PDA

View Full Version : First Commission from a total stranger...

Ms.Understood
02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
I haven't posted in a while. First: the never ending flu, Second: a plumbing disaster.
While the plumber was...plumbing. He noticed my work and asked if I could do a painting of one of his wife's favorite angel paintings but with her face on it. Likeness is so very difficult for me, and I've never seen his wife in person, but I took the challenge. :rolleyes: (what was I thinking???:confused: )

It has gone through many twists and turns, a lot of foul language was used in the making of what I have at this point. :o This is the best it's looked so far, but is it done?
He'll be back to do some more plumbing, and I'll see if HE thinks it looks like her. I was using a collage of 7 photos, but I was mostly focusing on one as the pose. He wanted me to thin her face a bit, since she's gained a little weight and is self conscious about it--lord knows I understand that.

So--reference painting (the body) I did not paint this!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2008/117883-angel_body_2.jpg

Face references: She's blond--the dark hair is a wig from Halloween-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2008/117883-angel.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2008/117883-agels_face.jpg This was the one I mostly worked from...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2008/117883-angel_with_wig.jpg

Starting painting--EEEKKKK:eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2008/117883-angel_last_inc..jpg

The most recent product: 12 x 12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2008/117883-angel_final.jpg

COMMENTS AND CRITIQUES ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!!!:wave:

rmc
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
OMG - you deserve a clap on the back and free plumbing for life!!!!!
you have taken on an unbelievable challenge and done really well!!!

my only tiny suggestion as the faces he gave you are all lacking in position / light and full features (you are amazing doing this!) is just check the level of the eyes , they look a tiny bit different in levels. Also decrease the darkness under the central chin - don't worry about 'separating it from the neck' all the way around - in fact for the tonal range pretty much copy the original painting as it will be rather narrow with the backlighting - a few watery washes of a base of tit white and yellow ochre added to your skin base colour over all the skin will prob accomplish this.

However having said all that - don't spend a second more on this unless you've fixed a huge price tag on it - you have done stupendously .... next job ask him to dismantel all the existing plumbing and fix the problem with what he can... blindfolded... oh and also don't worry about the sizes not matching - he'll be able to sort that out easy peasy ... might give him some insight into the challenges he set you!!!!

Ms.Understood
02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU RUTH!!!! I sooooo appreciate the huge compliment and the helpful advice.:heart:
I am debating what you have said, as the price tag is 1/15 of the plumbing costs thus far...To adjust, or not to adjust.
I have too much pride to let it go out the door feeling it is flawed...or do I....:evil:
Thank-you so much, though, I feel much better about it overall.:cat:

With the eyes--can you or anyone else explain more? Her head is at a slight tilt which gives me trouble as it is not as severe as the main reference pose...

The neck, I totally see!!! I do have to fix that.

Ms.Understood
02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
.... next job ask him to dismantel all the existing plumbing and fix the problem with what he can... blindfolded... oh and also don't worry about the sizes not matching - he'll be able to sort that out easy peasy ... might give him some insight into the challenges he set you!!!!

I keep coming back to reread this cause it makes me laugh out loud!!!:lol: I want to print it out for him.

I needed this laugh !!!:thumbsup:--this is my second plumbing flood in 6 months--two totally different rooms.:mad:

amurphy
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
You got great advice so the only thing I would add, is make the wings more red than purple, since she probably knows this angel well. As for charging, I agree with Ruth, think like a plumber, "this is a bigger job then I first quoted you!"

Linee
02-12-2008, 06:20 PM
This is quite challenging! Good for you! You've given her quite the demur look, fitting for the subject.

Ms.Understood
02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Audrey:D --the picture really makes the wing look purple for some reason, it doesn't quite read like that in life. I used some pearl red paint in the wings, and I think it's reflecting funny in the photograph.

Linda, I appreciate the positive feedback on her "look".

If he decides he wants improvement, I will tell him it'll cost him!:p

I know it's hard to say, but do you all see any "likeness"?:o

edtree
02-12-2008, 07:22 PM
:wave: Jenny...I feel for you on this. Personally, I think all the reference photos are bad. For one, none of them looks anything like the others! I can understand why you chose the one you did for your main reference considering your choices but, it skews her face and would be hard to pin down a likeness - especially someone you don't know!

Under these circumstances, you've done a great job! :thumbsup:

Suggestions: It appears her eyes are too large and a bit high. Also, maybe make the front leg a bit bigger. (Though I agree with Ruth on how much time and tweaking might should equal the compensation).

I love the expression. Kind of contradictory to an angel, hehehe, very sensual! Love the body, wings and background. You're almost there. YaY for you for the commission! WhooHoo! :clap:

Elizabeth

Ms.Understood
02-12-2008, 09:02 PM
:wave: YaY for you for the commission! WhooHoo! :clap:

Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth!

Well, in the midst of all this banter, he came to see it--I told him I did want to touch up a couple of things before he took it. When he saw it he said "Wow" a dozen times, then said he was about to cry! He handed me the other 1/2 of the money and said "I'll just take it now." He asked for several of my cards so he could recommend me to clients and such. He did admit the face was a little off, but gushed that it was very close. I feel pretty good!!!:music: woo-heeee!!

I just hope SHE likes it!:wink2: You know us women, were a lot more critical!

Andun
02-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Congratulations Jenny! If the customer is happy then that is all that matters isn't it and he,obviously was happy!

Thomas Greaves
02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Jenny,
Before I become critical, let me say that I am perfectly impressed by the vast majority of this painting. The blending, background, torso, gown and wings are great. I wouldn't alter anything there.
The area I haven't included is the head, which gives me a few concerns.
My personal opinion is that it was better before you worked it up. It had softer edges which gave it a better form. The left side now looks a little too steeply angled, and thinner. I think that is what is giving the impression that the eye is out of line. I also think there is too much white showing beneath the iris of that eye, making it seem to be rolling upwards.
Hope that helps.

Thomas

Ms.Understood
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
This was not an easy painting. I don't know if I'd take another commission portrait. The only ones I've done with any real success I have known the person well. Plus trying to paint a figure so successfully done by the original painter was more difficult than I'd ever imagined.

I appreciate all the feedback immensely. I strive to improve and all your comments help me so much!

Thank-you Anthony and Thomas!

susme48
02-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Congrats on the commission, very sorry about the plumbing, but then one came from the other...so? YOu did a great job with what you had to work with....I can totally relate, to the problems of trying to do it. I am impressed.

edtree
02-13-2008, 07:28 AM
:wave: Hi Jenny!

Well how great is THAT! Wonderful news that he loved it, over and over again, and that you didn't have to tweak more. AND that he's going to send more work your way!!!! I have a feeling the wife will love it too. Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I echo your thoughts on commissioned portraits. I did one last year that took me a month of fussing and received thirty dollars for my efforts. I now say no to all portrait commissions. Who knows though; that may change when I get the confidence to charge appropriately.

For you, however, I was thinking how great it would be if you took your unique style and incorporated it into commissioned portraits. For instance...someone's face in that tree piece you just did. Very cool concept. I think it would be almost like caricature, but with your style and grace. Isn't it funny how you never know what wonderful twist or turn might come along out of the blue - like plumbing work leading to paid art! I'm very thrilled for you (and will quit babbling now!) :D

Elizabeth

Ms.Understood
02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Elizabeth--It's like you read my thoughts as I was painting this the other day!:)

Some day, when I grow up,:rolleyes: I'd like to have more background in photography, and set up an area where I could photograph a subject the way I would want them posed for the portrait that would be in my own style. (Of course, this particular painting was a surprise for her and another I did of my friends father who passed away--so in these cases I wouldn't have had that option--set up or not.)

I really appreciate your babbling:lol: .

Susan--I thought of you and "Barbara Bush" during the process.:wink2: I wish I could be a fly on the wall when he gives his wife the painting--I only hope she is 1/3 as pleased as he seemed to be...

It is very great to hear all the ideas and and thoughts everyone has based on what I am struggling with. As if I needed any reminders, everyone on wetcanvas who lends me insight to what they think about the items and dilemas I post really help me!! Sometimes the voices in my own head get too loud, it's nice to break away!:evil:

LavenderFrost
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Congrats, not only on getting the commission but on taking it as well! I wouldn't have wanted to try that. Good work and I'm so happy for you that the guy was so pleased.

Ms.Understood
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Michelle. The more I think about it, the happier I am I agreed--which probably means if asked again--despite all my stated doubts, I will take the challenge!:lol:

jeff m
02-14-2008, 01:39 AM
I imagine you lost some sleep over this one.
I have just mailed you my photograph, I would like you to make me look like George Michael or David Bowie. :D

As I scolled down the page, I was feeling a little worried for you, then when when I reach the final one. Hell, she's done it.

AND with the house plumbing on the line:lol:

You got the likeness needed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ms.Understood
02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I imagine you lost some sleep over this one.
I have just mailed you my photograph, I would like you to make me look like George Michael or David Bowie. :D

As I scolled down the page, I was feeling a little worried for you, then when when I reach the final one. Hell, she's done it.

AND with the house plumbing on the line:lol:

You got the likeness needed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff--Im on your assignment, but feel "Bradd Pitt" surfacing instead, hope that's OK!:lol:

Funny, in my first edition of this piece, she struck me as Tori Spelling!:eek:

Thank-you so much for the "Hell, she's done it". :D That means more to me than you can imagine.:wave: