PDA

View Full Version : The Checkout Counter

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Everyone! I did this one on Friday. It's 16" x 20" on canvas. This one has issues from the man with no hands, left side of building is weird, canopy over man's head looks odd, etc. It was getting on my last nerve so I just stopped. Any suggestions are most appreciated!!
Thank you!
Tracey
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2008/34305-checkoutcountersmall.jpg

Thomas Greaves
02-18-2008, 06:10 PM
I might have known there would be flowers somewhere :lol:
Very cheerful and summery......it's soooooooo cold here, even in the sun.

Thomas

edtree
02-18-2008, 06:22 PM
:wave: Gosh Tracey, I didn't notice ANY of those things.

Even after reading about the troubles, I didn't figure they were a big deal. The has a lot of charm and appeal - great light and shadow - beautiful colors. I love it!!!!! :D

Elizabeth

clementine
02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
maybe add some plants on the left part...it's a very charming painting Tracey!
clem

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Thank you so much Thomas and Elizabeth!! I just don't know where to go with it from here, so it's just sitting in the corner! :lol:
I'm back to painting flowers again for a while. I'm having a show at my hair salon starting in April, so I'm painting some flowers for it. Thomas - you know that I can't paint anything without flowers. :lol:
Tracey

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 06:29 PM
I'll do that Clem, thank you!
Tracey

~~Kathleen
02-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I really love the colours in this piece Tracey, it is vibrant.
Maybe I can help you with the "No hands" thing though.
If you paint out the lower parts of the arms and angle them in from the elbows, it will look like he is holding something in front of himself.
That way you can increase the flowers he seems to be holding in the areas where his arms are dropping, and with the elbows bent it will look more realistic?
~~Kathleen
(Who suggests....Don't give up on this, it is really pleasing):wave:

Linee
02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I like it! I had the same idea as Clem...some foliage to cover the wall a bit. Hey, it's my wedding anniversary today. Maybe that's a picture of my hubby buying me flowers. Ha! We're going out tomorrow since today was a day of needed errands. :)

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Thank you Kathleen and Linda! Great idea Kathleen, I'll try to do that. Congratulation Linda!! I hope you have a wonderful anniversary!!
Tracey

Margaret 59
02-18-2008, 07:18 PM
It's looking good Tracey and you could always take away his flowers and stick his left hand in his pocket like men do:lol: :wave: .

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Margaret - isn't it the truth!?! :lol: :lol:
Tracey

Paulafv
02-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Happy Anniversary, Linee. It's a brave woman who sticks it out for years, imo.

I'm with Clem about adding foliage on the left, or even shadows of foliage would fill in that area. The man's elbows would be evident if he were doing something with the flowers, so maybe point up the elbows, but it didn't bother me. Lovely painting of a flower market.

Paula

dreamz
02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
the man with no hands..:lol: sounds like a great title for a mystery book! It looks to me like he is holding something in front of him so dont worry about that so much.

The awning... its difficult to tell from here but the "window" seems wider at the top which throws off the perspective a bit. If the awning itself is supposed to be canvas I think a little artistic license could be used, add a bit of scalloped edge hanging over the side and maybe some stripes. Its difficult to tell how the canopy attaches to the other building, there is a hint of a triangle but one has to really study that point which distracts the eyes from all the plants and the rest of the scene. Perhaps just a dirty wash over the extended roof would work?

All that being said, this is a really fun scene that with a few minor tweeks should be a real stunner!

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Thank you Paula and Doc! I appreciate the suggestions a bunch.
Tracey

idcrisis55
02-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I like what you have going with your painting Tracey. It is bright, cheerful, plus love seeing a man buying flowers. :D One thought I had about the canopy was to extend the front so it shows past the left tree, maybe placing some potted flowers at it's canopy's corner edge to break up the straight lines.

It is hard for me to explain properly so I used Paint on your photo to show the area I mean and also angled the opening a bit and slanted the one pole a bit (yellow outlines). I hope you don't mind.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2008/15669-34305-checkoutcountersmall.jpg

TxAggieDarlin
02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I think you are being too picky....I loved this one as soon as I saw it..great job. Love the flowers and the trees and the shadows..

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Thank you Ann - that helps me a lot to be able to see it!
Thank you Tx!
Tracey

Fainsbert
02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Tracey, it looks to me like he just can't make up his mind and hasn't bought anything yet, so his arms are at his sides...and that's OK. The one flower, which seems to be covering his left hand looks to me like it's growing out of his pants. Could you put it in a pot or something...unless I'm not seeing this right.
I would tone down the building just a little bit on the left.
Other than that I LOVE the colors. They all go together so well. It's bright and cheerful. My kind of painting! Nice work :thumbsup:
Lucie

Mz_Sketch_Pad
02-18-2008, 10:53 PM
its perfect- glad u stopped

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Thank you Lucie and Mz! I'll make a few corrections and hope that will fix it.
Tracey

Andun
02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Wonderfully composed piece and the love choices are perfect.I like it a lot:)

arl
02-19-2008, 03:52 AM
I liked it but I also liked the changes made by Ann.

gurleygirl
02-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Thank you Anthony and Arlene!
Tracey

sonita
02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
What a charming painting...love the play of light and shadows in this piece. I really like that you paint more buildings now :)
Soni

SunsetSue
02-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Tracey, I think you have enough advice on this already so I will simply say I think this will be wonderful when you finish it off with your usual finesse.

howyadoin
02-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Everyone! I did this one on Friday. It's 16" x 20" on canvas. This one has issues from the man with no hands, left side of building is weird, canopy over man's head looks odd, etc. It was getting on my last nerve so I just stopped. Any suggestions are most appreciated!!I don't see any huge problems here, but I do have one suggestion: why not work out the major details before you actually start painting?

gaykir
02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
How nice! I like this.

gurleygirl
02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Thank you Sue, Bret, and Gayle! Bret, I thought I had it right before I started, but then the more I looked at it, the more I saw wrong.
Tracey

RPut
02-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Charming---I think it's great. I love all the flowers and warm fuzzies I get. Wish there were flowers like that here----We have a cold snap at the moment. It's -14 where I am! Ruthie

gurleygirl
02-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Thank you Ruthie!!
Tracey

susme48
02-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I like it....if your were going to add anything, what about a couple hanging baskets on the side of the building?...just a thought.

loobyteacher
02-20-2008, 12:00 AM
nice job and as usual you have been given great advice! Keep up the good work.

gurleygirl
02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Thank you Susan-great idea! I can hide anything with a plant!:lol:
Thank you Colleen!
Tracey

Patmonsi
02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
I was wondering where all your flowers came from:rolleyes: I am not the expert as say ann or clem might be, but I can see they brought out some good points. It would just enhance what is already a beautiful painting - nice work.

gurleygirl
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Thank you Pat!
Tracey