PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Feb. 18 - Feb. 24

Pat Isaac
02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Good morning everyone,

It is 60 degrees here today!!! Very windy and rainy though.
We had our oldest daughter and family here yesterday to celebrate her birthday. Great day and the grandkids are growing so fast. her daughter, our granddaughter just earned her drivers license.:eek: Now have 4 grandkids driving...
I hope to have a long and fruitful day at the studio today.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
It rained here last night, and our driveway is sheer ice and very treacherous. It's only 40 degrees here - I'd love to have your 60 degrees, Pat, so that all the ice would melt. Jane

Scarefishcrow
02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Well, not that I probably don't need the exercise, but I have been blowing snow here at home and at my father-in-law's house since about 8:45 this morning!!!!!

I'm really not going to miss that lolling on the beach at Isla de Mujeres next week. I will be thinking of y'all and try not to have too much fun!

Bill

Shirl Parker
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry Bill, but I loll on the edge of the golf course in the balmy breeze day after day. Sometimes it actually gets a little boring.

Shirl

Pat Isaac
02-18-2008, 03:27 PM
How exciting, Bill. Where exactly is that beach? Right about now I could take the boring. Temps dropping fast now.

Pat

LJW
02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
The last holiday we had was to Cancun to stay in my sister's timeshare. We didn't do much lolling, though. Too many interesting Mayan sites and colourful reefs to visit. Have a great holiday, Bill. Jane

Pat Isaac
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
My sister went with her daughter last year to Cancun and loved it. She did see the Mayan ruins, and did a lot of lolling poolside.
Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Pat, Jane, Shirl--

This is a small island/resort off Cancun. My stepdaughter currently works in Cancun selling time shares (she was a spanish major) and we are going to visit her. This will be my first trip and we will be renting a timeshare on the island from someone here in the US.

Suppposedly the island is a little less crowded and quieter than Cancun itself. It has some ruins and there is supposed to be a short boat jaunt to a reef area for snorkeling. I don't think we will do the big peninsula thing this time as I sort of want to just "chill" as I am acclimating to my first semester without teaching. It takes a little adjusting to change your life from the only thing you have ever done in your life!. I am 57 and have been in school 52 of those years, including finishing Undergrad in 3 years, M.S. in 3 years, Ph.D. in 3years and coming here at age 26.

For those interested, here is a link to the official Isla de Mujeres web site with some tempting pics. I'll try to post some photos when I return.

http://www.isla-mujeres.net/

Going to take my little, new set of ArtAspirers and actually try my hand at sketching in full view of the public. This place is turning me into a "wild and crazy guy". This has taken longer to write than I thought since our Primary is tomorrow and I have had at least 4 calls from various presidential hopefuls in the last 10 minutes. Every 4 years living in a "swing state" can become downright tiresome!!

Anyway...

Hasta la Vista (soon at least)
:wave: :D :cool:

Pat Isaac
02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
It looks like an absolutely wonderful place, Bill. Look at all that drawing material......expect to see some great plein airs from poolside....:rolleyes: :D
I understand the teaching thing as I had taught for 30 years before I retired. The first year I retired, when it was time to start school, my husband said we should go away for a week so we did. He thought I might think about school starting and be wishing maybe I should be there. What a sweetie....I didn't think about school at all. However, since I had taught art, I now felt it was my turn and was champing at the bit to do my own work. While teaching I only managed to do a few paintings every year.
When do you leave?

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Pat-
I think we leave the 25th. My wonderful wife is the structure the holds everything together and I tend to forget what day it is!

One of the reasons I told my wife I really didn't want to do the Peninsula thing was that I always find excuses NOT to sketch because I'm not very good at it and get embarassed when people walk up thinking I know what I'm doing. I have to get over that and want to sketch some things. I know they won't be like the stuff Artchrispy's been doing (beautiful talent for condensing a scene down to the significant elements), but I'm going to make myself do some and make myself post them no matter how crude they are!!!!

You learn to crawl before you walk, right? I have an idea germinating, but I think I'll let it roll around in my mind over the trip before I run it past you. Let's just say it has to do with "Concept to Completion" and leave it at that. I know you are busy getting ready for your show and I know it will be smashing!

:music: :heart: :music:

Pat Isaac
02-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I remember how that is with people watching, but it doesn't matter. This is what you want to do to learn and go for it. I have found that most passersby think it is just great. Not to worry, just have fun.

Pat

starblue
02-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Bill, have you ever done any sketching live? If you're not used to it, I think you may find yourself paralyzed pulling out fancy materials in a strange place performing your art in public. Since you've got a week before the trip, take a half day, take your intended materials, go to a couple public places (one won't do) and sketch: do a dry run. You need to do a dry run anyway to make sure you have what you need, everything you need, and nothing you don't need--remember you're not in your studio, you have to be portable. Theorizing about what you need doesn't work, and learning that on-site in a beautiful, foreign spot will be terrible. Also remember that some of the items you'll need aren't art-related: drinking water, footstool (if away from civilization), camera, insect repellant, you get the idea. Your real goal is to have fun; if you're missing stuff, or it's a drag to have to carry it around, you won't have fun, you'll leave it behind, you won't do art. Now, once you've done your dry run and if your experience went well and you were comfortable doing it, then go for it and ignore the rest of this post.

If you weren't comfortable, I recommend cutting back considerably. Leave the OP's and drawing pads behind. Travel with a sketchbook (moleskines are a nice size and fold flat for full-spread sketches), some pencils and/or pens (a few different kinds of pencils and pens can give you an incredible variety of sketching styles so you won't get bored), and a white vinyl eraser. If you really want to add some color, take some CP's, or a small watercolor travel kit with brush, or there's nothing wrong with some colored pens or markers (be sure the sketchbook paper is suitable for whatever media you're using with it and won't bleed through). A water brush is handy if you have any water-soluble pencils with. A pencil case can hold everything but the sketchbook. I think you'll find just pulling out the sketchbook and a pencil or pen can be a challenge, but it'll be a lot less clutter and you'll be a lot less conspicuous, and if people do see your sketch and comment negatively, you can always say you're just taking notes, just in picture form, and you'll feel less pressure and embarassment. It's also a lot less stuff to cart through the airport, which nowadays is getting to be a drag too. (You know never to say you have "paint" with you, right? they're "artists' colors". OP's probably become "artists' crayons".) Pencils and paper are noncontroversial. (You may want to look at the Plein Air forum for airport travel tips.) Maybe someone here has flown with OP's and can comment further.

Anyway, those are my suggestions. They'd be my suggestions even if you just went across town for a day; it'll be more even important when your home base is thousands of miles away.

Scarefishcrow
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Bob,

Your suggestions are great and you have captured perfectly what generally happens when I've gone on trips. I haul a ton of stuff and what you say is correct. I'm going to try your advice and severly limit (much to wife's delight) the materials I take. I have a perfect little sketch kit (from when I joined NLBC) and a small WN field watercolor kit. We are going to be in a pad right on the beach so things won't be too "rustic".

You have marvelous insight and I'm going to try and take your advice. Thanks for the post!!

:thumbsup:

Bill

starblue
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm glad you found the suggestions useful. I think you'll enjoy your trip a lot more coming back with a sketchbook full of a variety of 5-, 15- or 30-minute sketches of more subjects than with a pad containing a handful of OP works (since they're slower to produce), at least until you've got more practice under your belt sketching live. And nothing says those sketches can't be the basis for some great OP work to show here on the forum!

wabbitt
02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi all :wave: Wow so much activity on a Monday and here I hadn't even realized it was a new week already except for the fact I had time to spend half the day at the muffler shop waiting for my truck. It was a chilly 60-65 in my area :evil: with rain threatening in the next couple days.

As someone who sketches on holiday/vacation/trips, Bob's advice to Bill is excellent. Even though I'm experienced at sketching on the move, I still did a half day trial run before my recent trip to Hong Kong to fine tune my sketch kit. It didn't hurt that it was Sketchcrawl weekend, either :p I need to take one of those lolling vacations. I don't loll enough. :lol: However, LOL is a different story.

Pat Isaac
02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Great advise, Bob. I have a small box with a small sketch pad and some CPs that I take and it is just enough. I have a small sharpener, regular pencil and eraser in the kit also. AND the camera......

Pat

starblue
02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Great advise, Bob. I have a small box with a small sketch pad and some CPs that I take and it is just enough. I have a small sharpener, regular pencil and eraser in the kit also. ...
Pat
Ah! See, Bill, I forgot the pencil sharpener! You would've gotten to Mexico, lolling on the beach, two babes show up at the bar, you pull out your sketchbook and pencil ready to draw them, only to discover the pencil's duller than an OP stick and you have no way to sharpen it. Instead of two babes in bikinis you got two blobs in bikinis. That's why you need a dry run!

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Pat, Julie- Thanks
Bob- I still have sharp teeth. I could always chew the wood off the pencil!
:lol: :lol: :eek:

Pat Isaac
02-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Ah, but don't smile......:lol:
Best to remember the sharpener.....
Pat

Shirl Parker
02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
You are right Pat. Wood chips in your teeth is a turnoff to most bikini clad babes. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Shirl

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Number one -- The bikini clad babe I'm going with would probably do a lot more damage to my teeth than the pencil did.

Number two -- If she didn't my bikini clad stepdaughter would.

Number three -- If she didn't the buxom blond friend of my bikini clad babe would.

Number four -- I'm not sure if my heart (let's leave it at that) would be able to stand the strain if I made it past the first three!

Number five -- I think I'll stick to seascapes and swaying palms!!!!! I'd like to live to enjoy some of my retirement!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :p :p :angel: :angel: :cool: :cool:

Could it be that I am the target of a wee bit of beach envy?????

Shirl Parker
02-19-2008, 09:11 PM
:lol: Not in the bikini clad babe department :lol:

Pat Isaac
02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Beach envy....not at all:evil: :evil: :D

Pat

Paulafv
02-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Wear sunglasses and be silent. Everyone will think you are famous and mysterious. Have fun and wear sunblock too.

Scarefishcrow
02-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Don't worry, the last thing I'll forget is the sunblock and sunglasses! First, don't really go in for that 2nd degree sunburn thing (done it, no fun). Second, eyes are light sensitive and without them I wouldn't be able to see any of the indigenous peoples and whatever traditional bathing attire they use to practice my figure (uh...people) sketching. Strictly business, this fellow!!!! Art before pleasure.....Uh, I mean my only pleasure is Art....uh....Oh to heck with it. Whatever they have to look at, I'm willing to try sketching it!!!! The Bohemian life is a struggle, but it's worth the inner feeling of satisfaction it brings. (I don't how, but you people have gotten this thread to the point the anything I say comes out sounding like I'm a DOM (Dirty Old Man). Now Stop It!!!! Be nice!! This is a serious, professional place where we engage in highly intellectual discourse (dialogue??).

Ok, Ok... But BOB STARTED IT, NOT ME!!!!!
:cool: :angel: :angel: :angel: :evil: (HOW'D HE SNEAK IN THERE?):angel: :angel: :angel: :cool:

Pat Isaac
02-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Of course it is serious,:rolleyes: but we have fun too.....:D :evil: :D
Do have fun Bill and I hope you get to do some sketching, while you are watching...

We haven't planned any trips for this year yet as we are waiting on the results of my husband's MRI. He had one a few days ago for his knee. Not sure if it will require surgery, so we aren't planning anything yet.

Pat

AnnieA
02-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Good Morning! Here in Western Washington we've just had several days of gorgeous weather. It's been a little warmer than normal for this time of year, but the really glorious thing has been the beautiful sunshine! We're heading back into the usual rainy weather now, though.

Wow, Pat, a grandkids who are driving - you must feel they've grown up way too fast.

Jane: hope the icy weather will fade, and you'll get a spate of sun, too.

Shirl: Lucky you to have weather like that this time of year.

Bill: I know there's some off-the-beaten-path sort of place in Mexico where wear the women are in charge. :D Is that it? "Isla de Mujeres" = "Island of Women" after all. I guess you'd be surprised if instead of bikini-clad babes the women there wear the pants. :lol: Seriously though...Espero que usted pueda pintar muchas pinturas. Tenga un viaje maravilloso. Viaje de bon.

Bob: That really looks like very good advice. One other thing for Bill to think about regarding the OPs is that it may be quite warm near Cancun, even this time of year, so there would be a chance that the OPs would melt if he were to sketch in the sun! :eek:

Julie: Is your truck OK now?

Pat: I hope your husband's knee is ok. Is it arthritis? If so, I think there may be alternatives to surgery. At any rate, I hope the MRI gives a good result.

Scarefishcrow
02-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Annie--No, the place where women are in charge is my house!!!!!:rolleyes: :angel:
My spanish is rusty, but I'm taking this along to have my stepdaughter tell me if I have just been insulted in Spanish.

Pat- Sorry to hear of your husband's problems. My sister was going to Russia with us last summer but had to have knee replacement surgery. I hope that his is not that serious!

It's late and I need to go to bed, but something for you to mull over in the morning, I requested the catalog from the Pigments Plus Site and also then emailed the Artist that runs it with some questions and he sent me a nice email back which I will share tomorrow in a post since it contains some suggestions on questions we have been discussing. Turns out that Kama (Vinciente) was a young protoge of Terrance Depietro who runs Pigments Plus. He is more than willing to answer questions and help if he can. More tomorrow when I am not so tired and feel a little better.

I also emailed John Elliot to see if he had any information about Picasso OP works. I'm turning into a real Internet gadfly!!! More to follow for those interested.

Night all.

Bill:music: :heart: :music:

AnnieA
02-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Bill: Oh dear...my Spanish is quite rusty too. What I tried to say is, "I hope you can paint many paintings. Have a wonderful trip. Bon voyage." I'll be looking forward to the Kama info, and the info from Elliot too. Thanks for taking the time in hunting all that down.

Pat Isaac
02-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I also sent for the Kama catalog and am anxiously awaiting it. Maybe it will arrive today. looking forward to your email.

My husband's situation is perplexing. The MRI doesn't really show a torn meniscus or a lot of arthritis, but they think it is possible that a fragment has broken off and is floating between the bones, causing the pain. Anyway, he will see a surgeon next week to figure out what to do.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Pat-- I know knee pain is frustrating and sometimes the problems are not clear cut. If the knee joint is seeminly in pretty good shape and it is a floating piece of tissue I would think that should be solvable (if they can locate the fragment). Best wishes and I hope all works out well.

I'm not really sure where to post the information I got since this has been discussed in many threads. I haven't heard from Elliot yet, but I will try to summarize what I discovered about the Kama site and Pigments Plus. There is some boilerplate in some of the emails so I think probably the easiest will be to try to give you excerts and impressions.

First, Pat, if you go to the Kama site (France), the catalog is downloadable in PDF format and you can order online there.

I went to the Pigments Plus (PPS for sake of brevity) site and requested their catalog. (When you say Kama, do mean the PPS for the catalog request? If so you should have gotten an email from artist Terrance Depietro with a toll free number for US and Canada that anyone requesting a catalog will get. He wants people to request the catalogs as that is how he tracks who has requested one.

It started with my seeing an announcement of a tips and tricks brochure available and just mailed the PPS site the following email:
You mention a brochure on "Tips and Tricks" that is available. How does one obtain that.

Your site seems to be related to the French site Kama Artist's Supplies. They have a downloadable PDF catalog. Is this the same as yours or your operations independent?

I am interested in Oil Pastels, i.e. non-skin forming sticks. Your Extra Greasy OPs seem to be really firmer Oil Sticks.

How would one find the binder base formula for making a true OP and what ingredients are critical to altering the working properties (firmness vs. creamy, dry vs. moist)?

Of particular interest would be a binder formula that would be watersoluble and have the creamy working characteristics of the student grade OPs marketed by Crayola under the Portfolio brand. Could your water dispersed pigments be added to a similar binder (if it could be made) to make an artist grade water soluble OP with the firm but creamy application of the Portfolio OPs??

Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated. Especially interested in components needed to make true Oil Pastel binders with various softness characteristics.

Your company is very interesting and informative. It would be nice if your catalog was downloadable as a PDF document. Also more demonstrations like your video clips would be great, dealing with ingredients in various binders for different media.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I then requested the catalog and at the head of the "form letter" Terrance responded with some personal comments: (I have deleted the toll free number and his personal email address since he would like people to request the catalog and then he will send it to them. Pat, some of this is boilerplate and "ad-like", but I think there is enough interest to include as much info as possible. Hopefully this is not violating any taboos since I am not pushing his products, just providing insight I obtained) He responded:

Hello William,
Thank you for requesting the Art Materials Catalog!

The catalog is going out in the mail and to help you get familiar with the
products and those who will service you, I am including the Toll Free Telephone number: [deleted]

Kama (Vincente) is one of the original members of our little band of: artist-mavericks. The catalog is the same. I am mainly involved with putting out info on materials. I will be making more little videos and expanding the web sites. The skinless sticks would be more of a 'mineral-oil' type formula. Kama uses linseed oil, which would be more professional. Pigments, wax, parafin and an oil would be the materials; then you would have to make a cast-form and try different quantities to arrive at the stick.(Vincente started to formulate the oil sticks in my studio in Quebec City many years ago, he is a great young man and a well of empirical expertise). I hope that helps and I hope you will stay in touch.......the usual form letter follows. Terrance
Also you can visit the Kama Pigment site:
http://www.kamapigment.com/index_en.html (http://www.kamapigment.com/index_en.html)
or
SHOP at the online catalog from: http://www.kamapigment.com/asp/main.asp?llang=1 (http://www.kamapigment.com/asp/main.asp?llang=1)

[What follows is the form letter to anyone requesting catalog-Bill]

By requesting the catalog through this site, you also have my personal
email address; so if you have any questions feel free to email me Terrance
DePietro.(anyone who requests a catalog through this site can contact me and
if I can assist them, I will). By the way, we do not sell lists or client
info; we are a network of artists who manufacture products for artists, use
those products for our own artwork, instruct in materials & techniques, and
exhibit along side artists who use these quality materials.

About Kama Pigments: It is an artist-run-business with a great reputation
for quality and economy to their clients. They have been part of our network
of artists from the beginning (1992). You will find it to be a great
experience working with them and you will save money in the process.

Stay in touch and have your friends request catalogs through the same site
because we sometimes have other materials available from new associates and we do
show artwork to galleries, curators and collectors.

Best-of-Life
Terrance

I am going to submit this Post and continue in a separate since I don't want this to get to cumbersome.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
So, as you can see the Online Kama catalog is basically the same as the PPS one. His response to my question about tips and tricks was brief:

Tips & Tricks is in reference to the Aqua-Dispersions....I will be putting a section like this online in the coming months.(Kama can provide you with the info)
Terrance

I responded with a more detailed email as follows (some of this is mundane, but I want to be accurate in what transpired because I think he has access to expertise and seems willing to share it):

Thanks very much for your response. I stumbled upon the Kama site quite by accident and posted a link in the Oil Pastel forum on WetCanvas.com. Another member from Canada went to the French version and discovered the link to your site and posted it and recently ordered some materials from your company (He was pleased to find an artist run company and glad to support it). Would you mind if I posted the text of your response on the OP forum (I would omit the toll free number if you wish) since I think a number of people have expressed interest in the site and are interested in learning more. (I would include the info you sent on upcoming tips and tricks). I am pretty much a late starter, recently retired but really interested in developing some art skills in retirement. I also am interested in, and have discussed on the forum, developing some "experiments" with OP materials regarding things like lightfastness that would return results quicker than just placing strips in the sun. Others are really interested in finding a way to produce a "varnish-like" material to protect the surface of Oil Pastel works since they are made, as you point out, with non-drying oils. The desire would be to have something that would allow framing without glass, but not produce a shiny, glossy coat as some of the current OP fixatives do. Any ideas or communications you might be willing to share regarding this would be greatly appreciated. The WC forum posts are not intended to "advertise" but simply provide people with information they find useful.

I had a feeling from looking at the Kama site that you were open to talking about materials since there was so much information on general make up of various things.

If you send me any information you would not wished to be shared on the public forum, simply tell me and I will not post it. However, I think many will be quite interested in your insights. knowledge, and suggestions since your company is Artist owned and would understand the problems often faced. Additionally, many of the OP'ers seem to either continue or have migrated to OP from an Oil Painting background. A number also use Oil Sticks (Bars) sometimes in combination with OP.

The forum (as well as Oil Pastel Society) is aimed at elevating the awareness of artists to the utility of OP as a serious art medium and serving as a place of learning and dialog about methods, materials, techniques, ideas, etc.

I hope you don't find this communication overly presumptuous for someone that is really fairly new and lacks formal training (although I am very well read with regard to history, media, materials, pigments, supports, techniques, etc.). Booksmart, but only now with retirment do I have the time to actually "push enough paint around to begin to learn how to actually make art. I have attached a couple of images of some of my "work", as crude as it is so you can see you aren't dealing with an expert. Thank you so very much for taking time out to respond to me.

His quick response was as follows:

Hi William,
Happy to hear from you. You can place my name and the sites where ever you like. I ask that you advise people to first go to the site that you requested the catalog from and have them request the catalog there (because i can monitor the requests that way).
Both the pigmentsplus site and the tdparts site are going to be hosting allot of free info and i will be answering questions and making some video responses to questions. But i am doing it alone so it takes time. People who get the catalog from my sites will gain access to special areas of info when i get the site setup.

As to varnishing oil pastels: when using the ones designed by Vincente(with linseed oil) they can be varnished after several months with damar or other varnish (i use damar because i make it; it is natural and inexpensive). But yet, these works are generally on paper and therefore should be glazed when framed. That said, if i were working with the standard pastel sticks (mineral oil), i would allow air flow around the piece, wait several months and attempt to varnish it (perhaps atomize the varnish - a fine, light spray; perhaps two light coats covering the entire surface). Possibly i would first prepare the paper by varnishing it with two light coats of damar; then work on the image and when i have finally waited the appropriate time, i would mount it and float it in a frame without glass - BUT, that is a dangerous way to display works on paper! Make sure your people understand that it is not the suggested way to do things.....but i have the right to make the attempt, if i so chose - i merely do the best i can to protect the image and the support(paper) before displaying.
Artists who would like to use damar can get an interesting solvent to dissolve the crystals in to make varnish - orangine (Vinc has it and i am testing it in the Montreal studio....so far it is great and the fumes are not toxic like turps) - i will make a video on the subject soon for the site. So stay in touch and have people get the catalog from www.pigmentsplus.com (http://www.pigmentsplus.com/) or www.tdparts.com (http://www.tdparts.com/) or http://www.artistoilpaint.tdparts.com/ (http://www.artistoilpaint.tdparts.com/) they can email me - as you did - and if i can help, i will (the people at Kama do not always have the time to and i learn what subjects people need help with; perhaps even make videos about the subjects for the web.
One thing you will find with my approach: i attempt to make it down to earth and less 'technical' - this stuff is not rocket science it is mainly 'down on the farm' science when you stay with the more natural mediums.

That should do it for now - stay in touch!
Terrance
p.s. i like your Starry Night painting!

{Okay, so left in his compliment about my Van Gogh! Gimme a break, my self image needs all the boosting it can get. Ergo, please forgive me indulging myself that wee bit!:o }

Thus you now have the complete story of my late night correspondence. I apologize if this is long and as I said I really wasn't sure where to put it and what to cut out so I hope this is useful information and clears up the relationship between the French site and Canda/US site. He was very obliging and seems open to inquiries of any kind. He does desire people request the catalog through the site so he can control the release of the Toll free number and his private email address. I have deleted those for that reason.

Let me know what you think. Hope this is informative.

If I hear from John Elliot re the Picasso question I will Post his reponse in that thread.
BTW--24 below 0 outside today!!!! Anyone want to come visit???

Scarefishcrow
02-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Annie--I was just kidding! Your spanish is nowhere nearly as rusty as mine. I'm going to make marks (and hopefully not have to pick pencil wood out of my teeth). Whether they will be worthy of the nomen "Painting" is highly questionable. I am going to take the Landscape classroom pic and try to do that while I am away.

Bill

Pat Isaac
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all this info, Bill. If I understand it correctly, their OPs dry. You could probably put this in the Extra Greasy Oil Pastels thread too as many more people would see it there.

Pat

AnnieA
02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Bill and Pat: I find what Terrance wrote not entirely clear, but it does appear that these are oil sticks and not true OPs (as we in the OP Forum define these things), since they're made with linseed oil, which is drying. I must say I'm disappointed that they're not true OPs.

OTOH, when he refers to the OPs made with mineral oil, is he saying that they make that kind too?

Scarefishcrow
02-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Annie--As I interpret what he said, I think that he was referring to my inquiry as to how to go about producing the proper binder for an OP. My interpretation is the what are called Extra Greasy Oil Pastels are what were developed by Kama in Terrance's stduio. These are produced with Linseed Oil. Wendell has used them and posted reports on them in the EGOP thread. He also clarified that the Kama site is in Canada, not France (simply bilingual) and Pigments Plus is the US site.

If you go to the Pigments Plus site and request the catalog you will get a fairly quick email response from Terrance with their toll free (both US and Canada) number and his personal email. He is willing to answer any questions or help if possible.

I would suggest requesting the catalog and communicating directly since I may not be asking the right questions.

I was very impressed at how quickly he responded and how interested he was in helping. I did get the impression that the EGOP's were somewhat softer than Senns so would have a different feel and working characteristics.

I hope this helps.

Bill