PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves

tonyjazz
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
18 x 24 canvas. Knives and brushes. A sheltered bay in southern, Puerto Rico. Distant land is also mangroves. I resisted the urge to put in a boat or anything else and just focus in on the roots of this tree growing towards the water and some hanging in mid air. But, a brush stroke of white and black on oposite sides of a brush did create the lonely gull. C&C's welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2008/103497-100_3116.jpg

loobyteacher
02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
the darkened water, the quiet reflection, the lone gull, make for a quietness that carries through your whole work. Nice job.

JamieWG
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Nice work, Tony! If I may just make a small suggestion....Since you want the roots to be the focal point, you may want to vary the color a little. Think, "same value, different temperature", and I think the roots can become a little more interesting without losing that silhouetted look.

Jamie

debee
02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Very peaceful scene. Well done.

gaykir
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Tony - what a pleasant view! This is quite nice.

Linee
02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
I thought it was your reference upon first glance. I like the expressive roots and shadows.

bchlvr
02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Fabulous!

RPut
02-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm wondering what/who is looking out. could come up with a few stories for this. Great work! Ruthie

SunsetSue
02-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful work, Tony. Puerto Rico seems so beautiful, I shall have to visit one day.

CamiTampa
02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Tony, very good. I like this the best of what I've seen you post so far. That scene could have just as easily been here. You've nailed it.
Cami

casualartist
02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
very nice man! you've captured a unique place and perspective where most people would like to experience and/or vistit but unfortunately can't. So they'll just BUY your painting. :)

Way to go.

take care.

*Violet*
02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
one of your best !! ... good advice given ...

Ms.Understood
02-20-2008, 09:48 PM
You did a great job with the water! I think the suggetions for the roots is a good idea if that is your intended emphasis. The gull looks great too!

LavenderFrost
02-20-2008, 11:56 PM
I love that water! And the soft clouds, and that gull looks like a lot more care went into than you say.

dreamz
02-21-2008, 12:37 AM
This is FABULOUS! Everything works well here to form a fantastic scene. I don't think you'll hold on to this one long:thumbsup:

susme48
02-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Tony, really remarkable!!

lilabati
02-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Wow wonderful....................

~~Kathleen
02-21-2008, 01:34 AM
I like this very much Tony!
Job Well Done:clap:
~~Kathleen

Cybergranny
02-21-2008, 08:11 AM
What a great canopy. Draws you right in.

TxAggieDarlin
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Very nice...are there snakes in that water?
:)
Lovely painting, lovely place

tonyjazz
02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Loobyteacher: Thanx for the comments and descriptions you felt!

Jamie: Same values, different tempertures, wow, that is some of best advice I've ever heard! Thanx so much for that input. I really appreciate that.

Debee and Gaykir: Your comments are heartfelt! Gracias!

Linee: What a compliment! Thanx........realism is setting in. Hope I don't lose my surreal touch I had going...........this piece landed me a one man show for 30 days in a gallery in April 08. Stagefright is setting in............

bchlvr: Gracias!

Ruthie: I'm glad you saw a story in this. This place is actually a small restaurant right next to the sea, a very small place but, so peaceful. This is the view when you go out on the balcony/dock.

Sue: Thanx so much, whenever you get here we'll paint pleine aire someplace!

Cami: Thanx for the comments, you have mangroves there too in Florida! Glad you enjoyed this one. This one was very tedious for me. Lots of small details to the roots and skyholes in the roots I wanted to get down pat. The advice for values and temps on the roots I will use on the next one for sure to make it even better.......

Casualartist: Thanx, I'm glad to convey the beauty of this place where I live. The colors here are just overwhelming sometimes............gracias! I do have a site where prints are available for this piece. I hope it's OK to post it here?
http://tony-rodriguez.fineartamerica.com

Violet: Thanx.......wow!

Jenny: Thanx so much, I thrive on honest critiques, you can be sure that I will take that advice!

Lavenderfrost: Thanx for the comments. You picked up on something I've been working on for a while now. The brush stroke for birds...........although this one came out fine the first time I really enjoy acrylics for the reason that after it dries I can try my bird brushstrokes on the sky and if it's not good, I wipe it off and do it till it's right!

Dreamz: Thanx so much, you input is always so welcomed!

ooopppps there's more artists to answer and I don't know how to go to the next page on comments....jeeeeze....never happened before LOL......well thanx all, Muchisimas Gracias......TJ

Margaret 59
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Tony, I really like this.

Lady Carol
02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I like your style Tony. It never fails to please at all.

tonyjazz
02-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Margaret & Lady C: I really do appreciate your comments as always. Thanx again to all of you here on this forum for the encouragement. I will continue to paint my best.......:)