PDA

View Full Version : A Special Thank You to Soft Pastel Studio

winecountry
02-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Hi All,
About a year ago I put my first WC post here on soft pastel, for a long time it was my home. Then I began to visit the Animal and Wildlife forum and now I sort of live there as much of my work is in oils, and visit here, but this is where I started and where I still learn and when I have a pastel I post here.

I wanted to thank all the people who commented and supported and critiqued my work, you made this special award possible.
I've known about this for a couple of months, but yesterday got official paper notice for the 9th Annual Pastel Journal top 100. Pastel Journal's been a real help as I took up pastels again after a 30 year layoff and I still read every issue.

This year is the first time in my art career of over 40 years I've gotten any official recognition for my art work. This summer a Best in Show in a local fair, and now national...But really this award goes to all the mentors, friends, and critics here on WC. Since my first wildlife work was the cheetah piece called "Buddies" done last July, and the Come Closer work was only the third one, it is quite amazing. I also did Come Closer as an oil, the pastel came first and that's what I entered.

NONE of it was possible without all of you, I would especially like to thank Deborah Secor whose postings taught me so much, tho I learned from so many others too. So this belongs to you and the Animal and Wildlife forum
And I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Awards like these are always a matter of luck as much as some skill, nevertheless, the recognition feels good!
My Best,
Colleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2008/103030-IMG_1247.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2008/103030-IMG_1246.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Congratulations Colleen! I know you must be excited and please at this recognition.

Would you please post the winning painting for those who were not here to see it before?

David Patterson
02-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Congrats Colleen...very special indeed!!

breuschle
02-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Wow, that is fantastic! Congratulations Colleen, can't wait to get my issue.

Deborah Secor
02-18-2008, 09:22 AM
:clap: Whooo hooo!!! Way to go, Colleen! Oh, please show us the painting...

I'm just delighted to help anyone and I think it was very sweet of you to mention my name, especially as you acknowledged that there are so many generous and knowledgable people here willing to help. This is a wonderful place to spend time but no one learns anything if they don't also spend time in front of the EASEL, which is where you made this painting...

So, (((hug))) keep going!

Deborah

mrking
02-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Fantastic! Congratulations!!!

maw-t
02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Congratulations! I am fairly new here & I have to agree about this place.. So much knowledge, talent & experience unselfishly shared here everyday! Amazing really.

Would love to see your piece that won!! Congrats again! You should be very proud!!!

Paula Ford
02-18-2008, 10:32 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How wonderful!!!

Paula

winecountry
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Here it is, one of several works I did to donate to a fundraiser for DeWildt Cheetah Sanctuary in So Africa, at Safari West a game preserve just a few miles from where I live in the beautiful winecountry of No. California. I did my first wildlife for that event and did the giraffe as a whim. This one was reaching down to get some cottonwood leaves in the hand of a child near me and when I got home I noticed the reflection..BECAUSE I had just seen Anton by Dorte, so this is why I say the award belongs to so many besides me.

I did the work first as a pastel, then a larger version with more refelction detail in oil. Sadly I don't even know who owns the work now... in the photo the blues are all washed out, so I fixed a patch by the ear in PS to show how the blue I used helped pop out the oranges in the giraffe, it was a lovely blue, fairly intense turquoise shading lighter as it went down the neck, I really liked it as much as the giraffe...I guess PJ didn't notice:lol:
Again many thanks to all
Colleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2008/103030-Come_Closer_pastel_WC.jpg

water girl
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Well deserved! Congratulations!

binkie
02-18-2008, 01:07 PM
:clap: CONGRATULATIONS!!! It's a beautiful painting and a well-deserved honor.

binkie

winecountry
02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
thanks Binkie, that was so sweet
thank you Karen
Paula, thanks!
thanks Michael, love your work
I posted, thanks for the suggestion Kathryn
Thanks David, appreciate you looking in.
Barbara thank you:-)
thank you T, hang around here and boy will your work improve, I'm proof!
and Deborah, you incredible and generous teacher you set a standard for all of us
In this state of gratitude, I'll return to my work...a lynx and cheetah portrait head will be coming as soon as I finish my current oil painting...see you!
Colleen

*Marina*
02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Colleen, well deserved, beautiful painting. Congratulations.

nvcricket
02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
WOW!

Colleen, what an honor! I've been following your 100 cheetahs. You have made remarkable strides, and for remarkable causes.
Dorte has helped lots of us!!! Her talent and desire to share her knowledge through her WIP's is increadible! I agree, there is so much to learn from this site.

This picture is awesome with that eye.

Congratulations.
Carol

M Douglas
02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Congrats Colleen!!! and well deserved!

Melodie

Tracer
02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Way to go Colleen!!!!!

*Violet*
02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
congratulations !! ... your success is our inspiration !!

jillstefaniwagner
02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
I'll add my kudos to the others. Its so wonderful to have acclaim for your work--specially when its people who don't know you, like family and friends. I can't wait to get my issue this month! Keep painting!

Punky2
02-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Great news! Congratulations!

The painting is outstanding! Just gorgeous!

K Taylor-Green
02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! It is a beautiful piece, Colleen and well worth the recognition.

winecountry
02-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much Melodie, Carol,Tracy, Jill and Terri, and Violet, what goes around comes around, I've learned a lot from your critiques here. Marina, thanks, your still lifes blow me away.
Colleen

fiannah
02-18-2008, 08:53 PM
congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Westerngirl
02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Awesome! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

winecountry
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks so much Katherine, Joni and Deb this forum helped make it work for me.
Colleen

bogbeast
02-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Fantastic, and well deserved!!!

Dot Hoffman
02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Colleen, congratulations! Wonderful piece, great creativity!!:clap: :clap:

Merethe T
02-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Congratulations Colleen, that's great!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Merethe

winecountry
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
thanks Merethe, your work helped turn this old abstractionist toward realisim,
the cherries piece was one of the first wips I saw when I started here
Thanks Dot and Bogbeast

palettetalk
02-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Oh Colleen, that is such a wonderful recognition of a truly fabulous painting! CONGRATULATIONS:clap: :clap: :clap: You deserve the recognition and I am delighted for your success. :thumbsup: Hooray for you.:clap:
Cheers,
Susan

Nicki Thompson
02-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Congratulations! It's a GREAT painting!

This is my first time on the pastel forum. I think I'm going to like it here. I paint mostly in oil, but am enjoying pastels. There's so much talent here.

Colleen, I'll have to check out your blog. I want to see more of your work! That giraffe is just gorgeous, (wow, try saying that 3 times).

winecountry
02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Wow Susan thanks, can I email you for a cheer when I'm having a bad day?:-)
Nicki, I work in oils too, in fact did a large oil of this one after the pastel, so I could put a more detailed reflection in thank you

Nicki Thompson
03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Colleen, I visited your blog and enjoyed every minute! Nice work! I really like reflections in paintings, I've done it in oil but not yet in pastel.

Trying to find time to visit WC, keep up with by blog, check emails, work on website, teach, and I won't even mention do housework (oops I did)........when is there time to paint? I have 4 in progress and need to finish them.

Have a great day!
Nicki

winecountry
03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
thank you Nicki

IdahoHat
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Three cheers for Colleen. I remember when you were working on the cat in the water, which was wonderful. This encourages and motivates all of us. Glad your working in both oils and pastels is working.

winecountry
03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
thank you Harriet,
just a note, I've been working for the last 6 months to create a way technically to do oils more like my pastels. I'm getting very close now, and a very experienced pastelist thought a recent oil was pastel.
Technically it's a bit complicated and I've gone through several ways to do it, but am now very close thanks to the expert help of Robert Doak a world renowned color maker in NY. it involves, ground leaded glass and some medium I'm still working on.

soap
03-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Fantastic news. Many, many congratulations!! Well deserved.

winecountry
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
thanks Sophie, you were one of the great inspirations when I first came on this forum

Donna T
03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Wow, Colleen, I just saw that painting in the magazine and didn't realize it was you 'til I opened this thread. Congratulations! It's a beautiful painting and I hope many more awards will be coming your way - you are so talented!!!

Donna

winecountry
03-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh is it out already? I'll have to try to find a copy, thanks Donna

soap
03-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Don't be daft Colleen! Hee hee....hey, why didn't I win then?

But, without kidding, that's one of the nicest things anyone has every said to me about my work. Thanks you, and you're welcome.

Now go and enjoy your fame!!

seosamhin
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Congratulations Colleen. Very creative.
Julia

winecountry
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
thanks Julia, and sophie, is this my 15 min of fame? well it went fast, now back to work:lol:

claydesigner2156
03-07-2008, 06:04 PM
As i'm pretty new, you don't know me, but I applaud your beautiful picture of the giraffe. Wonderful technique. I'm also new to pastel and your work and comments has encouraged me to no end. I hope I can progress at your rapid rate. Congrats again.
Yvonne from NC

Smile....it makes them wonder what you're up to.

winecountry
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I hope so too, and you find here what I did:wave:

Bringer
03-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi,

Congratulations !
I may enter this year's competition.
I saw that work recently on your blog. Really good.

Kind regards,

Josť

winecountry
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Jose, I saw your note, thank you, and go for it, you never know what they will like, and it's not terribly expensive to enter, about $13 per image, this year there were 3500 entries.