
02-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Hello MarjeK! and Welcome.
I am new to this site as well, and also new to painting. I was usually just a drawer with various types of mediums, with an ultimate goal of painting, but, as for a critique, you did good! I like it, especially the water. What you can do is, if you already did'nt, is use vine charcoal first and put a rough sketch in, nothing fancy, but get your perspective and angles down and when you do the painting, things will turn out the way they should. Also, you can just start painting and make it up as you go, and adjust the angles as you paint. You are definately talented and I look forward to seeing more.

I actually used pencil to draw roughly where the water's edge was and then just winged it to be honest, but I like the idea of charcoal as it will disappear when you paint over it...I was worried about leaving pencil marks so just did the bare minimum to prepare but thanks for hint, will just have to get down to Michaels to get some vine charcoal, which I hope they sell, not sure where else I can art supplies from here but will endeavour to find somewhere !

I think I'm going to leave this canvas as is, it's great to learn from and hopefully my next one will be at the right angles ! Not sure what to do next. I've only ever done this one and found painting using two colours comfortable for me. The thought of colours scares me to death!!!!!!:o

dreamz
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Many people start out using the craft type paints, I still have a wide range of colors that I occasionally fall back on, especially if I just need a couple or drops. Being so inexpensive they are great for practice pieces, at least IMO, and to get the feel of composition etc but once you can afford better quality "artist" paints you'll be amazed at the difference in coverage and brush feel as well as the difference in the finished peices look.

LavenderFrost
02-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Great start! And if you are close to a Michael's, you are so lucky. But if it makes you feel better, I just paint with Folkart paints from Walmart. I also start with pencil outlines. They always disappear under the paint if you keep them light.

Don't be afraid of colour, it can be lots of fun!