PDA

View Full Version : a few paintings

abi_2_u
02-15-2008, 12:21 PM
hello everyone, I'm new to WC and try different forums posting some of my work I have done since September '07: all the experience I posses you will see it here :) starting now.
c&c is more than welcome

Thomas Greaves
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Abi, and welcome to the forum.
I like all of the paintings you have presented to us here. Each one of them is charming and evocative in its own individual way. All of them are very expressive.
Your painting of the tree is particularly well executed, and I really like the atmosphere you have created with the simple blue palette in your landscape.
I like the simple composition of the seated figure by the wall, nice and to the point.
But my favourite has to be your dancer. This painting has great colour and vitality. A great celebration of the dance.
I hope you will post more of your work now that you have joined us.
I find it very refreshing.

Thomas.

MrsG_SoCal
02-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Charming is the first word that came to me too. Love the kids in the snow piece!!

Welcome!

Linee
02-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Welcome, and thank you for sharing your work. I enjoyed viewing each one. I think the night scene is my favorite. Lots of diversity in your work. Looking forward to seeing more.

~~Kathleen
02-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Welcome !
Glad you have decided to join us!
What a wonderful collection of styles you have.
I am not sure if I like the first one (The person sitting on the sidewalk) or the children playing in the snow!
No matter they are all wonderful.
Keep up the good work.
~~Kathleen

LavenderFrost
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Some nice work here, though the figure in the first one is a little spooky.

The one with the children is lovely with the nice highlights on the snow and I like the background too.

The tree is really good, though the trunk seems to stop abruptly at the top.

The landscape is wonderful.

On the dancer, my favourite part is the ruffles on the skirt.

Charlie's Mum
02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Thjanks for sharing your work with us too :D

I do like the Children - even though there are some problems with the composition, I like the way you treated it .... the winter trees are really good giving a nice cold feeling to the work. I like the way you kept the colour to the kids. There's a feeling of sunlight on them and the snow - but not on the houses?

The tree painting - I like the patterning of all the branches and the sense of looking up - good!

There's some good painting in the landscape - but also some rather crude areas - but these could quite easily be improved!

Good colour and brushwork in the dancer painting - vibrant and full of movement.

When you post the next painting, would you please tell us the size and what you've painted on ... canvas, board, paper? It helps us judge the work better :D

Looking forward to seeing more :D

dreamz
02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Welcome!:wave: Theres a great diversity to your work. Im sure we'll all benefit from your input..

abi_2_u
02-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Hello everyone and thank you for all your comments; I'm positive you will see me grow besides you :) ... I'm back again and if it's ok I will continue here with my next set of paintings
(small note: children scene & flamenco dancer are done on a canvas board , size 12x16, 8x10 is the lonely traveler & tree's size canvas board ; the last one, with the night scene is also done on canvas board size 11x14)

this sunset board on canvas is my second painting I've ever painted (soon you'll see the 1st one too) I was done with it in about 1 1/H lots of fund doing it, I was inspired by Bob Ross, I like the idea in creating something beautiful in a very short time (a painter Utopia); I used brush and a few knife strokes
the sea site I have created on a 12x16 canvas board and I found very difficult to create the water line/tides or something to look like it, over the sky I used both the knife & brush
now this was my very first painting that I didn't like at all but someone did and bought it on ebay, it was done on a 20x16 stretched canvas over frame , I painted the sides too ... now don't think I got rich with after this sell :lol: ; I was just curious to see if anyone would be interested of such stile
the starting point of this painting was one photo of a tornado and since I have no clue how to create a realistic tornado cloud I made it more as an abstract interpretation, 11x14 canvas on board
the northern light , another painting I enjoy doing mixing the knife with brush strokes , I can't get the finish I'd like to have over the sky light, blending all colours together in a smooth transition this is a task I continue working on, one day I will have the perfect Northern Light sky - 11x14 canvas on boardHave a great weekend :wave:

Thomas Greaves
02-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Abi,
All I can say to your second set of paintings is WOW!...WOW!...WOW!!!
You are going to put me to shame :lol:
Please don't ever stop painting.....you have a talent.

Thomas.

LavenderFrost
02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, good stuff. I have thought about painting northern lights, but never tried yet.

abi_2_u
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
:wave: Thomas :) that's very nice of you to say and gives me hope to go further on with this new hobby; I have visited your site and I must say I like the most your last watercolor winter scene and all the graphite work; a while after I started with acrylic I bought a few pencils and a 9x12 drawing booklet and tried my hand with a few photos , I liked the result even though it didn't resemble nothing from the original picture as it turns out also with my paintings :) it gave me that happiness you see in children's eyes when receive a new toy or his fav cake :) ; after almost a month of drawing i start painting again and at my surprise the brush was a bit estranged from my hand , I favored the pencil ...as I saw you mentioned the facial expression is my utter challenge and I love it ( I posted a few drawings on portraiture forum if you like to see them and give me some c&c ); coming back to my acrylic painting this next set is done on canvas boards except the indian , this one is again on a 16x20 (my biggest canvas size) stretched canvas over frame (an inspiration from an old half cross stitch needle point I have done )

9x10 - replica of "pescarita la Granville" bye Nicolae Grigorescu, a famous Romanian painter
11x14 an inspiration from another calendar , later on you'll see it in summer perspective
11x14 this bird gave me a big headache after I finished his head and neck, till here everything was just fine but the body, the wings and tail was a tough challenge, the grass & back ground I did it only with the knife
most of the indian I've done it by brush but the grass is on knife
around Christmas time I did this 8x10 piece after a photo i fell in love from the net :) it looks just like my son when he was about 3 years old.As I've mentioned 16x20 is my largest canvas due to lack of work space :) I use my computer desk , I listen to music, chat a bit with my friends and paint or draw. I would like though to have a small studio to paint larger one and start on oil medium. Till next time, take care & best wishes :wave:

mrs willow
02-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Abi :wave: Welcome. I have just spent a very enjoyable time looking at your delightful range of paintings .
You seem very keen and you are not afraid to tackle a wide range of subject matter...Bravo! I think my favourites are the children in the snow and the bird in the last series.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sandy

palette
02-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Hello and welcome!
Thank you so much for sharing your artwork with us. I simply adore all of your paintings with trees, they have a definitive style that I hope you never lose as you learn.

Energetic, lively and fresh are just a few of the words that describes your art.:clap:

sonita
02-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum Abi :)
I really enjoy your style and couldn't pick a favorite from all those different ones...unique and fresh approach. All I can say is..keep em coming :)
Soni

susme48
02-17-2008, 12:49 AM
I went and looked at your other stuff....I just wish that after approximately the same amount of time that I had your skills....You are quite talented, to say the least. My fav...if I had to pick is the tree....I love the view. Second is the sunset...

I want to say wow again...lol.

CamiTampa
02-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Welcome, and yes I too see plenty of talent. Just a few I didn't like but that is just a matter of taste. Can't pick out one I like the best, since I like most of them alot.

Cami

abi_2_u
02-17-2008, 03:06 AM
:wave: did you miss me :) , here I am with a new series; before I start my little description of it I just want to say a few words to my last 3 visitors:
sandy, your two favorites are among mine too and yes, I like experimenting to see how far can I reach; this is just the beginning...
palette, I see in my paintings two work stile when it comes to the trees that I love doing - the knife trees & the brush shady trees and I think I'll keep making them this way, at least for now...
soni, I can't see "my stile", probably because I've tried different things, I don't know...
susme, during a walk in the park with my son I snapped a few tree images, one of them I used it in my painting, I find trees mysterious, majestic, fascinating...

the light-house is mostly made with pallet knife on a 16x20 stretched canvas over frame from a calendar; that original photo was a bit different but I like mine better :D
sunset n moon it's a 9x12 board canvas sorry for poor picture quality, (there's the reflection of the bulb-light in my painting)
the sitting man was another success in my second & last attempt on ebay; 16x20 stretched canvas over frame as you can see it's a mix knife/brush (I didn't like the painting)
11x14 canvas on board forest mostly done with the knife
same as above, 11x14 canvas on board this sunset and boat I made it right after the "blue sea boat"; frustrations when I did the water

Andun
02-17-2008, 03:11 AM
What a collection:) You really do have a nice style going already.I do have a favorite though.The tree at sunset in your second set.Stunning piece!

abi_2_u
02-17-2008, 03:29 AM
thank you Cami :) don't worry I have more than a few I dislike and for further reference - you can tell the one u don't like , I won't get upset I know very well how it is with "the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder :); I visited ur site and I really, really like "the beach" sky, whenever can spare a few moments to tell me how you do them I would greatly appreciate
Anthony thanks for the visit & comments ! bye 4 now :wave:

LavenderFrost
02-17-2008, 04:34 PM
That bird may have given you a headache, but I think it's one of your best.

abi_2_u
02-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Ty lavanderfrost, taking in consideration that was my 4th painting yes I'm proud of it

16x20 canvas on board , winter night
5x7 canvas on board, rural scene , knife work
8x10 canvas on board, rural scene
5x7 canvas on board, hay hat girl -grass done in knife
14x24 streched canvas

abi_2_u
02-17-2008, 09:07 PM
material - canvas on board

8x10 - knife & brush
& 3. ugly paintings 11x14 4. 16x20 table & flowers
5. 16x20 leafs

~~Kathleen
02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I absolutely love the diversness of your styles here.
In the last set, I am totally taken with #s 1 & 4.
(I am a landscape person.)
Welcome to Wet Canvas, I sure hope to see more of your work!
~~Kathleen

abi_2_u
02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
this series concludes my painting journey from September 2007 until current month , I am glad you enjoyed some of them as much as I do and I will come back with new one whenever 1 or 2 will be finished , thanks again and don't forget C&C from everyone :wave:

1 & 2 - renown "Sfinxul & Babele" this strange formation are part of the Carpathian Mountain in Romania, I tried my best to create the illusion of rocks , if anyone can give me some reference points on how to paint nice rocks will help a lot
8x10 - summer lake
9x12 - swan
11x14 lady in black, all - canvas on board

susme48
02-24-2008, 07:02 PM
I really liked the precision and simplicity of the grass in the water...#1 in the next to the last series.

Artchrispy
02-24-2008, 10:33 PM
In your first set I find the tree is my favorite. It's a very powerful composition and flawlessly executed.
Your second set is breathtaking! I love how you use dominant hues.
( I was going to try to take everything in but there is just too much for one thread.) You have a distinct look and a broad range. My favorite of all shown is the tree in the opening set.

abi_2_u
02-25-2008, 12:25 AM
my thanks again for your visit and additional comments; here is my newest painting I want to post in the national park project, there is something I don't like but can't figure exactly what is it...maybe I need a few more yellowish patches on the right !? as you know by now - it's acrylic, on 20x16 stretched canvas; till next time, take care & happy painting :wave:

PS - I've started my gallery manager - 2 collections are up to date, the 3rd one just started

romi
02-25-2008, 01:15 AM
your paintings are very good, like your drawings, by the way...
keep them going....
Romi