PDA

View Full Version : Flowers on Linen

JamieWG
02-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Many thanks to all of you who commented on my vase on the clear-primed linen. Those comments led me to this one.

Flowers on Linen
8x6" (cropped to about 7x5") on clear-primed linen
Painted from life in my studio

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2008/13766-080217_Flowers_on_Linen_5x7_done_500.jpg

There are still some areas that I feel could be worked a bit more, but I don't want to detract from the main flower, so I will probably leave it as is. For such a small painting, this one sure took a long time.

Many thanks for looking! :wave:

Jamie

*Violet*
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
lovely !!

gurleygirl
02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
This is lovely!
Tracey

MrsG_SoCal
02-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Yowza! Just beautiful! The blue of the vase just shimmers and that handle is amazing!

idylbrush
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Jamie, these small still life works are not only charming but they are also wonderfully executed.

~~Kathleen
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
:clap: 'nuff said!
~~Kathleen

Thomas Greaves
02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Jamie,
Your painting of the blue vase is stunning. So much so that it's actually stealing the limelight. I noted that you wanted to make the flowers the stars of the show. Maybe you could strengthen the values of the front bloom, to make it 'pop' a little more, and isolate it from those behind.
Just my view.
A very pleasing painting anyway.

Thomas.

JamieWG
02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Violet and Tracey, thanks so much!

MrsG, I got this little pitcher/vase in an antique shop. It is hand-blown and had a rather high price tag on it. I told the owner of the store that I'm an artist and wanted to paint it and he said, "Well that automatically qualifies you for a 1/3 discount!" LOL Needless to say, how could I resist? I've painted this vase a bunch of times and love it to bits.

Idylbrush, thank you! I generally do a lot more of these little ones than I've been able to squeeze in the past several weeks. Most of my time lately has been spent in the figure studio and on some larger landscapes. I love doing these little still lifes when I have a chance.

Kathleen....LOL....Tyvm. :D

Hiya, Thomas! I'm not worried about the vase playing a major role. I was more worried about the top half of the painting, if I start to work more on the leaves or other flowers, so those are the elements I meant. I also forgot to put a small area of stronger blue into the shadow where some of the light passes through the vase near the base. I'll probably go back in to make that change the next time I pull out my acrylics.

Jamie

MrsG_SoCal
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
MrsG, I got this little pitcher/vase in an antique shop. It is hand-blown and had a rather high price tag on it. I told the owner of the store that I'm an artist and wanted to paint it and he said, "Well that automatically qualifies you for a 1/3 discount!" LOL Needless to say, how could I resist? I've painted this vase a bunch of times and love it to bits.
Ah... a fellow antique hunter! And cobalt glass! :thumbsup:

C_Line
02-17-2008, 11:58 PM
This is really lovely Jamie...is the linen stretched or panels?

sonita
02-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Love the linen bg...yes the vase is awesome but I also like the flowers. But it's true, the vase is so amazing that you forget to look anywhere else :)
Soni

Linee
02-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Very pretty, exquisite. I liked the vase one, too. :)

arl
02-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Lovely. I like that the support plays a part. You can see the weave.

tubbekans
02-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Looks great Jamie, just as is. The linen is a nice background for it. How'd you paint all those little threads? :) Just kidding. The only thing I would suggest is maybe tuning down the highlights on the leaves a bit. That would make the flowers pop a bit more. Very very nice as is though! The vase and flowers are great. :thumbsup:

tamiboo
02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
I have seen the other one on the clear primed linen. But this one is amazing and I love the effect that you get with the canvas. Bravo....

PattiLou
02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Many thanks to all of you who commented on my vase on the clear-primed linen. Those comments led me to this one

Jamie

I like both of your paintings on the clear-primed linen (and I love blue). It (the linen) makes a nice looking background... but what exactly is clear-primed linen? LOL :o

JamieWG
02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
MrsG, glad to find another cobalt glass lover!

Celeste, the linen is unstretched. I will mount it. I don't generally like to paint on stretched canvas/linen because of storage and fragility issues.

Soni, Linda, Arlene....thank you all so much.

Hi Paul. Thank you for your suggestion. The leaf highlights aren't too bright on the actual painting, but your monitor may have higher contrast than mine. Showing the turning of the forms of the leaves without overdoing it was surely one of the challenges here.

Tami, thanks for stopping in and commenting. I think I see a series!

PattiLou, clear-primed linen means that instead of traditional white gesso/primer, this linen was primed with clear gesso/primer so that the color of the linen shows through. I'm going to mount some and try it for pastel too!

Jamie

PattiLou
02-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks Jamie,
I forgot that they make clear gesso now. Have not tried it yet, need to add it to my growing list of things to do.

edtree
02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
:wave: What a beautiful bouquet and vase, Jamie. Gorgeous colors (especially that VASE), and the linen background is perfect for the subjects! Nice job! :D

Elizabeth

susme48
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Jamie....you just keep adding to my envy...lol. This is gorgeous! I also want to know, about the linen? I love it as the background, and would love to have some to use occasionally.

Margaret 59
02-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Beautiful work Jamie, and the vase you last did is stunning!

debee
02-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Lovely work...and I'm going to put clear primed linen on my future shopping list.

Wojdo
02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Looks great, I find that linen works great for acrylic

LavenderFrost
02-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Ooooooh, aaaaahh, beautiful work!

Charlie's Mum
02-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Another beauty!
The blue glass is magnificent (even tho' tiny :lol:) - and you've given it just enough detail I think.
Those alstromerias take a lot of painting and because of their size I think you needed the depth of the blue - on my monitor there's a definite difference between the back and front flowers too.

I like the linen - it's complimentary to these subject (IMO!), so yes, a series is a good idea.
Oh dear, now I have something else on my 'Want it!' list :D

JamieWG
02-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Elizabeth, thank you!

Susan, the linen is primed with a clear primer. It is unstretched.

Margaret, many thanks. I have a big collection of tiny vases---just large enough to hold a couple of blooms. They are nice subjects for my "daily paintings" and minis.

Debbie, my current shopping list is SO LONG that I'm afraid to place the order! LOL

Wojdo, linen is wonderful for anything...except the wallet. LOL

Michelle, I appreciate your comments. Thanks so much for stopping in.

Maureen, I was wondering what those flowers are called! It sure sounds like you have experience with trying to capture them in paint. It truly is a challenge, especially the yellow ones. For some reason I find yellow flowers the most difficult, and these have so many different components, in addition to the regular struggle with values on yellow flowers! I'm glad to add to your "want" list. :evil: :D

Jamie

TxAggieDarlin
02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
very delicate and pretty

CamiTampa
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Very nice. The blue vase is superb.
Cami

JamieWG
02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
TxAggie and Cami, thank you very much. 'Appreciate your comments. It's funny how some objects that are so easy to paint have such an impact, and others that are so difficult have less. Maybe we should all just paint sunrises and glass vases. LOL ;)

Jamie