PDA

View Full Version : New Anderson Easel

Scorpio
02-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Everybody,

I usually post in the oils and plein air forums, but I know a lot of you use this easel for your pastel work, and I thought I would post this info here, since I hadn't seen it before.

I just got a new Anderson Swivel Easel for a portrait class that requires using 16x20 canvas. The new Anderson will handle that size, but I understand the old one didn't. Dakota's customer service gal, (very informative and willing to take time to explain) told me that some of the other new features of this easel are: better and stronger hinges that support the fold-out flaps, and a strengthened swivel apparatus for the canvas support. Indeed, the swivel is so tight that I had a hard time moving it--I had to call Dakota to make sure that I was not going to break anything. (I thought maybe there was a screw tightener that I was missing.)

The literature that came with the easel says it is model AE-505. the literature also mentions that they are working on developing an easel that will hold an umbrella in the future. (An umbrella model that they will develop.) They also mentioned that they are considering developing a canvas holder that will hold "a longer canvas." I don't know if that means that it will be better for taller people, or just hold larger supports.

I'm not sure that these are new features, but there is a lock to keep the two fold out flaps in place when the easel is folded, and there is also a hook for a brush cleaner or whatever you want to use it for.

The easel with nothing in it but the provided palette weighs 9.2 pounds on my scale. My Versa easel and tripod weigh 11.2 pounds. The Anderson will also fit into a 21 inch carry on--it is tight but it works.

I think I am going to love this easel--it's light, I won't be reaching over my palette, and they have worked out most of the problems that people complained of. I work sitting, so height is not an issue for me.

Hope this information has been of value.
Emilie

Deborah Secor
02-15-2008, 12:12 AM
I have an Anderson Swivel that I got about a year and a half ago and it's dandy. I'd like to use a larger board in it. Wonder if you can swap out the newer mast...?

Could you show us a picture? Thanks!

Deborah

nvcricket
02-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi Emilie and Deborah!

This is my next planned purchase, and I now find myself hesitating and I really, really like the concept of not having to reach over my pastels.

I am now confused with all the different sizes they hold. I checked Jerrys site and the ad says it will hold 8x10 to 16x20. Then they have an update in Tech Notes giving the following info...

PRODUCT TECH NOTES

EASEL HAS BEEN REDESIGNED BY MANUFACTURE AND

NOW WILL ONLY HOLD UP TO A 11X14" LANDSCAPE

CANVAS.

In Dakotas ad it says it can hold 8" x 10" to a maximum 14" x 20" size.

Emilie you say yours will hold 16x20. Is it stable? Would a wind likely topple it? I am happy to hear that the swivel is tight, I wonder if after use it loosens up.

Deborah is your swivel still tight, or is it loosening?

I thank both of you for your reviews....Here is Deborahs review from when they first came out...
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375539

Thank you both.... I still plan on getting one. Just debating if now I want to wait until the umbrella model comes out!:)

Carol

Scorpio
02-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Deborah and nvcricket,

just got a new mac and am having a hard time editing images to the right size, so the pic may take awhile. I guarantee that this model will take a 16 x 20, because that is the first thing I tried.

I don't know what is going on with Jerry's tech notes--I did go on their website and see that-- and I saw the size description on Dakota as well.
I think it was a simple misprint on Dakota, because I did call and verify with customer service that it would take a 16 x 20. I have a tendency to order from people who can answer the most questions and sound knowledgeable, even if it costs more money. However, the Anderson was on sale at Dakota for $149 or so, cheaper than Jerry's, and Dakota seemed to know what they were talking about, so I ordered from them.

It possibly could topple if you had it extended to the full height and didn't tilt the canvas when a wind came up. It does come with a stone bag that you can attach to all three legs to weigh it down, but they say not to put more than 4 lbs in the bag. i will be using it seated, and it becomes more stable the lower it gets.

Deborah, maybe you could call the company?? It doesn't seem like it would be a difficult swap--maybe just those two top pieces that stretch out. I will try to figure out the image thing this afternoon.
Emilie

Deborah Secor
02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Mine won't hold a board that large. I have an 11x14" in it and really want the larger size! I'm going to look into a retro-fit for the larger board size.

I have had no trouble with the mast swiveling when I didn't want it to. It's tight but not difficult to move.

I haven't had any trouble with wind either--it's quite stable. One thing I like is that I can slant the mast backwards slightly and peer over the top of the board to paint. This one-to-one view is very nice! I swivel the mast, tilt it and go right on to the next painting. (I tape as many pieces of paper to the board as I think I'll have time to paint, maybe 3 or four layers, so when I finish one I can simply remove it from the board and the next sheet is all ready to go to work on...) I'm fairly short (5'4") and the lower mast works fine for me, plus tilting it backwards like that gives a lower profile into the wind.

I don't use an umbrella much. If I do I just clamp a small one to my board. Most often I just look for a shady spot and paint fairly fast.

Oh, and I bought mine at Dakota for the same reasons--good price and reputable dealers that back their products.

Deborah

BruceF
02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Here's Anderson's page on the easel:
http://www.andersoneasel.com/product_info.php?products_id=28

Snowbound
02-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I really want an Anderson swival easel, so that I have an all in one easel with a compartment I don't have to reach over (shoulder problem, I need to keep elbow close to body). But it bugs me that it doesn't hold larger panels in landscape mode, so have been putting off getting one. The 16x20 is portrait mode as I understand it. I wonder if that is what they meant by developing a holder for a "longer canvas"- being able to use a panel in landscape mode longer than 16 inches (less if the holders are in the way)? If so, I'll get one as soon as it comes out (and goes on sale!). And yeah, it will be from Dakata!

Dayle Ann

ColorOfMagic
02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
What is the box made of? Also I couldn't tell from the picture, Does it require a tripod or are the legs integral part?

Jim

Scorpio
02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Jim,

The legs are an integral part of the easel; no tripod required. The front legs are made of aluminum, and the back leg is wood. The rest of the easel seems to be made of wood also, except for the canvas holder, which appears to be metal.
Emilie