PDA

View Full Version : I won the swimming race!!

rmc
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone - school hols are over and my garden plague has been dealt to for this week so have finally got the brushes - was a bit daunted by the blank canvas but have decided to just jump straight back in....

This is my 17 yr old niece - a great swimmer! - never happier then with a couple of hours of swimming under her belt for the day! She is very competitive too!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2008/83066-adri5.jpg 1

14 x 18 inch gallery wrap canvas

I am feeling very rusty - hope to give this to my sister who has bought her daughter back to NZ to study at varsity and leaves on Saturday to return to south america - they may not see each other for sometime....

so please let me know it this works for you and any critique will be most appreciated - my husband thinks it isn't great as her head is turned and it looks like she doesn't have a neck.

gurleygirl
02-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Beautiful!!!
Tracey

SuzySue
02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I love the eyes and the lighting. The over the shoulder pose is wonderful and effortlessly captures her happiness . Don't see any issues with the neck.

Fainsbert
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I love it! I think the turning of her head makes it even more delightful.
Beautifully done!

Lucie

amaze_1101
02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
WOW THIS is perfectly executed Ruth. No problems with the neck at all. It is such a fabulous composition and extremely natural. Golly girl, you continuously stunnnnnn me with your work.

Your sister will be stunned also and probably extremely grateful to you.
I gotta keep looking at it..... The light on her hair is terrific and gives it the "wow" factor.

Paulafv
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Love the purples in the skin and the hair glimmers. Lovely girl. Her mom will like this, I'm guessing.

idylbrush
02-11-2008, 09:20 PM
It works like all get out.

jeff m
02-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Great teeth, light on the back and hair.
It really does look "straight out of the pool"

Your fear of being rusty look unfounded, as I'm sure your sister will confirm.

Lady Carol
02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Excellent work Ruth. What is not to love about this piece?

sonita
02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree with the others, the over the shoulder look makes it even more charming and natural...she will love the painting :) I love how you captured the light in her hair and the shoulder. Beautiful work!
Soni

Linee
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I love her pose. Excellent work. I especially like her hair. And you've captured the outdoor light wonderfully! I almost want to see a bit more pupil in her left eye, but it is it is probably correct as is. Anyway, definitely no rust in this one! ;)

rmc
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement _ it's lovely to see you Tracey, Sue, Carol, Paula, Howard and Jeff (teeth did need a couple of going overs to get them the right look:lol: ) Thanks for popping in Soni and Lucie -

- I've painted it around the sides - done a little tweaking - will sit it to one side and look at it to decide if it is finished.

"Love the purples in the skin and the hair glimmers"
it was a challenge to do the face in a cool pallette - there is a lot more blue and green then I normally use - but I wanted to capture the warmth of the sun in her hair... thanks

'The light on her hair is terrific '
Hiya Elaine - great to see you - bet you're enjoying the rain....
I painted the hair by approximation - gradually working my way up to smaller shapes - last night wasn't so sure i would pull off - :lol:

Roger Evans
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Pretttttty. Nice work. You can really tell the hair is wet.

Roger

rmc
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks Roger - I was just looking at your enlargement and see you achieved th.e texture on the skin at the light / shadow interface - I chickened out of this level of detail as well as the water drops ... lol

loobyteacher
02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I love it! Very nice.

Andun
02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Soooooo real looking! Wow!!!!

nithya_swamy
02-12-2008, 12:57 AM
The lighting is too good for words! Awesome portrait.

Lulu
02-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Oh this is STUNNING Ruth!!! absolutely NO signs of rust at all!!!!:lol:
A perfect pose, and perfectly executed.
I guess I won't get to see it if you are giving it to your sister before she leaves, but I've got LOADS of questions to ask you about it!!!

Wow!

edtree
02-12-2008, 07:05 AM
:wave: Great painting, Ruth! One of the things I love is the way you've captured perfectly the age of your niece. Wonderful little details too on the hair, the teeth, etc. I am not seeing anything wrong in the neck area although depending on who it is, I usually seriously consider my non-artist and family's opinions because they are looking from a totally different perspective. Sometimes it's hard to tell unless you see a piece in real life whether or not it needs a tweak. In other words, this will probably have to be your call in the end, and I have no doubt you'll make the right decision.

Anyway, outstanding work from where I sit! :clap: :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

C_Line
02-12-2008, 07:46 AM
This is GORGEOUS and engaging. I LOVE the posture/position of the head - so natural. You just excel at these luminous, youthful portraits.

arl
02-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Absolutely stunning.

amurphy
02-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Agree with all the above.........Fantastic! Love the light in her hair.

solonite
02-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah!!!!! She is a winner in more ways than 1! Fantastic job-you really captured it. She has the feel of breathlessness and accomplishment!
Great!
Susan

bionicanaconda
02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Indeed this is superb. Very well done.

TxAggieDarlin
02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
wow............What a special painting. Has your niece seen this one? I bet she is loving it.

Ozone
02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Ruth,

She's breaking hearts already, I can tell.

Ozone

Ms.Understood
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
You did a great job--she has that kind of heated from excersize, yet cool from out of the water into the wind look. The hair is fantastice. REALLY nice.

plec
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Ruth this is simply Beautiful, congratulations,
Best wishes, Ken..

rmc
02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks so much - it has really lifted me having all your affectionate support - thanks Celeste, Lulu, Ozone, Elizabeth, Bioconda,TxAggiedarlin, Ken, Michelle, Anthony, Susan, Nithya, Arl, loobyteacher and Linda

My husband has been very negative about this one - he has a good eye for facial anatomy or anomalies!!!!- and when I managed to pin him down apart from the neck issue or posture he didn't like the forehead - it looked cromagnon, the nose too broad, the smile false or strained and the mouth assymmetrical, the hair over her eye was distracting him wanting to tidy it away - the hair in the center of the forehead looked like a crabs claw .... so there has been extensive revisions.....
will photo once there is light and see if it looks better - I'm favoring leaving the hair over her eye - I like it and removing it has left her with unsightly symmetry.

Lulu
02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Phew!!! I'm so pleased I'm not married to a surgeon!!!!:lol::lol:
My DH has just looked and he said that cromagnon's are highly intelligent:lol:

DON"T take the hair off the face pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!

loobyteacher
02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
ha ha, My husband is the same way!!! He always tells me what I am doing wrong in my work. Believe me I am not complaining, because he does help me to see things that are incorrect. I just think it funny that they can be soooo critical at times. Sometimes their own personal preferences interfere, when there really isn't all that much wrong with it. The only problem is that you have to LIVE with him, and he may hound you about it for some time :)
It really is beautiful and if you do make changes please update the photos for us. Best wishes for you and your "help" mate.

mrs willow
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I think this is a beautiful painting. Congratulations!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sandy

rmc
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks Sandy, Lulu and looby teacher -
they mean well and can't understand why the critique is not always recieved gladly......:lol: :lol: :lol: however in this case I do want the portrait to be pleasing to the eye especially for my sister and i don't want her to be distracted by any wierd bits.

the hair has gone back in ... I do prefer it with the hair on her face.. and Murray is off to Queenstown so won't get to see this again....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2008/83066-adri7.jpg

LavenderFrost
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Wow Ruth! Amazing work, especially love the hair.

gaykir
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
This is so lovely! It has such a natural feel to it! Hair is so hard for me but you're done just a superb job. What a treasure this will be for her.

Mixael
02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Ruth, I SOOOOO wish I had seen this post earlier! I absolutely love it!

I could go down the list of reasons that I think It looks great, but everyone else has already done that. I will simply say that it is of the quality that I someday hope to be able to replicate.

I think that you did a perfect job, and I can assure you that if I think it's good, then it's good. :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs up and a clap :clap:

Michael

Patmonsi
02-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Just brilliant, you captured the moment and who she is as a person.

*Violet*
02-14-2008, 04:02 AM
i too could so easily repeat all the wonderful comments and compliments already given ... it's a fantastic painting and one that your sister will cherish !! ... you've done a marvelous job of skin tones in shadow and water in her hair ... i recognize your hubby's comments as ones often given by ... being brave to say this ... someone who's more left-brained, in my experience ... right brain being more tuned to spacial things like turned figures and being able to understand things without seeing them (like the rest of her body) ... it is an *understanding* thing ... as the artists here *understand* your painting ... and your sister, her mother, will definitely understand .... and love it

Thomas Greaves
02-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Ruth, I don't know how I missed this before. But I'm certainly glad I finally came accross it.
This is really really good! The contrast of lighting between the face and the shoulder are just right, and that smile is fantastic. So often the smile is not echoed in the eyes, but you certainly didn't miss it. The rendering and brushwork in the highlighted hair is spot on too.
Your niece may have won the race, but you take the prize for your efforts here.

Thomas.

C_Line
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Feeling the light through the hair is terrific. I have to say your handling of the hair is what makes this painting for me. Just outstanding.

Margaret 59
02-15-2008, 12:00 AM
She does look very happy to have won and you have captured it so well, Ruth. The hair looks very realistic and your sister will be thrilled to bits, I'm sure. :thumbsup: :clap:

~~Kathleen
02-15-2008, 12:29 AM
What a joyous painting Ruth!
As for your husband....
he has a good eye for facial anatomy or anomalies!!!! You may want to take up painting trees?:lol:

Nope, you are too good at portraiture.
Somehow you always capture the absolute essence of the face.
Wonderful job (again)
~~Kathleen