PDA

View Full Version : different support from masonite or canvas

hblenkle
06-27-2002, 01:06 PM
i like both masonite and canvas on masonite. i put two coats of liquitex acrylic gesso straight from the bottle onto the support. however in class i found a good support. i didn't like the gessoed paper that most of the students used (too absorbent) so i tried multimedia artboard. it is paper and thermal set epoxy resin. it does not cause support induced discoloration of acrylics. it holds a definite color edge and will not bleed. accepts and releases adhesives without surface damage. it is acid and lignin free. it is ph 6.7 to 7.0 neutral. laboratory tested for deterioration and stability. impervious to mold, mildew, and insects. recommended for the artists who like working on paper but want longevity. non buckling and dimensionally stable. accepts both oil and water based paints. can be sanded or scraped. both sides usable no priming required. i like two coats of gesso to elimimate the draggy feeling of unprimed surfaces. it can be cut with scissors or pen knife to any shape or size. it can be framed under a mat and glass or like an oil painting with a backing board.
harold