PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Portrait WIP

MadMaddy
02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I received a portrait commision recently and here is where i am so far. I think I have the boy's skin mostly done, I have to add a few more details and finish the mouth, then on to hair and sill have the ear to do before I can go on to the girl.

This one has been tough for skin tone as he is Jamaican and has a fair complexion, almost caucasion fair but not as pink so it has been a challenge to get that right and I feel I am close but still not sure; feels like it is a bit too orange. Only my second attempt at acrylic painting of a face.

Anyway, just wanted to post what I was working on and hope to get any comments and critiques that you guys have to offer. I will probably x-post in portraiture as well to see if they see anything structurally that my be a problem.

I had to make up my own lighting for this as the photo I am working from was taken with a flash and it is pretty obvious, I will include the reference as well. I have other references from outdoor photos that show his skin tones much better since the flash photo really changes things for skin tones.

Thanks for looking.

Linee
02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
A challenging task to take a photo and change lighting. You are doing a superb job. Look forward to the progress.

arl
02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
I look forward to seeing it when completed.

Thomas Greaves
02-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Lara, This is coming along nicely. I think the skin tones are fine. But I think you have a slight problem with his cheek definition. When I compare with the ref. the definition of the lower right cheek looks a little high, just above the mouth. I think your shadows in that area are a little too strong also, giving him a deeply creased look.
Just my opinions, and maybe irrelevent at this stage of the painting.
Good luck with completing this. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Thomas.

sonita
02-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Looks good so far :) Looking forward to see the finished piece.
Soni

Ms.Understood
02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Great start! Looking forward to seeing more!

Assaf
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Going great. The boy's eyes need a bit of work, there's a tendency of portrait artists to enlarge the eyes (as in your case).

I'm also waiting to see more. Hope I can help.

susme48
02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Can't wait to see more, I also have trouble with some types of skin tones. Yours are looking good, just as you said a little orangey yet. But I was told all skin tones start with orange, no matter who they are, it is just what you mix with it that changes the complexion.