PDA

View Full Version : Salinas Harbor

tonyjazz
02-14-2008, 03:55 PM
18 x 24 canvas. A scene from 1 mile out at sea looking at the harbor. C&C's welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2008/103497-100_3110.jpg

Linee
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Very tropical! I love the sense of big sky and warm breezes.

danworg
02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Tony....very nice.I particularly like the shaded hills.
One crit though....seems to be slanted left to right...probably just the cropped image...
Dan:)

MrsG_SoCal
02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I love your work, Tony! Very pleasing!

sonita
02-14-2008, 09:18 PM
This is really beautiful, I love the sky! I have the feeling that the waterline isn't straight though
Soni

Thomas Greaves
02-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I too really like that big sky....great light, and wonderfully painted. In fact I would have like to have seen even more of it, at the expense of some of the foreground water, which doesn't say so much, even though it is very well rendered..and a very good reflection of your sky tones. If you scroll your page down slightly so that it crops a little from the bottom of the image, you will see what I mean about the sky/water balance, I hope. That's just my opinion.
My only other suggestion is that the horizon looks a little hard, considering its distance.
Your value balance is pretty good, as is the colour rythm, and the inclusion of the birds certainly make this a very tangible scene.
I did also observe the slight slant, but as many of your verticals also have a slight slant in the same direction, I imagine it is just the crop on your photo.
Anyway this is a :thumbsup:

Thomas.

C_Line
02-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Quite lovely and inviting scene and very nicely executed Tony.

Sharrm
02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I too find the scene inviting, (a personally would love to be on one of those boats right about now) and I especially like your work with the sky!!!

TxAggieDarlin
02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Beautiful work........IMHO, I would like a little "sparkle" on the water.

LavenderFrost
02-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I like it! I find it very calming. I don't know how much realism you're going for, but I like the touch of surrealism in your paintings.

~~Kathleen
02-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Tony!
I do like this.
(-40C. here right now)
Wanna trade locations for a week or two?:lol:
There is a peacefullness in your painting.
I like that
~~Kathleen

dreamz
02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
I really like the sky and birds and the boats work very well. All in all this is a great piece.Im not sure about the darkness of mountain range, they appear closer than the rest of the piece would lead you to think. I wouldn't suggest you change them, just keep it in mind the next time. Otherwise the tonal variations in the mountins work to give them texture

CamiTampa
02-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Tony I like the overall effect of the painting. Something about the mountains keeps catching my eye though, can't put my finger on it.

Cami

amotwell
02-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I echo Cami's opinion. Just a guess, but perhaps the hills/mountains need a little hint of the other colors in the painting (turquiose, white) to make them fit in better? That might not be it, though. . .

tonyjazz
02-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanx all for the comments on this piece. Seems I'm getting some distortion lately on my camera and have asked some photo people about it. The horizon is straight but, I'm getting a curvature when I take the pics lately. Seems that the lens in the digi camera when used close up distorts the canvas. Actually gives me an arc on the edges. The mountains are a bit too crisp to show that they are really huge. These are the " cordillera central" mountains that almost tower up to 4,000 feet. I realized what I did wrong: In trying to capture the correct geography for the mountains I brushed them heavily and created a thick line instead of brushing them inward. Btw the mountains are pretty much that color though, almost a sea of greens. The touch of surrealism is always present in my art, just my style I guess. When I first started here I was informed that my art was in between surrealism and realism. " Surealismo Natural " in spanish.................kind of an oxymoron! Again, thanx for looking...............

dreamz
02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Tony, thats the main problem about commenting and going by the rules when you don't know the reality, you end up looking like the north end of a south bound donkey:lol: