PDA

View Full Version : Book Shop

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I did this one last night. It's 8" x 10" on canvas. I really want to start doing more houses/buildings. But..... How do I not make it look like a Kindergartener painted it?? :( :(
Thank you!
Tracey
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2008/34305-bookshopsmall.jpg

sun_shine
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
its good tracey. I like it. Trust me, there is no way my 4yr old could paint this! I dont have any advice for you, bcoz i havnt been painting for long, but what i see here is something vibrant & inviting. I wonder if they have my collage book in there i've been after.lol

s_s.x

Thomas Greaves
02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Tracy, there are many clues here that indicate that it wasn't painted by a kindergarten. Your understanding of colour balance, composition, reflections, shadows and values, for instance. What lets you down with this piece is primarily the lettering [which in a piece of this size is perhaps superfluous]. The other thing you need to pay greater attention to is perspective.
Otherwise this is quite a well balanced and charming little painting.

Thomas.

Vanche
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I really like your colorful and exiting style.I like the way you translate the world into your own artistic language.I think that there are enough photo cameras to suit people who like photo realism but the things that really excite me are pieces of art like yours.thank you for shearing it with us.

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you Sunshine, Thomas, and Vanche! Thomas, perspective is challenging to me. That's one reason why I want to do more of it. I'll also work on the letters. (I've got to get the dictionary for "superfluous" first though.:lol: ) For me, I really like a more "fun" style than photo realism. I agree with you Vanche, if I wanted photo realism, I would just frame a photo.:lol: Thank you all so much for your suggestions!!
Tracey

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok Thomas, I looked it up. You're exactly right. I'll fix it.
Tracey

Linee
02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Inviting, endearing, but definitely not childish. :D I like it very much.

idylbrush
02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
The only way is to paint, paint,paint, when you are done evaluate and the paint, paint, paint, when you are done evaluate, paint, paint,paint............

Are you starting to see a pattern here?

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Thank you Linda and Howard! I'll keep on paintin'!
Tracey

Paulafv
02-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I thought this was charming. The Bookstore printing stood out, but it also adds to the charm. The way you can get around that next time is to print smaller, neater, just: Books, maybe backwards on the door. After a while, you will be able to do it your own way and still be happy with it. All your paintings have a certain charm, which is engaging, so don't lose that part of your style.

susme48
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
All I can do is agree with everyone else. I like it tho', the colors are really nice.

dreamz
02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Howard said it all. The painting itself is charming and far from amaturish. The hardist part of painting buildings is getting the perspective correct and the easiest thing to see is perspective thats off so a lot of care is needed in that area. Even a minor flaw like your open door can throw a whole piece off.
BUT.............
There's also a fine line that we walk when recreating a scene with a building, we want it to appear realistic without being an arcitectural rendering.
So back to Howards statement... practice, practice, practice

LavenderFrost
02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
You definitely have a fun style and it does not look like a kindergartener painted it. It does pay to get things like perspective right. Get your basic lines set and then go at it with the paint!

purplepansey
02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Tracey it doesn't look like kindergartner to me it has a really nice look like I want to go into the bookstore and spend some time browsing.

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Thank you so much Paula, Susan, Doc, and Michelle!! Great suggestions and I will work on them.
Tracey

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Thank you Purple!!
Tracey

gaykir
02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Tracey, Tracey, Tracey!! It's absolutely charming. Now do another and just keep going!

sonita
02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
What a charming and inviting place. No, you don't paint like a child...you might behave like one once in a while lol but that's a whole other story :) I am trying to do my 1st cityscape at the moment and I can understand how you feel but I have to tell you that I really like what you did with your work. Keep doing more buildings and in no time you will get the hang of it . If you keep on incorporating your unique style, you can't go wrong!
Soni

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Thank you so much Gayle and Soni!! (Soni, I try to behave like a child every chance I get!!:lol: )
Tracey

Andun
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
I like your painting:) Sure..the perspective is slightly off in places but that is easy to fix but the overall piece is quite good.

gurleygirl
02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you Anthony!
Tracey

C_Line
02-14-2008, 12:48 AM
It's charming and in harmony with your style. Just keep at it. I find this subject matter tough - but intriguing.

Patmonsi
02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I enjoy this one and BTW I took a look see at your website and enjoyed the rest of your work as well - they all give such a peaceful feeling. Great color composition s well.

*Violet*
02-14-2008, 04:17 AM
others have said it very well ... your painting is charming ... it is of your style ... just as your flowers aren't photorealistic, your architecture isn't as well ... but it is done with your charming style and flair for colour ... it's a fun painting ... i think you wouldn't enjoy painting perspectively correct architecture and signage as it isn't as spontaneous and lively as your style is ...

arl
02-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Great colours and composition.

gurleygirl
02-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Thank you so much Celeste, Patrick, Leah, and Arlene!!
Patrick, thanks for your comments on my website. Leah, you're exactly right. I like the more "fun" type paintings.
Tracey