PDA

View Full Version : Poppy Fields

Aquarelle10
02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2008/71657-Poppy_Field1.jpg

This is just for fun and a way of loosening up to music.I find reds exciting but wanted them to be delicate for the poppies.

Although I don't make a preliminary sketch I drop colour in where I want a flower to appear and encourage fusions and colour runs to add a sense of movement and excitement.

Here are a few close ups.

The ripples in the petals are created by layers of colour but a wonderful fusion happened as I painted this formig a curved over petal.No tintended but I worked with the happy accident instead of against it.This is what I call magic in watercolour because if you allow it to work for you and enjoy it the surprises are always wonderful!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2008/71657-poppyfieldC1.jpg

My favourite poppy is the one that is in the top corner and in the distance.It has little detail.You know its a poppy but you can't quite make it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2008/71657-poppyfC2.jpg

I took these photographs in my garden and sadly the top photograph isn't as brilliant as the real painting.But the close ups give a good indication as to the mix of colour and the way they work together.

Now I'm going to enjoy this stage before I add foliage and seedheads.Its so relaxing I'm almost tempted to leave it as it is! But I won't!

Thank you for looking.

Jean.

olliewood0702
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Yummy Jean, what shade of red is this you're using?

Aquarelle10
02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Darla.Three shades mixed on paper wet in wet with lots of water!

Cadmium Red,Alizarin Crimson and Cadmium Orange.I'm letting the opaque colours be " boss" and push the others around a bit in the foliage and the petals.

Some shades act like obedient" I'll do as I'm told" colour. Others have to have their own way and sit where they want to.

It's fun using the different "personalities" in large paintings like this.I see them all as my friends! I'm getting to know each a little better and expanding the family from time to time adding more golds in other pieces!

Thank you for asking.

Jean.

ewin
02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Gourgeous Jean! I love your flowers and look forward to seeing the final piece!

olliewood0702
02-19-2008, 03:15 PM
I wondered because I've recently got a luscious red from MaimeriBlu called Tiziano Red and it looks very similar to this color. Anxious to see more...

mimitabby
02-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Beautiful poppies! wonderful color and light. +++++

KreativeK
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
:clap: Very wonderful poppies, Jean. What type paper did you use? Wet or dry?

loralee55
02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
this is a wonderful picture the style is very much like the muse i am working toward it but it might take me forever. that's all right i figure it will be the most rewording thing i do.
again great:clap: loralee

painterbear
02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Jean,
Poppies are one of my favorite flowers and your painting captures their delicate beauty.

How large is this painting? What weight of paper are you using? Do you use coldpressed or hotpressed? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Looking forward to watching your next steps in bringing out the foliage and seedheads.

Sylvia

Darla,
I have that Tiziano Red too. MaimeriBlu get me everytime with their wonderful names for their colors. :lol:

S.

MRSBB
02-19-2008, 06:06 PM
This is splendid Jean. I love the delicate touch of your painting. I am such a detail painter I don't know if I could ever get the freedom this painting imparts, but maybe I'll give it a go. I'll be watching. This forum is like the learning channel..........Keep having fun.........Lenore

Aquarelle10
02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh no just when you think you've stopped shopping you hear of another colour you just HAVE to try!

Darla I will try some Tiziano Red.I love hearing of different shades ! Thank you.

Hi Syliva it's a full sheet and I very nearly typed Arches out of habit! I normally use Arches but not here. I often opt between rough for some subjects and smooth for others. This is on Bockingford which I was given to try. I'd given up using it a while back but an artist told me for silky petals it really is wonderful.

So here are my new findings already.

It doesn't absorb as well as Arches. BUT I do love the way the soft petals sit in a transparency here which I don't think I would have achieved on my normal paper.

BUT I will have to work differently to create texture in the foliage area rather than relying on my beloved paper to do some of the work for me with all it's wonderful dips in the rough surface!

It's funny but we could write a book about just paper and why we love it so much!

Loralee it doesnt take long honestly.Not if you love what you're aiming for.Just practise and " feel" your subject.

Hi Kay,I've gone in directly on dry paper here at first,wetting areas and working away from each flower a section at a time. At stages I have unified with letting colours merge and run to the varied sections. I hope this helps?

Hi Emily,great to see you!

Hi Mimi.Thank you!

Hi Lenore,its great to meet you!

I'm tied up in gallery meetings this week which has kept me busy especially today!

I will continue with this later but hope for now I've helped with the paper questions.I know I've missed something!

See you soon!

Jean

Namaste13
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow, these flowers are beautiful. I love poppies and one day, hope to paint some just as beautiful as yours! I love your style with these flowers! beautiful!

Ms. Gee
02-23-2008, 12:57 AM
This is so delicate and lovely as is. I can't wait to see how you continue!

Grace

Aquarelle10
03-31-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm so sorry its taken me time to come back to this.I have a few exhibitions on different subjects which have kept me far away from this painting which many visitors to my studio seem to enjoy as it is and are begging me to leave it alone.

I feel it definitely need definition especially in the foliage and one poppy centre so I'll try to add those after the next show starts!

Please forgive me,my art life is like a whirlwind at the moment!

Jean.

mobius49
04-12-2008, 12:08 PM
love this painting !!