PDA

View Full Version : Waiting on a Chinook 2

tamiboo
02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Another commission piece. Actually a repaint from one that I painted in oil several years ago. Sure is different painting it in acrylic...lol
Will be going with the daisy's.
I am sure I am close to finished and yet I have not take it down yet hmmmm.
Any comment and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Photo is a little dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2008/9848-HPIM0085.JPG

gurleygirl
02-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Great job Tami, looks sooo cold out there.
Tracey

bchlvr
02-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice painting...you can sure feel the cold.

romi
02-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Nice colors & blending,
Romi

LavenderFrost
02-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Looks good, I think. Is the truck in a river?

~~Kathleen
02-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't think a Chinook will get the old girl running!:lol:
Brings up memories (good ones) though!:thumbsup:
~~Kathleen

dreamz
02-17-2008, 08:21 PM
definately not what I was expecting... I was wondering if you had painted a helicoptor or a grizzly waiting on a salmon:lol: But I guess you mean a storm?

I think the evergreens on the left need to be hazed over like the bare trees on the right. The ones on the right appear closer and yet they are behind a slight fog but the pines stand out and to me it throws off the balance.. I hope that made sense:lol:

Clothyard
02-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Brrrr! I lived in Colorado for a time - loved those Chinook's in the winter! However, it seemed they always had another blizzard riding in on their tails.
I also live in NC now. Nice painting!!

tamiboo
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
definately not what I was expecting... I was wondering if you had painted a helicoptor or a grizzly waiting on a salmon:lol: But I guess you mean a storm?

I think the evergreens on the left need to be hazed over like the bare trees on the right. The ones on the right appear closer and yet they are behind a slight fog but the pines stand out and to me it throws off the balance.. I hope that made sense:lol:

Great suggestion and I have already begun working on that. I will post the update when completed.

A Chinook as it was told to me was a warm wind that brings some relief in a cold winter.(let me know if I am right ) Any way the point to the painting is, that it is an old abandoned truck / car waiting to be restored back to its glory and usefulness.

tamiboo
02-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Looks good, I think. Is the truck in a river?

No, its not a river, but I was wondering about that also. its supposed to be shadows and I see in the picture it looks very dark. I will see if I can work that up a little so that it looks more like snow drifts as intended.. Thanks

~~Kathleen
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
A Chinook as it was told to me was a warm wind that brings some relief in a cold winter.(let me know if I am right ) Any way the point to the painting is, that it is an old abandoned truck / car waiting to be restored back to its glory and usefulness.
Hey there, I live in "Chinook " country (Southern Alberta, Canada.)
We are in the middle of a Chinook as we speak!
Yesterday it was blustery and cold, -35C.,today it is melting.
Here, where I live, the cold weather never lasts long, as the Chinooks are frequent, and the weather can turn on a dime.
Not too many blizzards though, but we do get a good wind as the Chinook recedes:lol:
~~Kathleen

CamiTampa
02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
What's a Chinook? What's all that white stuff on that truck? Okay no joke, great job. Very minimalist, though it says alot, it is powerful.

Cami
I really haven't a clue what a Chinook is.

Andun
02-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Oh wow..that looks sooo cold.

Linee
02-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I like the colors in this. The red stands out nicely against the background and compliments the sky beautifully. It seems that the trees in the background work as bookends. I wouldn't mind seeing one set larger than the other.

TxAggieDarlin
02-19-2008, 10:45 AM
It does look cold brrr. Nice job

howyadoin
02-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Great piece. The old truck really adds a lot to it.

~~Kathleen
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
What's a Chinook? What's all that white stuff on that truck? Okay no joke, great job. Very minimalist, though it says alot, it is powerful.

Cami
I really haven't a clue what a Chinook is. Here you go Cami, the very best (laymans) discription of a Southern Alberta Chinook weather mass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind
~~Kathleen

CamiTampa
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
I sort of thought is was a snow plow or tractor. I was wrong, very wrong. I'll never complain about the Florida heat again.
Cami

gaykir
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
I was wondering - how does a nice girl from the Carolins'a know about Chinooks?

tamiboo
02-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I was wondering - how does a nice girl from the Carolins'a know about Chinooks?

I remembered this painting I saw once when I was a kid. In it were some cattle almost covered up in snow storm or something, out west and they were waiting for a Chinook.That painting has always stuck with me. I believe it was painted by Charles Russel. Anyway in an art class with my old mentor I was working on the first version of this piece and he brought up the Chinook. And the whole idea of the warming wind and the old truck looking for its warming wind just struck me as poetic....

Fainsbert
02-23-2008, 09:57 AM
So THAT'S what a Chinook is. Guess we just had one here in NJ.
You sure got the "cold" look in this painting. I thought the truck was in a river, too, so lightening the snow there would help. The headlights look like they're turned on. Maybe you could glaze them a bit to "turn them off". I like the way you handled the rest of the snow...lovely coloring. I think the scene is great!
Lucie

tamiboo
02-23-2008, 07:30 PM
So THAT'S what a Chinook is. Guess we just had one here in NJ.
You sure got the "cold" look in this painting. I thought the truck was in a river, too, so lightening the snow there would help. The headlights look like they're turned on. Maybe you could glaze them a bit to "turn them off". I like the way you handled the rest of the snow...lovely coloring. I think the scene is great!
Lucie

Thanks Lucie I am working on those points and will post when I get a chance to finish and take a photo.