PDA

View Full Version : #11 Mather Golf Course

MCARTERMLB
02-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok, I have this posted in the crytique forum. It was done from a photo. It was painted from more of a downward looking angle, so more of the putting green could be seen. It is 16x20 like all of my paintings. Being a beginner painter and only having done about 5 paintings, makes me a bit leary of going any bigger than that. I painted this one for my brother in-law for Christmas, whom I palyed a lot of golf with at this course. It took a bit of prodding from my wife to do this because, It takes time to learn to paint, and I did not want to give a painting to someone if it was'nt good. Well, being the loving wife that she is, she say's she thinks all of my paintings are good, 'and gave all 5 of them to her family for Christmas.':eek: 'Even the Snow Cabin Painting"!:eek: Gotta love her :heart:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2008/131792-MATHER_1.jpg

idylbrush
02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
It looks good to me, the only nit I can find is that not all the trees have shadows, in particular the ones in the middle of the middle ground. Seems like they should have a shadow even if it is almost non existent. I like the use of color and the lay out as well. Overall it is quite accomplished.

~~Kathleen
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Howard addressed the only problem that I could see.
Over all the colour is wonderful
~~Kathleen

gurleygirl
02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Wow, this is great.
Tracey

Bill_E
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Yep, a few shadow fixes and some ripple in the water...if I was playing there the ball would have just landed there :lol: Joking aside, the water is just fine, it's my golf game that isn't :)

Pleasant painting. Wish I was there.

sonita
02-19-2008, 08:19 PM
I like your color palette in this piece and there is a lot of depth..beautiful :)
Soni

bchlvr
02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Beautiful painting!

CamiTampa
02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
I believe that the trees have shadows, they're just not all going in the same direction. That, along with the arched horizon give the painting a fisheye effect. You seem to have a great talent for rendering that grass. It looks very real as does the pond.
Cami

Tazz
02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Like this a lot...like the water, the depth...go BIGGER, this would look great as a large work! You could walk right up and hit a golf ball...lucky family by the way!

Linee
02-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't have a problem with the shadowing. The middle trees seem to be behind a rise and the shadow isn't showing. At least that's how I saw it. I really, really like this. It's hard to believe this is only your 5th! Wow!

MCARTERMLB
02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your compliments and critiques, they are needed and appreciated. And yes linee, the mid trees behind the green are behind a slight rise wich caused the lack of shadow. I know it's hard to tell with this size of a view. Once again, thank you all for your comments, they are inspiring.

stoney
02-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok, I have this posted in the crytique forum. It was done from a photo. It was painted from more of a downward looking angle, so more of the putting green could be seen. It is 16x20 like all of my paintings. Being a beginner painter and only having done about 5 paintings, makes me a bit leary of going any bigger than that. I painted this one for my brother in-law for Christmas, whom I palyed a lot of golf with at this course. It took a bit of prodding from my wife to do this because, It takes time to learn to paint, and I did not want to give a painting to someone if it was'nt good. Well, being the loving wife that she is, she say's she thinks all of my paintings are good, 'and gave all 5 of them to her family for Christmas.':eek: 'Even the Snow Cabin Painting"!:eek: Gotta love her :heart:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2008/131792-MATHER_1.jpg

Nicely executed. :thumbsup: Your wife is correct. Most people wouldn't even try. It's trivial to spend money on a gift for someone. Effectively, no time or effort involved.

An item you've done yourself, regardless of medium, is special.

susme48
02-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Really, really nice!!....I wish my 5th looked like that...sigh.

TxAggieDarlin
02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Beautiful....

LavenderFrost
02-20-2008, 01:18 PM
That is a wonderful painting, and a very special gift. I hope your brother-in-law appreciates it.

MCARTERMLB
02-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Thank you all!!! It is very uplifting, and encoureging for a beginner painter, or a beginner in any other medium at that matter, to here from other art lovers and accomplished artist, these type of compliments, critiques, and words of encouregement. THANK YOU!!!

gaykir
02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Even though I am not a golfer I do think this is quite nice!

SunsetSue
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Lovely, makes me want to take up golfing!