PDA

View Full Version : Class Demo -watercolor underpainting

Tom Christopher
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello- here is a demo I painted for a class . I have worked at the Iowa boys training school for a long time. Since there was no fine arts program , I started a pastel class about two years ago. Now we have our own studio/classroom and all the suppies I need. Too bad I plan to retire in couple of years This is pastel over watercolor on paper..28x18 inches..comment welcome
thanks Tom

watercolor uindrpainting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2008/35607-Handell_wip_001c.JPG

light layer of paste--identifying the darks
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2008/35607-Handell_wip_002c.JPG

More pastel -adding some color-trying to let most of the watercolor show
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2008/35607-Handell_wip_003c.JPG

FINISHED PAINTING
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2008/35607-Handell_wip_006.jpg

maw-t
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks so much for the class! I found this very interesting ad helpful .. I wat to try it!! Can one do the WC underpainting on some of the sanded papers?
This is beautiful! Love the contrasts!

Tom Christopher
02-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for the class! I found this very interesting ad helpful .. I wat to try it!! Can one do the WC underpainting on some of the sanded papers?
This is beautiful! Love the contrasts!

this is fun quick way to paint w/pastels --this painting is on NuArt sanded paper 400grit--thanks Tom

BabyBeeb
02-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Beautifully done. Thanks for the demo, it's incredible how that came together. Such color expression! Thanks for sharing your talents!

alaskan rose
02-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Tom, do you also do the watercolor underpaintings in your plein air work?

bruce johnson
02-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Hi Tom

I just love the brilliance of your colours.. It reminds me of Richard Schmid oils..

Donna T
02-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Tom, you should be commended for starting a fine arts program - and a pastel class! I hope your students know how lucky they are. Thanks for the demo. It's amazing to see the trees emerge from such an abstract underpainting. It's interesting that your goal is not to cover the underpainting but to let it show through along with the pastels. I guess this adds a little depth to the painting.

Donna

bachfan
02-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Oh, that wonderful tree trunks stand out of the brilliant color background, so beautiful!

AliciaS
02-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Tom thanks so much for showing this!!!one of these days i'm going to try this!

Todd Flaming
02-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Tom,
Absolutely wonderful work! I always enjoy the work you post, and learn a lot from them. Thank you,
Todd

maggie latham
02-14-2008, 09:31 AM
:) Tom,
This is a lovely painting. And good for you for starting a pastel class.:)

I have some questions for you:

Do you tape your pastel paper down to a board? Do you ever use Wallis or other pastel substrates?

Do you work at an upright easel for the first layer of wet washes?
What kind of watercolors do you use or prefer?

How do you stop yourself form entirely covering up the watercolor washes?

Do you layer the pastels over the top of each other or just put down color and leave it?

Do you do any blending with the pastels…if so, do use a different color pastel to blend or your fingers?

When you work in this loose way with watercolor, do you make a preliminary sketch on the pastel paper?

Which fixative do you use (if any) to keep the colors so vibrant?

Hope you don’t mind all the questions, but I have not been able to come to grips with combining my watercolors with pastel…one of the problems is that I tend cover up all the beautiful washes which kind of defeats the object!:lol:

Hope these questions will be helpful to other members also.

Maggie

Colorix
02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Thank you so much, Tom! Lucky students you have. Wonderful of you to give the kids the opportunity to discover art and their talents!

I second Maggie's questions, I'd love to know all those details too.

Margaret Dent
02-14-2008, 11:14 AM
LOL, Tom, I have no questions, Maggie covered them all! This is such a lovely, lovey painting, as always. Your technique totally amazes me. The image just seems to magically emerge out of abstract shapes and the colours are so vibrant. Since I have started playing with pastels I do so want to learn your technique. Do you ever visit Ontario (hint hint...)?

Margaret.

Tom Christopher
02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
:) Tom,
This is a lovely painting. And good for you for starting a pastel class.:)

I have some questions for you:

Do you tape your pastel paper down to a board? Do you ever use Wallis or other pastel substrates?

Do you layer the pastels over the top of each other or just put down color and leave it?

Do you do any blending with the pastels…if so, do use a different color pastel to blend or your fingers?

When you work in this loose way with watercolor, do you make a preliminary sketch on the pastel paper?

Hope you don’t mind all the questions, but I have not been able to come to grips with combining my watercolors with pastel…one of the problems is that I tend cover up all the beautiful washes which kind of defeats the object!:lol:

Maggie

Hi Maggie I will attempt to answer your questions.

Often I will l glue the pastel paper. You have to be carefull which glue you choose so it won't hurt the painting--Dick Blick has several. Normally I paint on gatorboard and mix my own ground-- I really feel more comfortable using this support. I have used Wallis and it is a very good paper to use this wet technique. However ,you will need to have the paper vacuum mounted on a sheet of hard surface or it will buckle.

I paint standing up with an upright and am constantly moving back and forth in order to see thw piece from different angles. I go ahead and let the wet paint run down and drip.. I buy the cheepest watercolors I can find -any decent brand will work

I concentrate on the shapes and their relationship .. trying to think more abstract--this will help to avoid becoming to detailed and covering the whole painting with pastel. .

I use both techniques --however the more I work with pastel the less I seem to apply layer on layer. The colors are more vibrant when you aply less layers

I hardly ever use my fingers to blend --the blending I do is when I put in the sky and only very lightly.

Just an vey quick pencil sketch to arrange the large shapes

the only time I use fixative to to darken an area--as it tends to turn dark immediately after spraying.

Hope you don’t mind all the questions, but I have not been able to come to grips with combining my watercolors with pastel…one of the problems is that I tend cover up all the beautiful washes which kind of defeats the object!

maggie latham
02-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Tom,

Gosh, you are such a gem!:)

Thank you for answering all those questions. Reading back through them I sounded very demanding……….SORRY. :o I really didn’t mean to sound demanding, demanding answers.

My initial reaction to your demo was…..Wow! That is beautiful!……and my mind was a blurrrrr with questions.

Thank you so much for answering and so promptly. You have definitely inspired me to try watercolor as an under painting.

Maggie

RooGal
02-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Tom, thank you for an excellent demo. Another I have saved to my favourites. I love the vibrant colours! Thanks also to Maggie for asking many questions I too had in my head and for your response.

Perhaps when you are ready to retire, you can hand the torch over to one of your more accomplished students to continue those classes.

Beautiful work, thanks again!

nana b
02-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Tom, I love your style and work. You are really nice to be so open with your techniques and I'm another one that will have to try it! Thanks again!

nana

klord
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
This is soooo cool, Tom. Thank you so much! I love your work and your style. Are you going to sell or show that green house/barn piece? That piece is so wonderful, too.

Kim

Geoff
02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Tom ..... :thumbsup:

Tracer
02-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Great demo and I loved the questions and answer period!!! Great work!!!

Rebecca Guyver
09-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Tom, I'm new to Wet canvas and in the new member forum I asked a question about doing a demo for an art society. I am scheduled to do one next week. I have never done anything like that before, although I am a teacher, I taught children and don't think of that as the same thing. I have 2 hours and have planned a slide show, a get your hands dirty session and thenI have a demo slot. I have pictures/slides showing progression, but feel a bit weak at the knees about actually demonstrating. How do you do it? There may be as many as 60 people! Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Lynndidj
09-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Absolutely beautiful Tom. And beautiful of you to share all of your love for art and painting with those boys - they will never forget you.

Lynn

pip66
09-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi Tom, Thankyou for a wonderful demo. I'm new to using pastels and this has helped greatly. I went and had a look at your blog and read that you are retiring this month, so I wish you many happy hours painting. Best wishes.

Vivien Maloney
09-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Hi Tom; love your abstract underpainting. I've underpainted quite a lot with Watercolor but not to such a loose degree. It works so well for you and I find it very interesting to see how your work progresses from your initial photo - you are indeed a master at this method! Thanks for posting this demo.
Viv

creatividee
09-07-2009, 08:09 AM
:clap: Tom, I'm excited. My attempts at watercolors have been well let's just say less than satisfactory to the point of nearly giving up. I typically have worked in oils, acrylic, and pen / ink. I've just recently tried my hand at pastels after spending time in the pastel forum. This technique however gives me inspiration to incorporate watercolors with acrylics and ink as well as pastels. I checked out your works on your website and I enjoyed what you have done. I lean toward landscapes but tire of what seems to be "run of the mill" styles. Thanks for sharing!!!

PETE K
09-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Tom, let me also thank you for the demo and all that info. thank you Tom.