PDA

View Full Version : Mixing plaster with acrylic

Tull
02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Have you ever mixed plaster with acrylic paint? I have an idea for a painting and I want it to be heavily textured. I plan on painting this on canvas and Iím not sure how the plaster will stick? I donít know if the color will mix with the plaster? Any thoughts on this?

MRSBB
02-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi Tull. I have never tried this, but it sounds interesting. I have used joint compound on some plaster lawn ornaments and then painted them with acrylics and then used a sealer and that worked. I am not sure it would stick to canvas. Think I would start with a couple of heavy coats of gesso on the canvas first. Sounds like it would work if it is a project that would be used indoors. I need to redo the lawn ornaments every couple of years as the rain and sun do there damage, but it works. I'd say just try it on a small canvas first and see what effect you get. I did see some beautiful 3-D paintings at an art show one time, but I'm not sure how he did it. Keep having fun........Lenore

~~Kathleen
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Tull good to see you.
Two suggestions;
Idylbrush (Howard to most of us:lol:) is probably the best person to answer this question for you.
He uses (amazingly, at that) textures on and in his paintings a lot. I would consider him the local legend/expert on this subject!
Look here for a discussion re the subject your question.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412607&highlight=moulding+paste

~~Kathleen

dreamz
02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I have tried using various plasters mixed with acrylics with varying results. Plaster of paris sets up WAY to quickly to work with unless you water the paint down ALOT, even craft paint! Wall plaster mix works somewhat better but again you have to really play with the water/paint/plaster mix. Wall joint compound and craftpaint is a decent mix but you need to add a LOT of paint. Actually all 3 above need a LOT of paint/pigment unless you want pale colors. The best option I found was powdered tempra pigments and joint compound with lots and lots of mixing. The only drawback is all the colors are dull/flat but a clear gloss spray does give them some sheen.

I never tried using the mix on canvas. I used a plywood panel and it took a long time to dry, thinner applications had a tendency to flake off and thicker applications would crack as they dried. All in all as an experiment I listed it as failed.

Depending on what your trying to accomplish in texture etc, I did have much better results using a mix of white glue, clear acrylic glaze, water and tissue or paper towel. soak the paper and use it like modelling clay. You can also add color to the mix. I have used this on canvas as well as repairing halloween decorations. I've even used it to make masks and other props.

There are thicker gesso's and mediums designed just for adding texture that are more recognized as archival but I haven't used them. Im sure someone who has experience with these products will post soon

Shirl Parker
02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
What about applying the plaster without paint for the texture and then painting over it.

Shirl