PDA

View Full Version : Untitled - my newest venture

sun-rae
02-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Hello all,
Here's my new piece. I tried working with some layering of color. I like the way it's turned out so far. I'm not sure where I want to go from here though. I know that I need to fix some of the funky branches, but besides that I haven't decided if I think it's done or not.

I also haven't decided on a title for the piece yet. I have a few ideas, but nothing really feels right yet.

C&C welcome

This is acrylic paint on 11x14 stretched canvas.

Shown below are my WIP pics and where it's at right now.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/bekah_rae/untitled-a.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/bekah_rae/untitled-b.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/bekah_rae/untitled-c.jpg

idylbrush
02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Looking forward to seeing this carried to the finish. Great color.

Thomas Greaves
02-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I just love those big brave brushstrokes. I too am looking forward to see how you finish this.

Thomas.

sonita
02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I like the bg colors...the tree needs a bit more work as you already mentioned. Looking forward seeing the finished piece.
Soni

Linee
02-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I like the iridescent look to those colors in the background.

susme48
02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
I, too love the colors, what did you use for the background, if I may ask?

sun-rae
02-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I am using Luiquitex Basics paints. The background is Dioxazine Purple, a little Mars Black, Titanium White, and a touch of Ultramarine Blue.

Thank you all for your nice feedback :) It is very much appreciated.

sun-rae
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, I have been so busy the last week that I haven't had time to go back and finish this yet. But I'm hoping to get back to it very soon!

I had a question, for anyone who felt like responding....I was looking at this piece, and I really like it. And I was thinking about maybe making this into a series of paintings. My thought is to do this same image (the rainbow colored sky, with the tree) but to do each painting with a different underlaying color. (Is that the correct technical term?)

In this piece I started with a purple background. I was thinking of doing a series of six pieces, each with a different color background - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple (this one).

I was curious as to anyone else's thoughts on this. I am so new at painting and I'm not really sure how to go about creating a series of paintings. But I thought this would be interesting to see how the background color will affect the colors I paint on top. But I'm also not sure if the paintings would be TOO similar.

Any thoughts are welcome on this matter. :) And hopefully I'll be finishing this piece up and posting the final soon!

Charlie's Mum
02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
A series just needs a theme running through to link them.
I'm not sure your idea though would work if you use the same colours on top each time ........ how much can you see your underpainting coming through - and would a different colour make sufficient difference for a series of the same tree? JMO!

I do think you need to work on the tree though to refine its shape ..... branches get smaller as they extend out and up, so you don't want thick ones on the ends!
Take some time to study individual trees - perhaps each tree could be a different type?

sun-rae
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I know the branches need a lot of work. They are truly in a funk right now :)

I like the idea of maybe painting a different type of tree on each one. Hmm - well, I guess I'll just see what comes out. I have to finish this one before I can move on to the next anyway. Thanks for your input, Maureen.