PDA

View Full Version : I am losttt..need help..:(

acrylicsgirl
02-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Guys.....
I started this...i dont know what in mind....i used yellow calla lillies as reference....and wanted to paint them violet. But i guess it was not a great idea :(

Can you help me in moving forward it will be of great help! I think that yellow is what i should get rid off. What do u think???
here is the WIP.... this is painted on 11"X14"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04263.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04264.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04265.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04268.JPG

Andun
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
It is your painting so I guess you aren't happy with it but,,,for me,it is moving along well into a very nice piece:)

dreamz
02-17-2008, 01:49 AM
looks like its working to me! we all suffer from the ugly stages where we arent sure.. if this is your ugly stage... you have nothing to worry about!

*Violet*
02-17-2008, 03:20 AM
i think it's pretty !! .... just might suggest a darker value of violet with the yellow closer to the disappearing depth of the inside of the lily ... like a tunnel? ... lighter violet to the outer edge of it like the outside of it ....

Faded
02-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I agree, this is coming along nicely. You might consider brightening the yellows and deepening the violet where they come together, increasing the contrast between the two. This is well on it's way
-David

Lady Carol
02-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I just think you need to blend the colours more = a few more layers of paint. It has a lovely base to it but you need to sharpen the edges more and blend from one colour to the next. Keep going you will pull it together. Just needs a little more work.

gurleygirl
02-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Off to a great start and middle.
Tracey

koksie
02-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Paint a few more layers on your callas. Then let it rest for one day or more. You will see the painting looks much more beautiful than if you are working on it. (Hope you can understand what I mean, because of my English.)

Brigitte

Ms.Understood
02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
This is looking good--but I do think I like the blending and contrasts of the middle photograph better than what's going on in the third.

I look forward to seeing your progress--I have had a callalilly in mind lately also...(but my flowers have a twist)

Clothyard
02-17-2008, 05:48 PM
A little more blending (as said above) would help. You have a red-violet going in the flowers, so a triadic would be red-violet, blue-green, yellow-orange. You might add a lightest touch of red to the yellows, blue to your green stems to harmonize . For me though I think it is the stark black background that is in the way a little of the beautiful colors you have going. It is going well and I like it - let it rest for a day or two, take it away from the easel and prop it in your living room or something and you will know what you want to do to it. Your world, it can be anything you want.

~~Kathleen
02-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Wonderful so far....I agree with all that has been said already!
Keep it up!
~~Kathleen

dhonegger
02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Oh boy, here goes. I'm so very, very new to still life painting, so all I can offer are things that jump out at me. If I am wrong about these components, here is my opportunity to learn from those of you who disagree.

I'm bothered by the lily at the bottom of the painting that is cut off at its joint at the top of the stem and the bottom of the lily. I'm also bothered by the lily at the top that is butted right up to the edge of the canvas. That lily will also be chopped off by the frame. But it just feels like it needs some breathing room. I also see 3 separate "forms" on this canvas. One lily on the left, one in the center, and the 2 on the right stacked to make one form, making it difficult to see 2 lilies there. I don't know how to explain it but it's like making 3 marks with space between each. I think a 2 or more lilies, overlapping will help tighten it up. It's a very challenging flower because it doesn't have many-layered or full petals to fill up the space, so other than adding a few more to tie them together, I draw a blank. But those 3 separate forms need to be tied together somehow. My very humble input.

Di

TxAggieDarlin
02-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I think you have some good advice...just keep at it...gl :)

acrylicsgirl
02-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Here is the updated one..... C&C 's please....thank you

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04272.JPG

acrylicsgirl
02-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Paint a few more layers on your callas. Then let it rest for one day or more. You will see the painting looks much more beautiful than if you are working on it. (Hope you can understand what I mean, because of my English.)

Brigitte

I understand what u mean. Frankly i never really understood this fact, but after u said it...and when i loolked at it the next day i did see the colors blend in.

acrylicsgirl
02-19-2008, 11:52 PM
This is looking good--but I do think I like the blending and contrasts of the middle photograph better than what's going on in the third.

I look forward to seeing your progress--I have had a callalilly in mind lately also...(but my flowers have a twist)

I agree with you...and that is why i went back to just white...

loobyteacher
02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
The violet is blending nicely. I hope you put some yellow back into the insides of the blooms. It would make a great complementary addition. I agree with Di the two bloom on the left make one form, and the two stuck together are not as interesting as the single blooms. You have done such a wonderful job so far.

acrylicsgirl
02-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh boy, here goes. I'm so very, very new to still life painting, so all I can offer are things that jump out at me. If I am wrong about these components, here is my opportunity to learn from those of you who disagree.

I'm bothered by the lily at the bottom of the painting that is cut off at its joint at the top of the stem and the bottom of the lily. I'm also bothered by the lily at the top that is butted right up to the edge of the canvas. That lily will also be chopped off by the frame. But it just feels like it needs some breathing room. I also see 3 separate "forms" on this canvas. One lily on the left, one in the center, and the 2 on the right stacked to make one form, making it difficult to see 2 lilies there. I don't know how to explain it but it's like making 3 marks with space between each. I think a 2 or more lilies, overlapping will help tighten it up. It's a very challenging flower because it doesn't have many-layered or full petals to fill up the space, so other than adding a few more to tie them together, I draw a blank. But those 3 separate forms need to be tied together somehow. My very humble input.

Di

Hi dhonegger, first of all thank you for your honest input and i really appreciate it. and i havnt read ur suggesstion before i could start tuning it. But i do see ur point. Probably that is why i always felt it was not so appealing.

Does anyone think i could give it some different background...other than black...may be it would get a little more interesting. Now definitely i dont want to move my flowers up or down. So i want to do something in the background or something between the flowers itself to fill the gap.....like long leaves?????.....i dont know....suggestions please.................:confused:

*Violet*
02-20-2008, 03:53 AM
i think your lilies look fine against the dark back ground ... you might feel better about them if you painted them with a more definite light source ... even if your reference photo had a fairly indistinguishable light source you could decide on your own where one would best come from ... i played with a copy of your painting and chose to invent a light source from the left ... which would light up the left side of the outside of your tubular lilies and the right side of the inside as indicated by the arrows ... think of the lilies as tubes ... if you wanted some yellow stamens they could be added too with slightly shadowed right sides ... the two right blooms could be separated by some green ... and as was previously mentioned, since the topmost blossom was so close to the canvas edge it could be shortened some ... apologies about the crudeness of my example in which i tried to illustrate the light source, additional shadows, and the shortening of the top bloom as well as the addition of stamens which you could choose to leave out altogether ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2008/46454-a_a_lilies.jpg

it always helps to look at the values and the part they play by squinting ...

acrylicsgirl
02-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Wow.....Violet i really appreciate your effort to help me out....it really did bring life to this dull painting. I am so glad that i am here....
The reference photo which i used was a very small picture inside a big photo....which i cut out....and these were actually yellow callas...which i wanted o paint violet...coz i love that color...but is so hard to deal with....when compared to red or yellow... I will post my reference pic tonight.

I have so many question popping out of my head right now..... about the way u played with this painting to add life to it. I mean what tool did u use to generate this image???.... i want to know about it because it will definitely help me to experiment as you did before i spoil the actual canvas with all the experiments....i guess u understand what i mean.

Charlie's Mum
02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Acryl/girl ... you can use any of many paint pprogrammes to try out things like this.
I use PSP8, but there's Corel and also some free downloadable programmes ... try googling for some if you don't already have an Image programme .(What do you use for your re-sizing etc?).

When painting, tonal values are always needed to get the painting looking 'right' (which is why Violet has done this for you) - apart from the composition, of course, so it's worth trying out little sketches at the outset, playing with comp and tonal arrangements, regardless of colour. Just use a pencil or pen or charcoal - they don't have to be big :D

Your b'ground could be layered with glazes of colour to take the heaviness off it and still leave you a really dark b/g .. but it would be more interesting because you'd get variations in colour coming through. Try using glazes of green and yellow over the black - it should still be subtle.

I like your colours in the latest painting better than earlier - but when painting the shapes, try to 'feel' the form of the petal, stalk or leaf .. imagine the direction and fall and roundness coming through your hand.

Keep going - you'll get there! :)

acrylicsgirl
02-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Thank you Maureen for your advice. I surely do need a lot of advice to get my skills right. Previously i always used pencil....shading there is much easier when it comes to color shading. I don't really have experience to actually understand when to use dark shade and when to use light....and how i can mix and match to get the shades right. And this is one problem i have a lot when dealing with Green. For some reason i can never get this color right. It always goes off the track.

I use IrfanView suggested in this form itself to resize the image.

gaykir
02-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I like the black background. Just keep at it. You'll get there!

*Violet*
02-21-2008, 12:33 AM
i used paint shop pro to make the changes ... like other paint programs it allows you to *pick up* a colour and apply it like a *brush* or a *spray can* .... there are tools that allow you to draw straight lines and many other things ... see what programs are on your computer and search the net for tutorials if you don't happen to know someone that can demonstrate what a program that you might have can do ... it's really helpful to test things out ... i've not gotten really into working the programs to their potential but just the crude fiddling i do to make a point serves me well enough ...

have fun with your lilies !! ... experiment more with them ... you're doing very well with blending ... you'll have this looking wonderful in no time !!

acrylicsgirl
02-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Hello frnds,....was busy at work...couldnot get time to work on my painting.First Thanks to Violet for helping me out with the beautiful example. I have taken it as the base and i have painted shades to it. It looks a lot lot better and lively than the first time i looked at it. Thank you once again to each and every one for looking at it and giving me suggestions to improve. I did and will help me a lot.
So here is the updated version. let me know what you all think.. i cant wait to hang it on my wall...
:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04357.JPG

acrylicsgirl
02-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Ms.Understood
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
This is really lovely. Crisp and yet delicate. The shading is beautiful.

idylbrush
02-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Time gives you a fresh eye.

*Violet*
03-01-2008, 02:12 AM
lovely !! ... well done !! .. :thumbsup:

acrylicsgirl
03-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Thank you Jenny, idylbrush and Violet :)

LavenderFrost
03-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Much more dimension to it now. :thumbsup: