PDA

View Full Version : Glistening Snow- for C &C please

arl
02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
This is 7 by 9 inches on mount board. It is based on a beautiful image in the RIL. (Thank you stalks the dawn) I had problems painting this and when I scanned it I could see that I still have to adjust some of the branches in the upper part of the painting. I have created some tangents. Do you think the yellow sunlight on the snow is too intense? All comments would be greatly appreciated. I can't pin down what seems wrong to me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2008/114108-Glistening_snow_resized.jpg

idylbrush
02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Hard to tell without seeing the reference image. It appears that there should be some contrast, it takes dark to make lights light. I find the yellow rather refreshing but again, need to see the reference shot.

Just a thought.

Linee
02-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Love it, Arlene. I like yellow, especially with the blue and warm browns. Nice distance.

~~Kathleen
02-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I do like the colours here.
Could it be that the river is travelling either up or down?
It seems to come/go from nowhere and not end?
As it is, it fades into the distance.
as opposed to diminishing in size.
Keep up the good work
~~Kathleen

susme48
02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
I like the colors, but I see what Kathleen means about the river/brook...and I know you said you were gonna work on the branches, but it seems like all of them point down at the water; seems to me like a few should point up or away...just me tho.

Wojdo
02-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I think the composition looks good, is that a ultramarine blue I personally like to kill it with a dab of yellow ocrhe or burnt umber.

Charlie's Mum
02-18-2008, 05:40 PM
I do like the yellow sunlight, but with that strong a light you'd get violet shadows from the trees; these would also help describe the land shapes.
I think the river is a bit strong in colour and perhaps you need to study the shapes in the water a bit more closely?

PattiLou
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
The yellow looks like the weather is warming up, it doesn't bother me, something to look forward to. The first thing I noticed were the tree branches... after I wondered why there were people dancing in the distance. Ok, I have an active imagination, but that is what I saw. :lol: Maybe it is because the branches don't seem to be connected to a tree trunk, but kinda float. I also agree that the stream looks like it just stops... but then maybe there is a hill that I am not noticing? Just my observations and thoughts. :wave:

gurleygirl
02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
I love the colors you used.
Tracey

Paulafv
02-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Agree the branches need to connect to a tree trunk, the blue needs to extend a tad more with color to it's end, and the forward blue of the brooks needs some lights and shadows, and to be toned down some. Then, look to see if the yellow snow needs a glaze or two of white, and maybe the water too. Try it in bits and pieces and decide how it looks then.

Thomas Greaves
02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I agree with Kathleen and Susan about the river appearing to be running downhill. Something else that disturbs me is your horizon, which gives the impression that the river is running along the side of a hill, and thus makes it seem ready to roll sideways down to the right.
I think the bottom portion of the painting works well, but the top section, as you have said yourself, needs more work.

CamiTampa
02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Is that yellow snow? I agree the top half just misses the mark. With such a blue sky the snow should be mostly blue, the yellow seems out of place.
Cami

howyadoin
02-18-2008, 11:40 PM
The yellow's definitely not working for me. I understand your reason for putting it there, but Cami's definitely got a point.

And besides, yellow snow has some pretty negative connotations...

arl
02-19-2008, 04:02 AM
Thank you all for your helpful advice. It gives me a direction to move forward.

PattiLou
02-19-2008, 08:23 AM
The yellow's definitely not working for me. I understand your reason for putting it there, but Cami's definitely got a point.

And besides, yellow snow has some pretty negative connotations...

:evil: I was going to bring that up but thought I should maybe keep that thought to myself. :D