PDA

View Full Version : Sunflowers in Vase

Vanche
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
This is my new painting.I had two goals starting it- 1/to experiment with underpainting with burnt siena and burnt umber,and 2/ to try painting on paper.I used paper for acrylics with textured surface,Daler-Rowney brand and the same brand of paints.The piece is 6x8.Anyway,it buckled up.Any ideas how to mount it on a sturdier support?And any CxC are much appreciated.Sorry for the sideway image.I just tried to avoid the glear.Used an image from RIL.Thank you olika.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2008/125813-100_0319.jpg

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
This is really pretty. I love the color and shapes in the vase.
Tracey

Vanche
02-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Thank you Tracey

Linee
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Very pretty. I like the color, light and shadow. I would suggest gessoing the back of the painting. Allow to dry and then flatten under something heavy. Also if you frame it in a photo frame (with a backing and glass) that will hold it in shape pretty well.

Vanche
02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Thank you Linda for your advice.I am going to try gessoing the back.

susme48
02-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Don't know if you are using an easel or just laying it down, or that my limited experience will help. But mostly I paint on paper, I like the feel of it. I found that if I clipped it to cardboard, cut just a bit bigger than the paper's width, I could work with it on my desk easel....I leave the cardboard taller so I can attatch a reference photo right above it, if I am using one. Hope this helps. I also found that using a medium instead of alot of water would keep it from buckling. If I tape them the tape always seems to tear the paper. Gonna buy a hair dryer and see if that will help with the tape one of these days...lol.

LavenderFrost
02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Pretty, I like the glassiness of the vase.

Thomas Greaves
02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I used to work exclusively with watercolours, and my method of reducing warping of the paper was as follows.
First allow your paper to have a pretty good soaking in clean ph neutral water, so that the absorption is pretty consistent throughout. Lift and hang vertically for a few minutes to allow the excess water to run off.
Next I laid the paper onto a flat, porous, untreated ply board, which was at least a few inches bigger in both directions. GENTLY sponge off any remaining excess water so that it still remains very damp, without being overly wet.
I then attached the paper to the board using three inches wide gum backed tape, the type which has water activated gum on the back. Overlap as much as you can onto the paper so that it will have good adhesion as it dries, cos the paper will try to shrink back to its original unstretched state. In order to help prevent this, and to stop the paper from pulling itself free from the tape, I used a few push-pins, in the corners, and if the format was quite large, along the edges also.
Now all that remains is to allow the paper to dry thoroughly. It SHOULD remain flat, and adhered by the tape. If not......try again.
You will find that the paper will warp again whilst painting if a lot of fluid is used without gesso-ing the surface first, but as it dries out, it should return to flat. The same applies when applying the gesso.
This might sound like a lot of preparation, but preparation of any painting surface is imperative if you wish to avoid problems later on.
Hope this helps.

Thomas

Vanche
02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Thank you susme48 for your good ideas about using the medium instead of water and the cardboard.I was not sure how to use the gel medium, I usually use it as glue in graft projects.
Thank you LavenderFrost I appreciate your opinion very much.
Thank you Thomas, it sounds like a lot of work.I will try some less time consuming methods but will save your post in my favorites for future reference.I would like to experiment with watercolors down the road.

WildGoose
02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Vanche-

I just did a painting ( 8 x6 ) a few weeks ago on what I believe is the same paper,
Daler-Rowney's System 3 110 lb. acrylic-textured painting paper... never have tried acrylics on paper before, had the same problem!

The Fix:
I used Gel medium spread onto Strathmore's 400 Series Smooth Art Board,
brayered the paper on top, turned it over on a flat surface and weighted it down with heavy books all night...

2 weeks, and it's still not warped:thumbsup: ... I imagine doing the same thing to gessoed MDF or masonite, or perhaps heavy-weight mat board would work as well..

Cheers!

WildGoose/Chris

CamiTampa
02-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I like the looseness of the flowers and vase. Beautifully done.
Cami

Vanche
02-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Thank you Chris for your idea.I am going to give it a try.
Thank you Cami I appreciate your opinion very much.