PDA

View Full Version : help with colors, please

susme48
02-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Cannot show painting...for one of the competitions...lol.:)

:confused: Question: the background, if I go with what is really there is a doorway...white walls, brown trim and very dark doorway, with no lights in room behind....

I used grey on walls, burnt seina/touch of white, on trim...and (newbie mistake)black with just a touch of white to lighten on doorway. Of course it now looks like the doorway is resting on her shoulders...lol.

If I am learning correctly...warm to front....cooler colors/purples & blues recede??...so do I mix red and blue green to get my "black" add bluish or violet tinge to walls...and then change the light brown to a more violet or blue or what?????....help me...I drowning in colors....lol. :eek:

Am trying so hard to learn all this, but sometimes it gets away from me, and I really want the background to recede since it is almost 20 feet from the face, and not just a few feet behind her/me.

Thanks in advance...very grateful for any help you can give me.

~~Kathleen
02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Good questions Suzie, I have no answers, but will be watching for the answers as well!:lol:
~~Kathleen

idylbrush
02-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Have you considered that the background may be anything you want and doesn't need to reflect what you see in the photo? The other thing you might consider is to lay in glazes of color and build up the layers slowly until you get it where you want. You don't mention what colors you have other than being somewhat generic. Some reds and blues mixed won't make purple or black but may create a muddyish brown. So, maybe lay the colors down one at a time, allow to dry in case the next layer may need to be wiped off. Play with this stuff, it is supposed to be fun.

CamiTampa
02-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Susan, pick a color you think will work for you and paint it, step back and enjoy it. If it don't work paint it again with a different color or tone.

If I am learning correctly...warm to front....cooler colors/purples & blues recede??...so do I mix red and blue green to get my "black" add bluish or violet tinge to walls...and then change the light brown to a more violet or blue or what?????....help me...I drowning in colors....lol.
As long as you know and understand the rules, it's okay to break them.
Cami

Einion
02-19-2008, 04:16 AM
If I am learning correctly...warm to front....cooler colors/purples & blues recede??
We hear this so often but I'm afraid it's really nothing much to hang anything on.

There's a lot more going on that controls the illusion of spatial depth: edges are very important and contrast & saturation are much more at play than notions of 'colour temperature'. And since we're painting also simple handling differences - looser in the background, tighter up close - is one of the easiest ways of making the distinction, if you paint that way.

Am trying so hard to learn all this, but sometimes it gets away from me...
It can be difficult, especially with 'rules' like the above that get in the way of how things really work!

Einion