PDA

View Full Version : Optical Illusions

Artchrispy
02-16-2008, 09:18 AM
It would be interesting to incorporate this optical technology into an op. I know this is nothing new to anyone here but this professor in Japan has turned this into an art form.

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/kic/~akitaoka/index-e.html

The image is best viewed full screen! Not for the faint of heart!!

Pat Isaac
02-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Amazing!!! Try it....It would require a ton of patience.

Pat

LJW
02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Strange the way it moves. It would be a lot of work to reproduce, and might drive you crazy or make you seasick trying. :lol: Jane

AnnieA
02-16-2008, 09:52 AM
It reminds me of the OP Art of the 60s! Fun! :)

Scarefishcrow
02-16-2008, 08:49 PM
:eek:
You're right. Not fort the faint of heart. Wish you had warned me it would move! I'm trying to imagine combining that with Escher and actually get Escher's where you actually see the water flowing continuously in channels the make a complete circuit of flowing up then back down!

:rolleyes:
Bill

starblue
02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
There's a good quasi-coffee-table book about this kind of art called Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali and the Artists of Optical Illusion, by Al Seckel. It profiles 20 artists from the 1500's to the present. The professor of vision science, A. Kitaoka, who Artchrispy linked to, is included, and Rotating Snakes is in the book, although the print version isn't nearly so compelling as the online one. The illusions covered include figure/ground reversals, perspective tricks, anamorphosis, composite portraits constructed of unexpected objects, solid sculptures that change their apparent shape as you walk around them or whose shape looks like one thing but their shadow reveals an entirely different shape, ambiguous imagery, tricks with typography, and op art. The book's worth a trip to the bookstore or library.

TBond
02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
WOW This is so cool!!!! I don't understand how does this work...

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Bob,
Your remarks reminded me of a small book I read some time back simply called Perception. It was a quasi-scientific/popular account of studies and controversies about how to and if one could study perception in humans. It dealt a lot with art and how the mind processes many of these optical illusions. Very fascinating and I will see if I can locate the title. I think you would find it interesting. It turns out the mind is amazingly adaptive to distorted perception. It outlined an experiment where volunteers wore special devices that made the world look upside down, but after a period they adapted.

One of the more interesting things I remember as related to art was the author's discussion of El Greco's elongated figures. It has been argued that this was evidence of some optic abnormality by some. The author of this book pointed out that even if figures appeared that way to El Greco, he would have had to have painted them so as to appear normal to us if they still appeared elongated to him on the canvas. Kind of a head scratcher at first, but makes sense when you think about it.

:music: :heart: :music: