PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a full set of Mt Visions

ButtonKnows
02-20-2008, 06:32 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
For about 5 years its been my goal to have a full set of something. My friend brought in some Mt. Visions to work today for me to try (I knew he did art but had no idea he did pastels till I found his testamonial on their website-wow he's good). I couldn't tell the difference between them and Unisons except maybe they're not so uniform in shape but they're alot less expensive. So I pulled the trigger. I hope this will help me. I've been feeling very limited since the most of anything I've had so far is about 100 and I just don't quite have the range in values that I want.

Please tell me I won't regret this mammoth purchase! My husband thinks I've lost my mind-he sees boxes of this and boxes of that and he just got me 100 giraults for christmas. My plan is to use them whilst doing plein air because they're in a nice wooden box. But they get used up very quickly. I hope the Mt Vision can be my workhorses.

I'll be doing animals, people, and maybe some landscapy things...

Paula Ford
02-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Mount Visions are my main pastel. I have a full set and wouldn't give them up for any other pastels!

You definately will NOT regret your purchase!!

Paula

RooGal
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Sounds wonderful Button. They have some really luscious colours in the Mt. Visions. Looking forward to seeing some of your work. And you can let us know how you like them. Are they softer than Rembrandts? Senneliers? They're not available here, but that doesn't stop me from looking at what's available around the globe.

M Douglas
02-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I have some Mt. Visions and absolutely love them. Lucky you to be getting the whole set!!! You won't regret it at all.

Melodie

Deborah Secor
02-20-2008, 06:53 PM
You won't regret it for one small moment, trust me. :D I think they're very good 'workhorse' pastels. Enjoy!

Deborah

chewie
02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
if you do, send them to me! ;)

Bringer
02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi,

So... you're not going to need your Giraults anymore ?:wink2:

Kind regards,

Josť

P.S. I'll pay the postage:rolleyes:

Kathryn Wilson
02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm with Paula - my full set of Mount Visions are my best pastels - and you will appreciate the full range of values in each color as well!

Congratulations!

Diana_pastels
02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh, lucky you! How do the Mt Visions compare in softness to others? Dakota Pastels has them listed next to Rembrandts in softness, yet you say they are softer like Unisons?
Diana

Kathryn Wilson
02-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Diana - I don't know who did their testing at Dakota, but they are off base on comparing Mt. Visions to other brands. IMHO they are much softer than Rembrandts, comparable maybe to Unison, but much less expensive.

chewie
02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
yup, much mroe like a unision, with less $$!

Tracy Lang
02-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Lucky Girl!!!
You will LOVE the Mount Visions...Great choice for a full set...you will not regret it :)

Tracy

fortysomething
02-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Softer than Rembrandt, but not as soft as Sennelier. Consistent texture and pigmentation throughout the line. Large sticks, great value. Enjoy your new set!

ButtonKnows
02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
They still aren't here yet! Hopefully today. I will let everyone know how I like them. I bought bigger paper too. Working bigger seems necessary for me with bigger/softer pastels.

And Jose, your welcome to the giraults but postage will be $1000.00 :)

ButtonKnows
02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I hope nobody felt disparaged by my last post. I checked with Dakota yesterday and my whole order is supposed to arrive today. I wasn't complaining just impatient. Considering they came all the way from Washington State to Washington DC and I live in the boonies of northern VA almost to WV border and there was the weekend to factor in and Dakota's shipping is insanely reasonable especially considering they use UPS who are a whole lot better than some of the lame discount delivery services who shall remain nameless but who have a way of leaving thing in puddles and shmooshing things I feel the whole timeframe has been just fine.

I'm going nuts with ideas for my new purchases and have even started a list on my PDA so I don't forget any of my project ideas. :)

ButtonKnows
03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
They're here! Now what do I put them in??? Ideally I'd like something that rolls that all the rest of my stuff can go in too.

Here's what I've got:

giraults 104-but have a wooden box so they could live in that
schminke lights 24
maggie price values set ludwigs (60), ludwig darks (30?), ludwig portraits (30)
holbeins 144
nupastels (40)
unison greys (36)
unison natural earth (18)
unison red earth (18)
carbothello pencils full set
assorted charcoals
Or should I just put them all together? I was worried I'd forget which was which but they all do have a unique shape.

This weekend I was trying to draw a cardinal and it was a pain hunting through box after box looking for just the right gold and trying to see the difference between all the reds.

In case anyone's wondering the Mt. Visions are a fair bit bigger than the unisons. And I was surprised at how tiny the holbeins are. They are a very pretty array of even colors but tiny!!! I had thought they'd be more like nupastels but they're softer and probably 25% smaller...Nupastels are skinnier and longer, holbeins shorter and fatter. I might still need something hard for underpaintings as my nupastel selection isn't great and I'm not so fond. Maybe polychromos...

Paula Ford
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
How about a Dakota Universal Large box? I have 2 and wouldn't live without them.

Paula