PDA

View Full Version : First time using Wallis paper

kimmerm
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Hello--I am new to the forum and new to Wallis paper. I like to blend somewhat. I now have very sore fingerstips. Every tool I used removes the pastel. Any suggestions?

Bringer
02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi there,

I've never used Wallis but I like to use nitrile gloves. Not only on sanded paper but on most papers. The reason is not about having sore fingers but the result .
Have you tried weraing those to see if you get along well ?

Kind regards,

Josť

PeggyB
02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't know of any tool one can use for blending on Wallis paper other than another stick of pastel. The really gritty papers aren't designed to produce a smooth, finger blended appearance.

Peggy

mrking
02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Gloves. Only thing that works for me. They do wear through so you need few pairs on hand. but it saves the tips.

I've been able to blend with no issues on Wallis.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2008/108995-bottle-wip03.jpg

Scottyarthur
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Welcome Kimmerm to soft pastels. I use sanded paper on and off and also have raw fingers from time to time. haven't tryed gloves guess I missed that lol. jose what are nitrile gloves. and Mrking what type of gloves do you use. As I like blending pastels as much as I do scrubbing my oil paintings.

dvantuyl
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I was just at a workshop and the instructor used a piece of pipe insulation for blending, it works very well and is inexpensive. I use it to push some color around or soften edges. I used to use a paper towel, but then Wallis paper changed this last year and the paper towel only pulls the pastel off the paper. The pipe foam insallation works well and when it becomes worn, just cut another piece...

Deborah Secor
02-21-2008, 12:28 AM
The sharp grit used to make Wallis will make your fingers bleed, so be careful! That throbbing feeling might lead to a ghost of dark red mixed into all your pastels. :eek:

I favor the idea of building up the pastels until you have a creamy pillow of pastels beneath your fingers. Then you can blend selectively, even on Wallis. I would suggest trying a sheet of UART sandpaper in one of the finer grits, if you like to blend. It's a more rounded grit and allows more effective finger blending.

I've never found anything that blends better than fingers, but one tool that works well are Colour Shapers. They're like paintbrushes with rubber tips instead of a brush.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2008/23609-colour_shapers.jpg

Deborah

*Violet*
02-21-2008, 01:20 AM
blick's sells finger cots for use with pastels and charcoal ... they undoubtedly would wear out quickly on sanded papers but would be more comfortable than gloves i'd think ... and i read *somewhere* out there is some finger cots that are thicker than these so it might pay to look around for them but at least there's these ...

http://www.dickblick.com/zz352/07/

edit: ... there *are* thicker ones to be had ... aside from the bumpy ones used in offices for turning pages !! ... :lol: ... which wouldn't do of course ... don't some of these bottom ones look interesting to try with sanded papers to blend? ...
http://www.suzukilatex.com.my/product.htm

Kathryn Wilson
02-21-2008, 04:59 AM
I use the colorshapers like Deborah is showing here and they work well on Wallis.

WC Lee
02-21-2008, 06:20 AM
I blend with my fingers exclusively :D though I do have all the other stuff such as gloves, finger cots, shapers, etc.

On Wallis, I find it best to go a few layers first without any blending to build up a nice cushion of pastel to allow the finger tip to just glide over it and not having to press hard to blend. I learned that the hard way the first time and lets just say my finger tips was sore for days :D

CJMonty
02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Art Spectrum ColourFix is a lot gentler than Wallis on the old fingers. I have a sample of Wallis and haven't tried it yet but it certainly seems to be a lot rougher than the Art Spectrum. The ArtSpectrum is almost a velvety feel under your fingers as long as you don't blend too harshly. I tend to blend everything, something I am trying to get out of as I am sure I could end up with some better results if I left the pastels to do their own blending. :rolleyes:

Keep Dusty
Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart:

kimmerm
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you to everyone one. I will try the suggestions and will post my results.

chewie
02-21-2008, 09:32 PM
i noticed dakota pastels had a finger cot that may be thicker too, has anyone used those? i would like to know if they are better than the average ones, but even those are worth it, IMHO.