PDA

View Full Version : Two Paintings For Kansas Maps Show

PeggyB
02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Whew! I just got word from Donna A that two of my entries in the MidAmerica Pastel Society Members' show were accepted. Knowing what a strong group of painters belong to MAPS, I was hoping to have even one in the show so having two of them accepted has me on Cloud 9 right now. They are very different pieces.

Oregon Beach was done plein air and is about 8.5 X 11.5 inches.
Wallis pro and Unison & Great American pastels

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2008/68149-Oregon_Beach_email.jpg

Seeing Red was painted from a fuzzy photo and my imagination and is about 18 X 12 inches.
Red Canson MiTientes and Unison, Schmincke & Sennieler pastels

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2008/68149-Seeing_Red_email.jpg

Hmmm - I wonder if I can hand carry at least one of them with me on the plane next week when I go to Donna's pan pastel workshop... :confused: it would save a bit on shipping.

Peggy

Shari
02-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Peggy, this is wonderful news, contratulations!!!! I love both of these but I find the flowers absolutely delightful, love the use of strong color. Good for you!!!

Donna T
02-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Congratulations, Peggy! :thumbsup: Way to go!

Donna

Dougwas
02-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Way to go Peggy! I love that sky in Oregon Beach and the colours in Seeing Red. Have fun and learn lots when you go visit Donna.

Doug

Deborah Secor
02-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Good on ya, Peggy. :thumbsup:

I love, love, LOVE Seeing Red! That's a winner!!

Deborah

Donna A
02-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Congratulations, Peggy! They are such lovely paintings! Five Master Pastelist members of MidAmerica Pastel Society juried the show---and it was sooo difficult since there were soooo many entries of excellent work and had to cut out some really lovely pieces. The works will hang in a gorgeous exhibition place, the Buttonwood Art Space. The paintings will be available for viewing on line at their web site in another week or two, even though the show does not hang till late March and opens early April. Again--Congratulations, Peggy! Donna ;-}

PeggyB
02-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Thank you very much Shari, Donna T, Doug, Deborah, and Donna A. I feel very honored to be included. Wish I could be there for the opening, but travel twice in two months to Kansas is most likely not in the budget. LOL

Peggy

CJMonty
02-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I Love both of these Peggy but I especially LOVE the Tulips. :clap::thumbsup:

Well done Peggy. Do you win anything for this or is that to come later? :rolleyes:

Enjoy being with Donna. I could learn so much from ALL of you guys, I seem to be stalling puttering along on my own here. Maybe I should photgraph some of my work and get you guys to guide me a bit more.

Keep Dusty and Happy :):rolleyes::thumbsup:

Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

bluefish
02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
wow - those are two really great works of art - those waves are so realistic and so difficult to do - you really 'nailed them'!

Seeing Red is outstanding! - great use of color and so different in style from the beach scene - you sure can paint!!!!! You'll do wonders with Donna's PP's! It sure would be fun to be in that class with the 'needle' :lol: .

'blue....':p

PeggyB
02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks Carolyn. I enjoyed painting both of them for different reasons. That's why I'll never be an artist that galleries can depend upon to repeat the same thing over and over and over.... :evil: Finding a gallery who will work with this idea isn't easy, but it is possible. Yes, do photo your work, and there are many here who will gladly work with you. We all understand what it is like to work alone. If there is someone or two you'd like most to help you, you could pm them and ask if they are willing to do pm instruction. I've found that works well for me and some of the WC members I've advised.

Blue, thank you too for you kind comments. Since you live near the "other" ocean, you can appreciate a beach scene so you compliment is very welcome. I love painting the ocean! However, my preferred area is the Oregon beaches near a tiny town named yachats, and that's a full day's drive from here so I don't go often. Even the Washington coast is about 3 - 5 hours from here. This piece just came together like a charm in a little more than an hour because those clouds decided to "dump" on us! There was very little 'tweaking" on this one in the studio. Other times when painting waves it can take a long time. I think working them from life forces one to put it down and be done with it quickly, and that is apparent in the painting - no over worked appearance that way. When painting a floral landscape, I often use the technique in Seeing Red. It is a fun "brain test" to figure out ahead of time the color harmony and then putting it to the test to see if it actually works! :lol:

Peggy

Kathryn Day
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Congratulations Peggy. I remember the beach one and thought it was very strong and expressive. The tulips just glow.

Donna A
02-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I Love both of these Peggy but I especially LOVE the Tulips. :clap::thumbsup:

Well done Peggy. Do you win anything for this or is that to come later? :rolleyes:

Enjoy being with Donna. I could learn so much from ALL of you guys, I seem to be stalling puttering along on my own here. Maybe I should photgraph some of my work and get you guys to guide me a bit more.

Keep Dusty and Happy :):rolleyes::thumbsup:

Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:
Hi, Carolynn! No prizes for this juried members exhibition. When we first organized MAPS back in '97, we decided that, since at that time, there were so many artists new to pastel painting and so few pros in the group, along with a nice mix of moderately experienced painters, we would not set up competitions among the members beyond seriously juried shows and at least one open show a year. And then---we decided we'd focus on presenting strong programs that would have considerable learning opportunities for every member along with supportive articles in the newsletter, etc. So what we've seen within the membership has been a wonderful and sometimes remarkable growth in skills, understandings and levels of the paintings from our members! We have been able to hold to our intent to be greatly supportive to our members in so many areas of painting and presenting work! (But a few people still need to figure out that including a stamped, self-addressed envelope means to include a self-addressed envelope! But, dang---they PAINT good!) :) ;) :heart:

However, having noted the response of the other four jurors the minute Peggy's paintings, particularly the Tulips came on screen---it woulda been a definite contender! Was a hands-down yes-yes-yes-yes-yes across the board immediately. That's our girl! :-) Yea, Peggy! Donna ;-}

PS---Monty---I know you'd get a lot of support and useful feedback sharing photos of your work on WC! It's just such a great group and so much love and wisdom flowing thru the artists here! And---we allllll can find some wonderfully helpful thoughts just from different eyes than our own, so often! Take good care! D ;-}

David Patterson
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Congrats Peggy...wonderful work!

IdahoHat
02-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Yea! What a pick-me-up that is, to be accepted by peers and objective judges. Both such wonderful paintings. I, too, have too many interests to paint the same subjects, the same style, on and on. Life's too short and too many colors and scenes and people to paint! Woo-hoo! Keep at it, girl. :thumbsup:

artinwc
02-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Congratulations, Peggy! I love both your paintings and wish all the best for you. I've been to Oregon beaches and they are my favorite...especially Cannon Beach! Your skies in that painting almost repeat the patterns of the waves. Great! And "Seeing Red" is an especially happy painting that just makes one feel good just to look at it.

All the best,
Judith

PeggyB
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Donna thank you for so eloquently explaining the show policy of MAPS to Carolyn and any others who may be interested. Having been on both sides of this issue with other societies, I understand both the "awards/no awards debates", and I'm comfortable with either in the members' only shows. :lol:

Kathryn, David, Harriett, and Judith thank you for you kind words. Seeing Red always makes me smile and feel warm inside too. I have a small series of paintings of which tulips are the theme. Donna included one of them, Purple Wave, in her color theory dvd, and Deborah owns the smaller study I did of that one. I gave it to her as a hostess gift after one of the conventions when I sayed awhile longer in NM. Tulips are such "happy" flowers to me.

Peggy

Dot Hoffman
02-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Peggy, congratulations! Way to go!