PDA

View Full Version : Yupo & Acrylic Paint

sbarre
02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Could any of you give me your thoughts on using Yupo paper as a support for acrylics? Does it need to be preped before painting -- gesso or other primer?

Thanks,
Steve

Lady Carol
02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I would think no preparation you want the colour to flow and you would lose that if you gessoed over the plastic. I am assuming that you are using diluted paint.

mrs willow
02-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi Steve, I have used acrylics on yupo a number of times. There is no need to prepare it ...just paint straight onto it!
If you want to get the best out of the qualities of the yupo, you will need to work fast. Once the acrylic paint dries you can't move it ( but of course you can experiment)
My attachment is an abstract acrylic on yupo...I used cling wrap on this one.The colours remain brilliant because they sit on the surface (no absorption...I also used some coloured pencil...can see it on the surface of the water)

sbarre
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I am assuming that you are using diluted paint.
I'm not looking to do a watercolor effect. I was just hoping to use it as an alternative to my usual wood panel support. I do mostly glazes and dry brush.

I came across the Yupo while researching hot pressed watercolor paper. The WC paper seemed a little pricey and then I was intregued by the idea of a synthetic paper -- thought I might give it a try. I had planned to use gesso on the HP WC paper before applying the acrylics and wondered if it was necessary to do the same for the Yupo.

If you want to get the best out of the qualities of the yupo, you will need to work fast. Once the acrylic paint dries you can't move it ( but of course you can experiment)
Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that I'm very familiar with acrylic paint. It's the Yupo that I know little about.

I'm assuming then, that the acrylic will adhere very well to the Yupo without any prep.

BTW - I llike your painting very much -- nice color and textures. Is the cling wrap permanently collaged into the painting or was it removed to leave its textural imprint?

Thanks for your responses,
Steve

mrs willow
02-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Steve ...:wave: No need to use gesso...acrylics adhere really well.
Re the cling wrap...I removed it once the paint was dry enough to hold its shape.
Have fun!
Cheers Sandy

sbarre
02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks Sandy, I'll pick up a couple of sheets and give it a go.

Steve

Café LoLa
08-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm actually doing some experiment on Yupo. I've got columns of different acrylic mediums, including gesso:

1. Gesso, Thinly applied
2. Gesso, Thickly applied (brushstrokes visible)
3. Golden Garnet Fine
4. Golden Fibre Paste
5. Layer of Clear Tar Gel, with some umber colour worked in.
6. String Gel
7. Non-surfaced.

Then for each rows I apply some varying brush techniques:

A. Masstone with broken colour - normal and extra thick (basically one colour brushed on, and 2nd colour worked through for broken colour)
B. Glazing - 2 vertical lines, dark and light, crossed with 2 horizontal line, dark and light again
C. Pontillism
D. Drybrushing with 2 colours, scumbled together
E. Thick masstone, with scrafitto etchings

My tests were twofold - to try Yupo as a surface, and to try unconventional surfaces, other than gesso.

Initial observations:
Gesso holds well on Yupo, as does fibre paste and tar gel, along with string gel. So does Garnet with an exception of 3E (scrafitto on garnet). Any firm scratching will lift the garnet base off Yupo.

I can post a photo of my test tomorrow.