PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Mural

thollis
02-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I've recently been commissioned to paint an outdoor mural and I need alot of advice as it is my first!

These are the specs I'm going by so far:

-9'x18' wall in an open air pavillion protected by a roof, but no walls
-Mural will be painted on separate panels, then attached to the wall side by side
-Location is South Atlanta, Georgia so temps will vary from 20F in the -winter to 100F in the summer with alot of humidity.
-Scene will be a lake, sky, vegetation with groups of families scattered throughout.

Here are my questions:
1) What type of panels should I use? How should I prep them?
2) I am considering using Artists Exterior Acrylics from Dick Blick. Is there another option that would work?
3) Recommendation for color palette would be helpful. I'm used to working with a lot of colors, but I'd like to limit the colors to cut costs.

thanks!
Tiffani

idylbrush
02-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I would check with a sign company. There is a product that can be used outside. It is called gatorboard. I would want to research it specifically to find out if it will do the job. I know that sign shops use it quite frequently.

Basically it is a foam center with a skin of wood product and resin on both sides. It comes in white, black and a brown tone. If using exterior artists quality acrylics, I would at minimum gesso the panels and finish with a UV varnish over the gloss sealers (check the Golden Paints website for further details). These panels can be adhered with a construction adhesive or maybe even screws and washers. All depends on the size and location and how close the public can get.

Have you googled mural painting to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I am certainly not an expert having only done two mural sized works and both were interior installations.

As far as a limited palette, have you considered a split primary palette with the addition of white, black and maybe a burnt sienna and ochre. That would mean 10 colors overall and you can purchase those in large quantities/sizes.

A split primary palette consists of a warm and cool version of each of the primary colors. You can find out more about it by googling split primary palette.

Be sure to research every product along the way and even then there are no guarantees.

dreamz
02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
You'll most likely get more comments/suggestions if you ask in the decorative/mural section.

Is the wall already standing that you will attach your panels to? If so you can use a thinner panel (easier to move)

Generally outdoor murals are done using an exterior acrylic latex, indoor murals use interior latex with some of the details done using artist paints. Again this is covered in various threads in the decorative section. You can browse there and get many of your questions answered or ask for specific help