PDA

View Full Version : Madame in the Green Chapeau

Chief
02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2008/93689-Madame_with_the_Green_Chapeau.jpg
Canvas 18 x 24" Acrylic. C&C welcomed.

sonita
02-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Beautiful colors and flow in this piece but I am not quite sure what I'm supposed to see? Not sure what a chateu is but I know it has something to to with a madam. There are 2 possibilities for me..either the back of a woman wearing a dress or the other thing I can see is an abstract face surrounded in beatiful flowing colors.
Soni

sonita
02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
it was chapeau not chateu :)

CamiTampa
02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't understand this at all. I think I see a face. The painting is far better than the title.

Cami

romi
02-15-2008, 06:31 PM
it works a trick on you - because you can see 2 paintings in one!
Google Translate can be very useful to get the title - from French - Chapeau=hat
great movement! can't decide about her feelings!

Romi

sonita
02-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the translation Romi :)
Soni

Thomas Greaves
02-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Sonita, thanks for the tip, now I remember what a chapeau is, I can see what's going on here. You were right on your second guess....[I hope...or I'm gonna look a fool]...must admit though, I was struggling beforehand.
I agree with you Cami, about the painting, not the title. The painting is good. Well, I kinda like it. It's intriguing. Some nice colour tensions, [also some not so good], and I can see a certain level of cubist influence. But I think it needs more definition, maybe via stronger shadows. And I think that even though the eyes are acceptable on different planes, they would read better if they were at least parallel. But hey, who am I to comment on this?
Certainly courageously different, so you get my approval on that alone.

Thomas Greaves
02-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Romi, her mood? That's a good question. I read her as either looking away through disaffection/disinterest, or shes really sad. Hard to decide. I suppose others will see her differently.

Fainsbert
02-15-2008, 09:07 PM
My first reaction was that she doesn't like her hat, according to her facial expression. (I knew what a chapeau was). You can get a whole story from this painting. I like the way you did her hair. What's the story on this babe?

Lucie

romi
02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
her hair is so dense, opaque and warm and the red SO dramatic
it looks like she is in pain
Romi

sonita
02-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok, I just had my ahaa moment :) Now that Romi mentioned the hair it suddenly all fell in place for me and I can clearly see the face, the hair and the hat...interesting how different it looks to me now than before :) I like it, it's kind of evolving infront of my eyes everytime I look at it.
Soni

Chief
02-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your kind comments......yes. I'd agree she's in pain....perhaps a toothache:eek: A hangover:evil: Her hat's too tight:D Whatever it is, she has my sympathy.

palette
02-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Turns out my imagination was working overtime on this one, lol. I see her as bi-polar: one side of her face is calm and serene and the other is contorted and in pain. Good portrayal. Congrats.:thumbsup: